Development Manifesto: Harvest Crafting

so, my take on the subject

the game is in a big decline for a while, and this is one of the reasons why (second reason is lacking character skills balance & inadequate difficulty balance - 3.15 patch and support gems nerfs were extremely unhealthy for the game)

first of all, the game never had and still doesn't have a meaningful gear progression system: 99% of items picked up are useless in the endgame and crafting is nothing but gambling

game needed (and still needs as of 3.16 patch) more deterministic item progression system than current

harvest was providing some solutions for this situation, but i hardly stick to the opinion that the way it was implemented is not a proper way. collecting seeds and managing the garden in harvest league or spamming atolls for sacred grove spawn in ritual league are not the proper ways for gear progression from the gameplay design standpoint: fightning monsters and bosses should be the way

i think all harvest recipes should have been in some form of untradable seeds/essences and drop from bosses, at least that would be more proper form, true question is whether harvest-crafted gear should be tradeable

but even that would not solve the problem that 99% of gear pieces dropped by monsters are garbage, but at least it would be better than the current situation

still i must admit that 3.13 patch was the best state of the game, comparing to that disaster we are having now
dead game
bring back 3.13
Last edited by Tainted_Fate on Nov 27, 2021, 6:34:40 PM
Poe died on 3.13 … we just beating on a dead horse now

Im glad i have the honour and privilege to be part of 3.13 ritual league the GOAT of poe

Sad to see the state of the game now

I wish GGG could understand that before its too late

45 ppl i know have quit for other games and these was ppl who loved the game and supported by mtx etc

Sad sad sad
Your strength is the law !!

MadG poe on youtube for mellee content
Harvest crafting doesn't just afk-print BiS items; it still takes a lot of playing, planning, and work to craft awesome gear. For a streamer who plays 8-10 hours per day every day it's very simple, but for a working class exile who has kids and life responsibilities like I do, it sure would be nice to have a way to work toward being able to gear up to take on end-game without needing to randomly find a hundred exalts or a mirror or something.

Making Harvest-crafted items bound to your account seems like a good compromise.
rly wanna more deterministic crafts like we have crafting bench or even upgrade crafting bench to someth like turbo craft
imho but most crafts from harvest can be added to crafting bench with balanced price and will be best change
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
bgdmm wrote:
"
brucemars858 wrote:
Harvest is the first time we have actual CRAFTING in Path of Exile, not glorified gamble.

The problem here is that Harvest crafting allows you to create the absolute BiS for every item type (with a few truly unique but exceedingly rare exceptions, like HH or Mageblood).

And that renders everything else completely obsolete.

And then you have a lot of people running with maxxed-out A+++ god-tier equipment clearing and curbstomping every content in seconds.

So, what would then happen is, since the whole content would be rendered trivial, GGG would have to up the monster damage, life and other properties to match those god-tier items.

Which, in turn, would literally force everyone to obtain those BiS A+++ items, because, otherwise, they would not be able to enjoy any content since they would not be able to kill it once it's buffed to match god-tier items.

And then, even those almost-BiS dropped items that have survived the first "everything but Harvest god-tier BiS is laughable and obsolete" would become truly obsolete.

So, how do you solve that?

Make harvest roll only the lowest X tiers of a given affix. Just have harvest not add T1 %phys for example, but only T3. Now you have enabled players to craft good gear but you can still find better gear or craft it using regular crafting currency. Or limit the amount of harvest crafted affixed on an item.

On another note: People in trade already have deterministic crafting - it‘s called trade. You invest a specific amount of currency and get a specific items with stats that you know what they are goin to be, before you invest your currency. And unless you are playing at the top 1%, availability is rarely an issue.
Now guess how most players get the items for their builds: trading, which is basically deterministic crafting with league state dependent, semi random availability. Which brings up the same problem as you were pointing out. The game is ballanced around trading, which forces people to trade.
I don‘t see why another deterministic crafting mode would be that bad - but I totally agree with you:
Top tier items should not be available via deterministic crafting. There should be a limit for what can be crafted using a system like harvest, so drops and slams can still be exciting. Likewise top tier items should not be tradeable.
"
Firnblut wrote:
"
bgdmm wrote:
"
brucemars858 wrote:
Harvest is the first time we have actual CRAFTING in Path of Exile, not glorified gamble.

The problem here is that Harvest crafting allows you to create the absolute BiS for every item type (with a few truly unique but exceedingly rare exceptions, like HH or Mageblood).

And that renders everything else completely obsolete.

And then you have a lot of people running with maxxed-out A+++ god-tier equipment clearing and curbstomping every content in seconds.

So, what would then happen is, since the whole content would be rendered trivial, GGG would have to up the monster damage, life and other properties to match those god-tier items.

Which, in turn, would literally force everyone to obtain those BiS A+++ items, because, otherwise, they would not be able to enjoy any content since they would not be able to kill it once it's buffed to match god-tier items.

And then, even those almost-BiS dropped items that have survived the first "everything but Harvest god-tier BiS is laughable and obsolete" would become truly obsolete.

So, how do you solve that?

Make harvest roll only the lowest X tiers of a given affix. Just have harvest not add T1 %phys for example, but only T3. Now you have enabled players to craft good gear but you can still find better gear or craft it using regular crafting currency. Or limit the amount of harvest crafted affixed on an item.

On another note: People in trade already have deterministic crafting - it‘s called trade. You invest a specific amount of currency and get a specific items with stats that you know what they are goin to be, before you invest your currency. And unless you are playing at the top 1%, availability is rarely an issue.
Now guess how most players get the items for their builds: trading, which is basically deterministic crafting with league state dependent, semi random availability. Which brings up the same problem as you were pointing out. The game is ballanced around trading, which forces people to trade.
I don‘t see why another deterministic crafting mode would be that bad - but I totally agree with you:
Top tier items should not be available via deterministic crafting. There should be a limit for what can be crafted using a system like harvest, so drops and slams can still be exciting. Likewise top tier items should not be tradeable.

So drops can still be exciting ?

You sure you play POE bro ?

When was the last time you had an “ exciting” rare drop ?

Respect
Your strength is the law !!

MadG poe on youtube for mellee content
most drops in POE are useless, so what is the point?

Harvest gave a viable option outside of market.
Ritual League will always be remembered as Peak PoE, and this "manifesto" the beginning of the end.
Last edited by Galestar on Dec 31, 2021, 5:21:30 AM
Chase uniques are cool and all, but anyone remember crafting?

:(
"
Chase uniques are cool and all, but anyone remember crafting?

:(

Yeah, I met him. Nice guy. Was very exciting and energetic but eventually became boring. Found out later he was on drugs. What a sad sad man.
Eat your vegetables.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info