Path of Exile 3.16 Balance - Part 3 - Auras, Curses and Elemental Damage Over Time

"
totally agree they should kill the aura bots and introduce support for aura stackers I have been saying this since Delirium ... since I started playing the game ... aura stacker is a very fun way to play the game ... will always love the aura stacker playstyle... I hope they read through the feedback...

But why explain please. You don't want to play with Aurabots, don't play. Play solo.
"
"
totally agree they should kill the aura bots and introduce support for aura stackers I have been saying this since Delirium ... since I started playing the game ... aura stacker is a very fun way to play the game ... will always love the aura stacker playstyle... I hope they read through the feedback...

But why explain please. You don't want to play with Aurabots, don't play. Play solo.

Ñ :v
"
groink19 wrote:
"
Robredo wrote:

For EO did you read the text? It's hit and ailment damage. Vortex DoT is neither a hit nor an ailment so unless you are planning to go for a hit based Vortex build it does NOTHING even if you somehow manage to crt once every 8 sec WITH VORTEX and no other skill.

I'm pretty sure that the wording "Ailment Elemental Damage" includes Cold Damage over time. And it shouldnt be too hard to crit every 8 seconds.

"The cold dot effect that has nothing to do with ailments is totally an ailment trust me bro" And I'm the one spreading misinformation? Good to know.
"
Ñ :v

This is perhaps the only logical reason to remove aurabots instead of a huge nerf.
I like the change of reduced reservation to reservation efficiency in the abstract. I always found it odd how absurdly strong a marginal 1% reduced reservation was toward the top end, and this addresses the wonky scaling reduced reservation always had, to an extent. However, I am a bit surprised with the values and how few auras it seems we will now be able to run, even when fully investing into reservation efficiency. I guess I expected something more like less aura effect on other players as an answer to aura bots rather than reducing the capacity.
Also, just to add my voice to the consensus, I hope the new aura effect notable will apply to minions in the final implementation.

As far as low life being the sensible way to stack auras, I found it entirely possible to run most or all the auras as Chaos Inoculation instead of low life, but Pain Attunement (without having to sacrifice the belt slot for a belt that is not Headhunter) and Righteous Fire were two attractive and efficient reasons I usually opted for low life instead.

I'm also curious about how mana reservation efficiency will interact with blood magic, which ... probably won't be great, but could have some niche uses. Or arrogance.
"
Notorphious wrote:
Ah nice. As expected you managed to kill the entire archetype instead of nerf party effect. So now after all, with the others, I'll be leaving too.
Maybe when there is literally anything left to work for in the game that isn't the target of destruction, I will return.

I support this message.

Still I'll try the league but I really understand those who won't.
"
Escwald wrote:
"
Galtrovan wrote:

The Efficiency Formula is: 100 / (100 + X), where X is the sum of efficiencies.

This can confirmed using GGG's examples:

100% increased efficiency results in a .5 multiplier
100 / (100 + 100) = 100 / 200 = .5, which halves the cost of all reservations; so can run four 50% auras

50% increased efficiency results in a .67 multiplier
100 / (100 + 50) = 100 / 150 = .666...repeating, which reduces the cost of all reservations by 1/3; so can run three 50% aura's, assuming GGG doesn't screw up the rounding; if .66 is rounded up to .67: 50 x .67 = 33.5, times 3 would be 100.5 which would prevent you from turning on the third 50% aura that GGG stated you could run

So with this, if Essence Worm has 80% reduced efficiency:
100 / (100 - 80) = 100 / 20 = 5, which is 5 multiplier, 5 times the mana reservation cost, which means without any efficiency investment you are not running a second aura, barring 10%:
A 10% aura costs 50%
A 25% aura costs 125%, i.e. greater than 100% you cannot run it
A 35% aura costs 175%, cannot run it
A 50% aura costs 250%, cannot run it

Essence Worm got nerfed hard.

That formula works for positive efficiency, but does not work well with reduced efficiency. Since if you would end up with division by 0 in your formula, if you had 100% reduced efficiency and the Internet would implode.

If you look at their statement:
"
Reservation Efficiency works by dividing the cost of the Reservation Effect: 100% increased Reservation Efficiency would halve the cost of all Auras.

Then you would instead assume that with reduced efficiency you would instead multiply the cost in the same way. I.e 100% decreased Reservation Efficiency would double the cost of all Auras. Meaning that the previous statement of 80% reduced efficiency resulting in a 1.8 multiplier is more likely.

Resulting in
A 10% aura costs 18%
A 25% aura costs 45%
A 35% aura costs 63%
A 50% aura costs 90%

This is all speculations and we will just have to wait and see at the correct results.

You are probably right. I quickly did this in my head and plugged in the numbers, which worked for "increased". I would hope GGG wouldn't create a formula that could cause divide by zero. Plus, 1.8 multiplier is way more sane than 5.0.
Last edited by Galtrovan on Oct 8, 2021, 4:40:40 PM
It's like they're trying to make people walk away. Crazy.
Generally seems like reasonable changes but several comments:

1. EE+EQ were easy to get and easy to utilise, while ignite got nice buff the cold and fire (non ignite based - RF/SR) kinda got screwed in the deal...

We lose a 2.1 easily accessible multiplier (1.5 * 1.4) while we gain only 1.6 back by default and rest we have to make up in gear, probably a bit more should be base (raise floor, lower roof).

Compared to other types of damage these are already meh in several aspects like life recovery options etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Efficiency should really count for reserving HP also (at least in first wave). Reserving life already has in many cases the malus of taking 2x the reservation cost and forcing specific gear choices. This will hit people who want to use shavs / petrified blood while aura bots are probably already hit hard enough by the change to reservation logic.

Edit: Or maybe change arrogance to lower multiplier of cost and prevent the linked auras from affecting other peopler (it would match arrogance thematically)
Last edited by OSik83 on Oct 8, 2021, 5:03:46 PM
"
Dear GGG
You're literally pulling a Blizzard.
A ways back there was a build called support monk (hp barrier and other buffs for surviving greater rifts mostly). They killed it because it was "a required part of greater rift push parties."

So to enumerate how stupid this change is...
1. To stack that kind of passive point investment puts you literally spread across the entire passive tree, yeah you're good at reservation skills, AND LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE.

2. Aura stacking was meta for HALF a league. Let's be honest you don't hate aura and curse stackers for being meta, you hate them because you haven't bothered to make support playstyles outside of aurabots a thing.

3. Gear costs, to actually max this you have to run more CORRUPTED jewels than ANY OTHER BUILD IN THE GAME PERIOD. YOU DIDN'T MAKE IT EASY TO STACK THAT STAT. A maxed aura stacker costs more than ANY OTHER BUILD IN THE GAME PERIOD.

Oh your build requires three mirrors in uniques?

THIS ONE REQUIRES AS MANY AS 12+ MIRRORS IN PASSIVE TREE JEWELS ALONE.
REQUIRES, no minimum to efficiently function, REQUIRES TO ACHIEVE THE LEVELS OF POWER YOU BASED THESE CHANGES ON.

4. Deadass how many people actually play in parties anymore? Even most streamers don't run in parties. So yeah, NERF THE PLAYSTYLE THAT REQUIRES OTHER PLAYERS TO BE EVEN MODERATELY EFFECTIVE AT THE SAME INVESTMENT.

You'll literally let headhunter, a singular unique so damn powerful that it is effecting and has effected all boss encounter designs in the game, stay as is.

But god forbid you run 16 auras that may not even function with other people's builds. Or not even 12 curses because you NOT ONLY changed multiple of them to "marks" AKA single target only but STILL have the boss curse resistances in effect where you have to stack about THREE HUNDRED PERCENT CURSE EFFECT just to get the listed values.

5. SKILL SOCKETS, yeah we can run 16 auras guess how many sockets that takes of the MAXIMUM possible? MORE THAN HALF and that's if you're running with socket rings.

Oh but you can get aura skills as item mods.
Yeah because the passive investment wasn't strenuous enough let's start sacrificing the raw stats required to keep me alive.

P.S.
I bought ten plus aura skins over the years GGG.
Thanks for kicking the build I WANT TO MAKE in the nuts.

AGAIN

Sincerely,
No longer a paying customer.

^ TRUTH ABOVE ^

I quit WoW because of exactly those reasons and I'll never pay again for any games Blizzard related. I found POE after I quit WoW, a game I thought I could have fun without having to worry about my builds getting destroyed, just do my own thing, have my own fun.

And then 3.15 killed my CoC that I had just built, without any warning.

And then 3.16 killed my 25+ mirrors aura stacker that I had just built, without any warning (I'm not a youtube, reddit, forum, name it fanboi therefore I had no idea that "it was coming")

I'll say it again, I'll install patch 3.16, see all my STD items that I spent MIRRORS for that will be retroactively broken and changed to some nerfed useless stat, then uninstall your game and never look back at it.

Players who play aura stackers are RICH PEOPLE. And do you know what RICH PEOPLE do in this game? We make the economy WORK, we create gear, we provide constant inflow of currencies in all aspects of the game and much more.

And also, RICH PEOPLE in the game also SPEND IRL MONEY on your (very) expensive cosmetics, because we want our amazing characters that we spent TIME, EFFORT, CURRENCY to build to look good.

Does your reddit fanbois spend the amount of time and IRL money that we spend? I highly doubt so.

I wonder if GGG is going to be able to afford their current FTE's after this patch because that's kind of a bad move before Christmas.

Sincerely,

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info