Spell Totem

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
Amarath wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the "skill duration" node below scion that increase "skill effect duration" by 15% will make totems last longer... how about skeletons they produce?

Thank you.
unlike totem duration nodes (i don't remember if removed or not), the skill duration node under scion affects ANY and all skills with a duration. that means both the totem AND skeletons.

including THE SKELETONS THAT THE spell totems themselves make?
Thank you.
even durations of monsters made via dominating blow or spectre.
In actual content spell totem is generally worthless.

GIVEN you have 2 totems you have basic dps =2 * (0.5[totem damage reduction]) * (1-0.3 castspeed reduction) = 0.7 dps from the same spell casted from hand! And totem gem takes a gemslot((( While average support gem increases your dps efficiency by 1.5, DUAL totem does DECREASE it by 0.7. I.e. you loose 1.5/0.7~2 times in dps compared to the same spall casted directly. Not to mention single totem just does 0 dps.

I understand that totem nodes do give bonuses a bit larger than the standart ones, but they are still too small to compenstae for massive dps loss. The totem nerf was done at times when Shavronne RF and spork owned the place. Devs nerfed both rf for casters AND spark to fucking hell. But the poor totem was not guilty! Especially when dps grew considerably from times when arc totem could be viable.

I dont see any dual totem casters ANYMORE, none of my friend is, none in public. The only usage now is curses/brotem/taunt (utility, not dps) totem and the flame one.

This support needs a buff badly in 1.1.0, either reduce damage penalty to 20-25% and castspeed to 20% OR make good nodes that reward generously those who goes dual totem path.
with 3 totems, thats 1.05 multiplier for dps before passives if using the unique in addition. but thats not the point of totems. weather multiple or just one, they're either for ease of use, partially bypassing costs, having defense of it being targeted or cast up ahead, or just plain an extra damage dealing tool. most use it for the defensive aspect as manacosts are still fairly high. at least the totem itself doesn't ever run out. sparks was a novelty anyways, mostly for farming instead of actual damage (although multiplying bolts were funny and no longer cared about the damage randomness).
3rd totem is really a joke given the awful properties on the robe: lvl20 curse AND that you MUST have lvl 20 totem support anyway, not 16lvl, renders it completely useless.
"
Amarath wrote:
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
Amarath wrote:
Ex Spell totem makes skeletons they have -50% damage, now does 40% totem damage make them have ~ -10% damage now?
that isn't how it works.
damage *(1-0.5) *(1+0.4) = 0.7
meaning skeletons would deal 70% of thier damage if only that amount of boosts were working.

Ok my question is really Does "Totem Damage" increase the damage of minion created by the totem... that is the question i am asking.

And thank you very much

Answer found assume totem damage doesn't help minions.

Would you (or someone else) be so kind to show me what led you to make that assumption?

Because when i read soul4hdwn's answer i'm thinking the totem damage actually will work on summons from totems..
Last edited by Toverkol on Feb 10, 2014, 1:28:45 PM
"
Lichalfred wrote:
3rd totem is really a joke given the awful properties on the robe: lvl20 curse AND that you MUST have lvl 20 totem support anyway, not 16lvl, renders it completely useless.

Totem isn't a DPS upgrade, it's a survivability and mana cost upgrade.

Putting in Mana Leech and Reduced Mana doesn't increase your DPS either, but it can be worthwhile.

Totems are the same. Yes, your damage can decrease with totems, but I know my chaining, Elemental Equilibrium Elemental Hit totem archer wouldn't be able to handle the mana without totems, and I know she'd die a billion times more if I stood there and tried to shoot instead of running around while the totems do the dirty work.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.
"
"
Lichalfred wrote:

Totem isn't a DPS upgrade, it's a survivability and mana cost upgrade.

Putting in Mana Leech and Reduced Mana doesn't increase your DPS either, but it can be worthwhile.

Totems are the same. Yes, your damage can decrease with totems, but I know my chaining, Elemental Equilibrium Elemental Hit totem archer wouldn't be able to handle the mana without totems, and I know she'd die a billion times more if I stood there and tried to shoot instead of running around while the totems do the dirty work.

I see your point, but even with this totems are lacking. You also pay a price in a form that you cant life-leech from attacks nor from totem damage either. Totem squishyness + time to cast 2-3x totems and a large unreserved manapool you must keep (thus reducing amount of auras) add to almost 2x dps drop.
"
Toverkol wrote:
"
Amarath wrote:

Ok my question is really Does "Totem Damage" increase the damage of minion created by the totem... that is the question i am asking.

And thank you very much

Answer found assume totem damage doesn't help minions.

Would you (or someone else) be so kind to show me what led you to make that assumption?

Because when i read soul4hdwn's answer i'm thinking the totem damage actually will work on summons from totems..

Self quote for instance other people are still wondering: This thread explains the issue quite clear, even though the trains of thought in the answers are different.: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/803040/page/1#p6983153

The spell totem damage penalty applies to minions because it comes from a support gem. Totem damage and similar passives with traps/mines do not apply because a) they apply to your character, not your skills; or b) because the passives (or gear) don't come with the 'minion' tag. Might be the answers in the thread become even more clear with time, but for now, it's definite enough to conclude no bonuses will apply other than bonuses from 'minion' passives/gear or support gems.
I can't believe this... No one is crying? Really? Well, I'll the first one then.

I suppose nobody is using Spell Totem anymore... or not dual totem as primary DPS.

30% reduced cast speed -> 30% less cast speed

Less casts per second, Less DPS.

Why keep on nerfing spell totem? (my build, Dual Freezing Pulse Totems, has been nerfed since Righteous Fire, Auras Mana Reservation and now this)

I believe GGG just wants everyone use fucking Discharge and stupid triggers gems, whatever... goodbye dual totems.
Last edited by ssebastiann on Mar 6, 2014, 1:57:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info