Last Epoch is POE Killer now

I love POE, I've played it more hours than any game I have, but for every really cool thing in this game, it's like they have to pull some monkey's paw BS and make something else suck. I spent something like 1000 alts today, several hundred regals and finally just got frustrated and burned through 400 chaos orbs trying to get a decent roll on a cluster. Still didn't get it. That's dumb. Clusters are super cool, the idea is brilliant, but life has enough challenge and delayed gratification that I don't need a video game trying to push rewards like it lived through the great depression and has some lesson to teach. Things like the XP penalty, especially when I lose XP because of a desync? Naw..... I'm good. Totally good. Hiking up a mountain is a good way to feel accomplishment, clicking a cluster several thousand times in my hideout is not.

Starting off every league ripping to the point I almost quit? Naw... I'm good. Chase items that I never even touch on the leaner leagues? No thanks. If anything, I hope LE at least provides some catalyst to for POE 2 to chill out some. I feel like there is some adversarial play going on in POE between devs and streamers or players at some level way above me and I'm here eating the scraps from it sometimes and a little fresh blood in the market won't hurt anyone. Already got LE downloaded and looking forward to it and seeing where GGG chooses to go with POE2.
Looking forward to the release.
Don't think it will kill PoE.
But it'll be nice to play when I feel done with the league.
Also the factions are a good idea. Probably going for the self found one.
I've been playing it for a couple weeks now.

The actual release is 21 FEB, so that's when the proof will be in the pudding as to it being something to divert attention to or not.

For right now though, there are some things I enjoy.

Little things that make life easier are there. No scrolls for ID or portals. Built in intuitive filter builder. A sort button for character and stash inventories. Lots more there, but there needs to be more juice to the story. In game guide that has a decent amount of information and how to.

In game gold for inventory expansion is nice.

The biggest enjoyment for me is not having to flip through third party sites to do anything other than gather info on one thing or another.

The one thing that I do like about POE is the gotcha and aha moments when I get a real sense of accomplishment and turn a corner on a build or make it through a tough map. LE as it is right now doesn't have that for me.

No exp loss on death is a big one for me. I think that is a turn off for some people though.

We'll see how it goes on 21 FEB when the release patch 1.0 hits.

POE killer? I seriously doubt it. Why people say that about each and every new shiny thing is beyond me.

EDIT: Date correction. Thank you Imanubcake.
I poop, therefore I am.
Last edited by JunkHeadJoePC on Feb 6, 2024, 2:18:30 AM
"
JunkHeadJoePC wrote:
I've been playing it for a couple weeks now.

The actual release is 24 FEB, so that's when the proof will be in the pudding as to it being something to divert attention to or not.

For right now though, there are some things I enjoy.

Little things that make life easier are there. No scrolls for ID or portals. Built in intuitive filter builder. A sort button for character and stash inventories. Lots more there, but there needs to be more juice to the story. In game guide that has a decent amount of information and how to.

In game gold for inventory expansion is nice.

The biggest enjoyment for me is not having to flip through third party sites to do anything other than gather info on one thing or another.

The one thing that I do like about POE is the gotcha and aha moments when I get a real sense of accomplishment and turn a corner on a build or make it through a tough map. LE as it is right now doesn't have that for me.

No exp loss on death is a big one for me. I think that is a turn off for some people though.

We'll see how it goes on 24 FEB when the release patch 1.0 hits.

POE killer? I seriously doubt it. Why people say that about each and every new shiny thing is beyond me.

21st feb, not 24th
Thanks for that. I'm tracking too many things at once.
I poop, therefore I am.
The game is good and worth the buy, but the pace of gameplay is very slow relative to PoE or most other ARPGs (but still faster than D4 lol).

The developers seem to have an idea of ARPGs that many more people will overlap with in terms of the game being much less hardcore and punishing, so I hope that it continues to improve and grow, but I don't think the immediate hype will be massively long lasting at launch.
"
"
de99ial wrote:
Steam.

I dont like steam.

Not sure if serious

Very.
peak 193K concurrent players so far...not bad Last Epoch
Pour one out for my Syndicate homies.

Complex PoE mechanics are getting Diablofied.

GGG: What's better than stable income? Random income of course.
"
zakalwe55 wrote:
peak 193K concurrent players so far...not bad Last Epoch

Just don't go to town :)

I'm enjoying it so far as a bridge to next league.
I tried Last Epoch, so game is not bad and there is already a decent amount of content, there are a lot of cool concepts and mechanics, but I dont know why, but after a couple of days I just got bored and leave game.
The concept of improving Uniques seems interesting, but I dont like that you are forced to play through unique items, there are not many of them, they are quite easy to get, which makes the game easier and reduces interest. Personally, what I like about PoE is that you can make a top build even without unique items. As for HCSSFR player, it was quite easy to play, it lacks of challenge. But again, I didn't get to super high-end content, simply because I was bored.

LE has huge potential and its developing very quickly, but right now its far from killing PoE.

In any case, competition between Last Epoch and PoE will benefit everyone.
Last edited by Teret3 on Feb 26, 2024, 1:20:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info