Path of Exile 3.16 Balance - Part 3 - Auras, Curses and Elemental Damage Over Time

"
Robredo wrote:

"The cold dot effect that has nothing to do with ailments is totally an ailment trust me bro" And I'm the one spreading misinformation? Good to know.

Dude, this is the last time I respond to you. You are way too salty.

The first sentence says "Greatly improve the base strength of Ignite, Burning and Cold Damage over Time, while making Elemental Overload and Elemental Equilibrium less powerful or require more investment with Damage over Time skills".

It is clearly implied that EO will work with Damage over time skills. There is no goddamn word about only ailments in this sentence.

I know that in the actual explanation auf EO it is worded differently, but as I stated earlier, I think that the wording here is not precise.

Have a nice day.
So, parties just gonna run 2 aurabots instead of one to use all auras, and they gonna buff the damage only x25 instead of x100? So the primary target for nuke actually dodged it?
3.13 Was the best league ever!
3.18 Rest in peace my beloved recombinators, I'm gonna miss you...
GET ROLLED AURA CUCKS LOLW
Anyone who is surprised by this change hasn't played that long. There was a time when you could snapshot your mana reservation and run tons of auras for free, a time when you could get perma immortal call, get 100+% elemental resist, perma vaal IC, zerphis immortality, etc.

For anyone upset you should play a different game if you want your build to last more than 5 leagues. Aura stackers have been the best build for quite a long time. The guy who hit 100 quick in HC did it with an aura stacker which basically made it easy mode. I made a garbage version of an aura stacker for cheap and it was better than most of my other builds. There's no reason you can hack together a 20 ex build and make it invincible to all content when everyone else is trying their hardest to get a few million dps and get some life on their garbage build.

I hope ggg doesn't listen to the whiners this time. They had their fun with a broken meta once again. Time for a new broken meta.
"
Xelter96 wrote:

I quit WoW because of exactly those reasons and I'll never pay again for any games Blizzard related. I found POE after I quit WoW, a game I thought I could have fun without having to worry about my builds getting destroyed, just do my own thing, have my own fun.

And then 3.15 killed my CoC that I had just built, without any warning.

And then 3.16 killed my 25+ mirrors aura stacker that I had just built, without any warning (I'm not a youtube, reddit, forum, name it fanboi therefore I had no idea that "it was coming")

25+ mirrors? Gee, I wonder how you got those. I do have a sneaking suspicion that the money you invested was less for cosmetics though...

"
Players who play aura stackers are RICH PEOPLE. And do you know what RICH PEOPLE do in this game? We make the economy WORK, we create gear, we provide constant inflow of currencies in all aspects of the game and much more.

This good be right out of the playbook of capitalists. Oh without us nothing would work. But it does. You are not needed to provide gear - quite the opposite, you people are destroying the market for EVERYONE else. You are "needed" because no one else can compete and so no one else even bothers. There are whole market shares that are not being farmed or produced for because it does not make sense if you do not play such a build yourself.

"
And also, RICH PEOPLE in the game also SPEND IRL MONEY on your (very) expensive cosmetics, because we want our amazing characters that we spent TIME, EFFORT, CURRENCY to build to look good.

Richness in game has nothing to do with richness IRL. Well, except for those that bought their "riches" in the game via IRL-money...
"
Escwald wrote:
"
Galtrovan wrote:

The Efficiency Formula is: 100 / (100 + X), where X is the sum of efficiencies. – –
So with this, if Essence Worm has 80% reduced efficiency:
– –
A 50% aura costs 250%, cannot run it
Essence Worm got nerfed hard.

That formula works for positive efficiency, but does not work well with reduced efficiency. – –
Then you would instead assume that with reduced efficiency you would instead multiply the cost in the same way.
IMO, the reasonable expectation is that reductions and increases instead follow the same logic as on all other PoE instances of having reductions and increases to some statistic. Breaking with this system would be a notable departure from previous signaling. Whatever other faults GGG might have, my experience is that in this particular area they are quite predictable.

We have several existing systems that work in a similar fashion: you divide a "base" score with an implied "efficiency" score, and you have some increases and reductions that are applied to the divider (the efficiency score). Examples include:
– Cooldown Recovery Rate
– Attack and Cast Speed

The actual Cooldown Recovery time of a skill, for example, is also given by R = B/(1+S), where B is a base cooldown rate and S is the sum of applicable increases and reductions to Cooldown Recovery Rate. This can be easily verified by linking, say, level 1 Second Wind and Enduring Cry. No reductions suddenly multiplied separately, and ultimately nothing super fancy going on. :)

For Cast and Attack Speed, the potential division by zero is avoided by forcing the effective Speed modifiers to never go below -99%. Either something like that happens if you wear two Worm rings, or maybe your reservation skills just get disabled; either way it's the difference of a level 1 Clarity requiring 3400 Mana off-ring or being disabled, decidedly not a real issue. :) A real issue is where the scenario stems from, i.e., whether the current numbers on the ring are intended.

The amount of posts on the topic of one ring probably suffices at this point (even if 5% of the current ninja trade ladder are wearing it on misc builds), but while I'm rambling, I'd make two suggestions for when properly introducing the new Efficiency system:
– An alternative explanation that I've seen is "If you want to reserve 150% worth of Auras at the cost of all of your mana, you will need a sum of 150%-100%=50% increases to Reservation Efficiency. For 200% worth of Auras, you would need 200%-100%=100%, and so on."; this might be helpful as an additional cliff notes version.
– Explicitly saying that it works like Cooldown Recovery Rate (which some players will be familiar with and which already has some materials available around the internet).
"
Serdoa wrote:
"
Xelter96 wrote:

I quit WoW because of exactly those reasons and I'll never pay again for any games Blizzard related. I found POE after I quit WoW, a game I thought I could have fun without having to worry about my builds getting destroyed, just do my own thing, have my own fun.

And then 3.15 killed my CoC that I had just built, without any warning.

And then 3.16 killed my 25+ mirrors aura stacker that I had just built, without any warning (I'm not a youtube, reddit, forum, name it fanboi therefore I had no idea that "it was coming")

25+ mirrors? Gee, I wonder how you got those. I do have a sneaking suspicion that the money you invested was less for cosmetics though...

"
Players who play aura stackers are RICH PEOPLE. And do you know what RICH PEOPLE do in this game? We make the economy WORK, we create gear, we provide constant inflow of currencies in all aspects of the game and much more.

This good be right out of the playbook of capitalists. Oh without us nothing would work. But it does. You are not needed to provide gear - quite the opposite, you people are destroying the market for EVERYONE else. You are "needed" because no one else can compete and so no one else even bothers. There are whole market shares that are not being farmed or produced for because it does not make sense if you do not play such a build yourself.

"
And also, RICH PEOPLE in the game also SPEND IRL MONEY on your (very) expensive cosmetics, because we want our amazing characters that we spent TIME, EFFORT, CURRENCY to build to look good.

Richness in game has nothing to do with richness IRL. Well, except for those that bought their "riches" in the game via IRL-money...

You seem to be one of those people who think that anyone who has success in life (or in game) are stealers, cheaters, and abuse the system.

And you got my last quote wrong. Rich and devoted people in the game who built strong & expensive characters are more motivated to spend on cosmetics than casual players.

I'm not trying to convince the pleb that I'm right and you are wrong. I wanted to get my message straight to where it must go.
"
rotting_fox wrote:
Anyone who is surprised by this change hasn't played that long. There was a time when you could snapshot your mana reservation and run tons of auras for free, a time when you could get perma immortal call, get 100+% elemental resist, perma vaal IC, zerphis immortality, etc.

For anyone upset you should play a different game if you want your build to last more than 5 leagues. Aura stackers have been the best build for quite a long time. The guy who hit 100 quick in HC did it with an aura stacker which basically made it easy mode. I made a garbage version of an aura stacker for cheap and it was better than most of my other builds. There's no reason you can hack together a 20 ex build and make it invincible to all content when everyone else is trying their hardest to get a few million dps and get some life on their garbage build.

I hope ggg doesn't listen to the whiners this time. They had their fun with a broken meta once again. Time for a new broken meta.

Oh we're not surprised GGG is making this change.
They've been punching aura based builds in the balls for years.

Here's why it's blatantly uneccessary this time.

We're not snapshotting auras we're literally gearing ENTIRE CHARACTERS around them. Which is not cheap. Headhunter BY ITSELF is more powerful than aurastacking. Guess what also costs not even 10% of a geared aura stacker? HEADHUNTER.

That aura stacker that hit 100 real quick?
It was delirium league, and was only meta for HALF that league because GGG broke tradition and nerfed a build mid league. Screen wide cyclone headhunter during legion? Iiiiitttt'sssss FINE.

An actual aura build being viable solo for half a league HERESY.
So you can stuff the "broken meta" bit because there's plenty in the game STILL more broken than aura stackers ever were.

Perma immortal call didn't make you invincible, it only blocked 100% phys. BTW that means there are still four other pretty common damage types to push your shit in with.

"Oh but it's difficult to get the damage"
Getting the damage has NEVER been hard in this game.
Surviving long enough to deal it has always been the challenge.

People literally only whinge about spongy bosses because those same bosses will one tap you from offscreen i.e. sirus.

The "meta" YOU are whinging about is called MULTIPLAYER.
Of course maximizing is gonna be different in a PARTY versus solos.
Patch notes have 90%+ of the numbers tuning, without which nothing is certain.(but aura stacking is harshly limited, every build with 0-3 auras we don't know)

But doesn't parts 2 and 3 look like mostly nerfs? Some ignite builds got substantial buffs, but it looks like Vortex got nerfed substantially from 3.15. I thought the idea was to rebalance away from/revert 3.15?

Part 1 did very decent at making ailments sane, I was happy there. It looks like some major builds got nerfed hardcore, and a lot more nerfed moderately. Was that the design intent?

I'm playing regardless, though it may well be my last league. And all cold dot multi/elemental damage on passive tree could be tripled or something, but my optimism has plummeted. Vortex was struggling in 3.15, multiple mana nerfs gutted a lot of builds. Armor still looks to be a bad stat, likely net worse without aurabot abuse.

No really, were there supposed to be buffs from 3.15 levels, or just ailment fixes and nerfs?
Removed 90% more damage from EE and E for DOT builds, base damage increase in skills is minimal given this absurd nerf, you think buff these skills but actually killed them, review it please GGG.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info