Last Epoch is POE Killer now

"
DeDavini wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Chavolatra wrote:
But new game balance based on 1% ruined this game forever now.

Ruined the game for you and some others, doesn't mean the game is dead nor killed by LE. Hate to break it to you, but you aren't the center of the universe :)

We've seen 100% fresh players going into Expedition totally blind, and managed to get to maps in a few days without even looking ONE single thing up on third part sites. Now, imagine what they can do during a league when they start looking shit up?

This game isn't balanced around the infamous "1%". Maybe 1% of the game is being balanced around the "1%", but that's just the way it should be.

:D:D:D

fresh player in poe

xddddddd

ofc.

Pretty sure Phrazz was referring to Preach, who started playing PoE like 2 weeks ago. Didnt do any research, ignored chat while streaming and went in blind.

He ended up playing a crit ele bleed flicker berserker. As terrible as it sounds, it was still good enough to carry him all the way to endgame and he is still playing this selfmade build in maps.

He even said something along those lines: "I fully expected to complete the campaign easily as long as you do apply common gamer knowledge. Its designed to be easy and allow mistakes. You´d probably still beat it wearing nothing but a clowns nose and rubber boots."
And he proofed all the doomsayers wrong. Everyone told him he wouldnt beat acts x,y & z, hit a wall eventually and quit.

Funnily enough he chose the patch that made PoE literally unplayable for new players and did beat the campaign without putting too much thought into it or doing research or using 3rd party tools or listening to chat.

Literally unplayable btw...
"
kuciol wrote:
PoE is to slow now, bad GGG.

LE > 50 monsters on whole map, WAAAAAAAA, AWASOME!!! PoE DEAD.

Thats how i feel about this topic.

on point lol
Wake me up when Last Epoch has multiplayer, an endgame more interesting than watching paint dry & more players than the last POE killer Wolcen.
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"
Last Epoch is like 90% PoE refugees who got butthurt that their build got nerfed.
PoE being a meanie to them is an hourly discussion in their forums and game chat 24/7 for the past 3 years.

It's a nice, enjoyable game but too timid to be any killer.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
The only poe killer is chris with his vision of absolute OMG hardcore game with slot machine gameplay...

anyways, I wish the best to LE, we seriously need more competition...
3.13 Was the best league ever!
3.18 Rest in peace my beloved recombinators, I'm gonna miss you...
Chris said i a podcast that the money is fine this league maby one more but a 3ed one they have to fire people, so no POE is not fine, they lost tons of money on er vision of theres.

and when the 1% start to make videos of other games where as they did not do that before, then yes GGG is in truble
i haven't dipped into last epoch systems: loot, skill balance, endgame etc, and didn't try the game, reason is simple: graphics and animations are complete garbage even worse than path of exile (and that says something). i thought casting animations in path of exile are the worst i've ever seen until i've saw last epoch. i can't play the game if my eyes are bleeding, sorry, no matter how good core systems are. diablo 3 still is the golden standard of how the combat should look like and how it should be felt.
dead game
bring back 3.13
Last edited by Tainted_Fate on Sep 7, 2021, 5:20:03 AM
Someone said the W word!

*Drink!*

The person who said was absolutely going to say it!

*Another drink!*

___

We could just bang on about this game or that but come on, that road is more than well-worn. So how about this:

Before declaring a game "dead" or a "killer of other games", let's first define and hopefully come to some agreement on what it means for a game to be "dead".

I predict the answer will be unique per game or at least per financial model. And it's when we confuse these or apply them incorrectly that we start to miss the point.

Yes. Only PoE can "kill" PoE because PoE's supporter base long ago stopped supporting because it's an ARPG alone. It is a unique combination of genres and stimuli that very likely will never be reproduced.

Add to that the fact that no one is aiming to kill PoE. It seems an interesting phenomenon to me that Exiles are extremely wary of PoE killers, jealous even, without digging a little bit to see that there is a surprisingly spacious market when it comes to ARPGs. At no point did Wolcen Studios or Loot Crate or EHG even hint at wanting to kill PoE. For a start, all three charged for their game, which alone changes the idea of "dead" but we will come back to that. Suffice to say it's hard to take someone seriously when they so ardently protect something no one's trying to attack. Someone like that is always going to be defensive to the point of irrationality.

But if you want the involved ARPG as your primary experience and PoE doesn't really provide that without a lot of clunky pregame prep, then Last Epoch or any other ARPG might be your go to. For you, and you alone, it has "killed" PoE. Try not to project too hard when you then say it's a PoE killer. Please.

So just because a game is dead to you doesn't mean it's actually dead. And just because you have found a replacement that works for you doesn't mean that replacement killed it. Can we all agree on that? Lovely. Now we can move onto something a little more concrete: dead games vs alive games.

A game that no one plays is dead. This is especially true if said game is a GaaS, which typically overtly "shut down" before that can happen, but for a buy to play game, it's still true. However, we cannot know whether or not a buy to play game is dead because we can't track who is playing it. And as I said, all three of PoE's supposed rivals are buy to play. Okay: you can use steamcharts to get an estimate but all three also have stand alone clients. Even if just one person is playing it, it's not a dead game. It's just a game that has past its peak. Regardless of how low or high said peak was.

The problem is gaming is so much about the gamers now that a game's status as "alive" is measured not in whether or not anyone is playing it but how many people are. Who is talking about it. How often it gets updated. Who is streaming it. Whether or not it has an active online scene. eSports. And so on. All things that matter only if your financial model is based around ongoing support rather than sale of a product.

In that light, a game can be "dead" well before it's actually dead. And this relativity plays nicely into the gamers' proclivity for hyperbole and drama. OMG PoE lost 50% of its players in a week! Game dead! Oh no, famous streamer guys stopped playing it. Game dead. Oh NO they haven't updated in months! Game. Dead...

Hogwash, of course. The usage of "dead" here is puerile. It's the thoughtless "dead" kids use when they say, "you're dead" not as a declaration of fact but as a threat. Almost always it is, in fact, a lie. Thankfully!

Let's get back to the subjective nature of a dead game. This idea that a game is dead because it's dead to you gains traction when "you" isn't just you but the vast majority of people playing that game. Then it actually means something beyond projection. That is when the gap between "alive" and "dead" becomes the reality. When we use the word "dying" with more certitude than either of those.

PoE is a long way off that, from what we can see. And it won't be due to the introduction of a few buy to play ARPGs carving their niche in the scene.

Usually when a long running GaaS dies, it's the result of several factors, one of which is definitely competition but not in a direct sense. It's usually more about the players moving on to other sources of entertainment not because they are directly superior at what that game did but because they provide whatever it is the dying or dead game no longer does.

Or, more often than not, never did. Most GaaS die off quietly after languishing for a year or so in anonymity.

But if LE is your antiPoE, or Wolcen or Grim Dawn or Titan Quest, that's great. Good for you. They are all far less taxing on both your time and money by virtue of not being f2p GaaS. You've made a healthy choice imo.

But PoE isn't dead and your new gaming crush didn't kill it. Won't kill it. Doesn't want to kill it.

And why are you so determined to have them kill your ex anyway?

Is that part of what makes them so attractive to you? Because they killed your former love? That's kinda messed up, doncha think?

There might not be room in your heart drive for two ARPGs, but damn. That's no excuse to go declaring that one killed the other when they are perfectly happy to coexist.

Stop seeing conflict where there is none just because you need it to make a personal choice.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Sep 7, 2021, 5:37:28 AM
no not yet. maybe next year
Second-class poe gamer
"
Orbaal wrote:

Pretty sure Phrazz was referring to Preach, who started playing PoE like 2 weeks ago. Didnt do any research, ignored chat while streaming and went in blind.

He ended up playing a crit ele bleed flicker berserker. As terrible as it sounds, it was still good enough to carry him all the way to endgame and he is still playing this selfmade build in maps.

He even said something along those lines: "I fully expected to complete the campaign easily as long as you do apply common gamer knowledge. Its designed to be easy and allow mistakes. You´d probably still beat it wearing nothing but a clowns nose and rubber boots."
And he proofed all the doomsayers wrong. Everyone told him he wouldnt beat acts x,y & z, hit a wall eventually and quit.

Funnily enough he chose the patch that made PoE literally unplayable for new players and did beat the campaign without putting too much thought into it or doing research or using 3rd party tools or listening to chat.

Literally unplayable btw...

If he is not doing on HC, this is nearly pointless. On HC I'm sure his struggle would be eternal. On SC, you die, you die again, then you die and then you die again. Then you progress and die again. :-) It's the matter of stubborness which holds you there.
MY CHALLENGES ARE DONE ON HC, IT'S NOT SC GUYS!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info