Last Epoch is POE Killer now

Nice tho.
We need more competition and ideas.
We need more fun!
"

The problem is gaming is so much about the gamers now that a game's status as "alive" is measured not in whether or not anyone is playing it but how many people are. Who is talking about it. How often it gets updated. Who is streaming it. Whether or not it has an active online scene. eSports. And so on. All things that matter only if your financial model is based around ongoing support rather than sale of a product.

In that light, a game can be "dead" well before it's actually dead.

Can be, yes.

Can say PoE will go dead when its servers go down. Thats for sure dead.

Until then.. well currently its definitely not in good state. And not sure at all it go back to 3.13 population and to its high health in trade. It was sooo good.
"
gandhar0 wrote:
The character status messages need to be toned down in frequency.

Especially the Mage is annoying if you let the status-sounds option unchecked.

"Fools! Fools!"
"I can not do that yet!"

-> Also when just walking and terrain is blocked
"I can not do that yet?"
"I can not do that yet!"

"Fools! Fools!" -> Yep the purple moving liquid and Ravens are fools

You can disable character error messages. is in sound options if I remember correctly.

Btw, when has a game actually killed another game? While WoW certainly beat EverQuest player count, is EverQuest still around. Another ARPG could beat POEs numbers but POE will still remain.
I don't believe in games killing another game.
What kills games is more often poor decision making that leads to people walking away.

To this day I am still morning over the loss of Marvel Heroes.

Ignoring the player base, dwindling player numbers, a few "lies" the "biggest patch ever" and a scandal... and that was it. The coffin was nailed. That was one of my favorite games ever.

I do not believe Last Epoch will kill Poe, but it will take players away. Many people on my friends list who didn't play this league or quit the first week in are playing LE and they have a blast, I do not. I find that game very boring.

I bought it and wanted to refund it 30 minutes later but i decided to stick to it till i got to endgame. So I did, and I didn't really enjoy any of it. Maybe one day, a few more patches, I will give it another go and check it out.

What could have a lot of affect is players seeking options.

Lost Ark has been delayed again, so i heard. End of the month "New World" releases.(Which i a can't wait for, so 3.16 is, most likely, off the table for me) D2 resurrected releases... D4 is coming out sometime.

"
kolpo wrote:
Btw, when has a game actually killed another game? While WoW certainly beat EverQuest player count, is EverQuest still around.

27 expansions and counting. (WoW certainly dethroned it, but the game was already shooting itself in the foot with the Gates of Discord and Omens of War expansions just prior to WoW's release, and that was on top of years of resentment from the playerbase for certain design/balance decisions, management changes, burnout, etc. Sounds familiar...)
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
RitualMurder wrote:
current state of player base numbers say otherwise

so do gggs desperate actions to try and salvage the player base by doing all the pod casts

mind you i think its a good thing they are engaging with the community for feedback but its clear they fucked up bad and they know it

Yeah, they fucked up on a few things. A minor nerf in movement and the support gem nerfs aren't part of the fuck-up, though.

There are lot of mitigating factors to the loss of players; as they said themselves, they had a huge loss at the end of Ultimatum, which may carry over. They also were expecting a substantial drop-off when their whole launch stream talked about nerfs. THAT was their biggest mistake.

We still don't know the long-time effects of these nerfs. People hating this league, will of course interpret the player loss as "lost players until changes are reverted", while other know that A LOT of the player that has left, will return next league, the league after or later.

Yeah, this league will go down in hirstory as "very low player numbers", yet the league mechanics are good. But people being upset now, doesn't always carry over to next league - and especially not 3.17, when we get a new endgame overhaul. But personally, I think the long-time effects of these nerfs are very dependant on what they'll do to underused/underpowered skills and supports next league. The ceiling of "bad" skills needs to be improved, and the access to defenses, especially for non-avoidance builds needs to be improved.

What are you doing? Trying to bring actual facts into an emotional discussion ;-)

The fact is, whatever statistics you deduct from the current state of the game - unsatisfied people without the proper training will always fit stats into their own narrative as they please, totally ignoring contrary opinions, views or interpretations.
Thats why the forum is actually the worst part of this game right now. Unbearable toxic people always repeating the same stuff over and over again, never getting tired of saying they are leaving the game while happily grinding out challenges. What I would give to meet people again that actually do what they say.

Edit: Especially on the topic of "other games take over PoE's player base. Thats the 500th posting about that crap as well. Let me explain why this is not going to happen, no matter how often you are repeating it:

D2R: Its.not.a.new.game - People will throw another 30 Dollars into Blizzard for whatever reason (mostly nostalgia I guess), play for 2 weeks and then throw it onto pile of Blizzard-Titles that you will not play again.

D4: Yeah, lets talk about it when it comes out. In 2035! My god, How blindsighted in your hatred towards GGG do you have to be to bring that up. It´s not even close to release, and we´re talking Blizzard here. Poe2 will hit earlier by a landslight.

Lost Ark: People that want fair chances will never touch it. Period. You can buy yourself to advantages.

Last Epoch: Probably the best opponent, but the comparison of a new endgame vs. the sheer amount of options you have in PoE... It´s David vs. Goliath. Give it another 3 years and we'll talk again.
Last edited by Vennto on Sep 7, 2021, 4:11:18 PM
"
Chavolatra wrote:
Last Update is fantastic and turned in poe killer because 1% game balance destroyed this game.

While LE is very promising I don't see it becoming a POE killer. Believe it or not it's actually possible to play more than one game! I'd rather believe that New World will kill WoW than LE killing POE. Big games die slowly they will not be killed by another single game.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
(first posted on steam-forum)

New player here, started with expedition. In my opinion the game dificulty ist just right, i played 3 chars so far:

1. rouge deadeye, learned the game, hit a wall at t4 maps, char lvl 80, not enough defence.

2. earthquake-barbarian (whatever its called in poe ^^), got him to lvl 83, t8 maps, brick wall, not enough damage xD.

3. dual wand Arc-Elementalist (so much fun), got her to lvl 91, t14 maps (is this finaly the endgame?), but again, to squishy (8,5k hp + energyshield, but not much else for def). i redesigned her for the next league with a shield in off-hand, hope i can get her to meet this sirus(sinus? sidus?)-guy everyone is talking about xD

imo this is just right. it would be a bit disappointing, if a new player could finish all content with his first char on the first try. this way i discover so many new things with each playthrough.

now i started my first ssfhc-char .D an looking forward to the gauntlet.

tldr: difficulty is just right, would be dissapointed if it was easier. seems i started playin poe at just the right time ^^
Last Epochs' highest EVER player count is still around a quarter of what PoE has now, during its downtime. And it's less than a twentieth of PoE's peak on STEAM, which is only around half PoE total playerbase. PoE Killer my ass lol.

Last Epoch doesn't even have trade yet. We'll see how everyone's favorite darling of crafting accessibility fares once that trial by fire rolls in...
Ah, Last Epoch.
Have the fixed character pathing yet? Can you actually autorun in this game now, without getting stuck every few seconds on some pebble or your character interacting with everything whilst move only is pressed down?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info