[3.11] Odif's League Starter Electric Spectre-Zombie Necro Build, VERY LOW CURRENCY

Hello Exiles!

This build guide is for a super duper cheap league starter build.
It will get you deep into red maps with minimal investment. (Less than 10c to start mapping, 40-50 c for red maps.)
It scales with currency.

It's a minion build, Spectres and Zombies, so if you don't like minion builds this is not for you.

Minions, like traps, mines, and totems are VERY good at Harvest Plant killing.
Great for the league mechanic.

Overview
Spoiler

We use two types of minions to do damage. Spectres and Zombies.
Both Zombies and Spectres do a LOT of damage in this build, together they rain terror on the monsters of Wraeclast.

Zombies do physical damage, we use a 4 blue socket Triad Gloves to turn the zombie damage into lightning damage.
We use Slave Driver spectres that inherently do lightning damage.
We use Elemental Equilibrium to lower enemy lightning resists by 50%.
We use Elemental Army Support in Spectres to lower enemy lightning resists another 10%.
And Conductivity curse to lower it even more. (Has a lesser effect on bosses, and has no effect on hex proof monsters and maps with hex proof mod.)

We use Skitterbots to auto shock enemies, so they take even MORE damage.

Its crazy how fast bosses melt with this set up, as it will take most bosses deep into negative lightning resists.

For defense we use Bone Offering to gain 75% attack block, and around 70% spell block. We also have life gained on block, high life pool, high life regen, and are immune to stun.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler

Pros:
Very Low currency to go deep into red maps.
Scales with currency.
Relaxed minion playstle
Good defenses with minions to absorb hits, high block chance, high life pool, high life regen, life gained on block, cannot be stunned.

Cons:
It needs an unset ring to fit in all the skills.
Not much movement speed, you will need to be a Quicksilver Flask junkie to move fast.
Minion playstyle is not for everybody.

League Starting
Spoiler

If this will be used as your first toon in a league, you should know the build comes into its own in ACT 5. Act 2 and 3 can be a bit slow. Don't be discouraged early on. In act 5 you get slave drivers and should hit the +1 spectre skill tree node. With 4l spectres and 4l zombies, everything after that is a breeze.

Skill Tree
Spoiler

Kill All Bandits

Ascendency Order:
Mindless Agression
Unnatural Strength
Mistress of Sacrifice
Bone Barrier

When you have a worthy amulet, ANNOINT DEATH ATTUNEMENT on the amulet, and regret out of that part of the tree.

PoB Community Fork Pastbin
You may need the community fork of PoB, as thats what I used to make the pastebins.
https://github.com/PathOfBuildingCommunity/PathOfBuilding/releases

Here is a snapshot of my current situation, with gear and skills, level 85, no annointment yet, gear I got or crafted geting my atlas progressed to tier 5 maps, maybe 60 chaos worth of gear.
https://pastebin.com/rAaxpNZV

Here is a pastebin of various leveling trees, no gear or skills
https://pastebin.com/CnpfTu2i

If you are not familiar, at the bottom, is a menu to choose which version to see, i have several, from 12 skill points, up to 109.

Poe Planner 3.11 (for those without PoB Community Fork)

24 Skill Points
https://www.poeplanner.com/ABUAADcAFTMAABjfsJLBjr4RLSyc7Ipr20yz0B_v6zsNEQ-smDpYVcZ8g7zqakMI9OvuMtECiw1GLiwAAAAAAA==

46 Skill Points, normal lab
https://www.poeplanner.com/ABUAAGcAFTMAADDfsJLBjr4RLSyc7Ipr20yz0B_v6zsNEQ87P2EohsqsmDpYVcZ8g7zqakMI9OvuMtFFR8BmBLOiAPAfaPKvbAth0_takah9aqz315uhzLyqxIVgTbmIQNkLBkmQM-yD048AAAAAAA==

86 Skill Points, Cruel Lab with EE
FYI the url command on this web site chokes on really long urls, so you will have to cut and paste for the rest of them.
https://www.poeplanner.com/ABUAALMAFTMAAFbfsJLBjr4RLSyc7Ipr20yz0B_v6zsNEQ87P2EohsqsmDpYVcZ8g7zqakMI9OvuMtFFR8BmBLOiAPAfaPKvbAth0_takah9aqz315uhzLyqxIVgTbkc3LiTKPpx83fCY0F5f4hAKpiQMwZJ2QsCiw1GLiymrGD4Gmw26SSqFm_jaqqp-tJmnmL0cbI6xnIPWfMaOJBVJy-PGpRvZlSa4EWdU1KYreyD049Hhf6BAAAAAAA=

111 Skill points, level 86, Uber Lab done
Assumes anointment of Death Attunement on amulet
https://www.poeplanner.com/ABUAAPEAFTMAAHXfsJLBjr4RLSyc7Ipr20yz0B_v6zsNEQ87P2EohsqsmDpYVcZ8g7zqakMI9OvuMtFFR8BmBLOiAPAfaPKvbAth0_takah9aqwc3LiTKPpx83fCY0F5f4hAKpiQMwZJ2QsCiw1GLiymrGD4Gmw26SSqFm_jaqqp-tJmnmL0cbI6xnIPWfMaOJBVJy-PGpRvZlSa4EWdU1LGrjwtg1_vDhQgXz-g5mdxSp-YrdIhVw3ZYRkuJ-3E9q-nPQ-bIZ_LfLgpLvGsGj4czitQDc3-VFBHg9uDzLc-_grYveyD049Hhf6B2V45C5uKvk8AAAAAAA==

After Level 86 put every point into life.

Skills
Spoiler

Summon Spectre in a 6B Body Armor
Support with Minion Damage, Elemental Army, Spell Echo, Elemental Focus, Controlled Destruction

Raise Zombies in a 3R/B +2 minion gems Helm
Support with Multistrike, Elemental Damage with Attacks, Fortify .

Armageddon Brand in the Triad Gloves
Supported by Curse on Hit, Conductivity
Keep Armageddon brand at gem level 1, to save mana.

Auras
Wrath linked to Generosity (In one Wand: 2B/G) (big damage boost to minions)

Skitterbots (In last glove slot) (Shocks and Chills enemies)

This reserves 85% of your mana, no need for enlighten.

Misc
In one Wand: GRB
Bone Offering Linked to Increase Duration (HUGE defensive boost)
Desecrate (to make corpses to use Bone Offering
Keep Desecrate at level 1 to save mana.

In Boots: 2R/2B
Stone golem, Chaos Golem, Animated Guardian, Feeding Frenzy

Flame Dash (unset ring)
Convocation (wand)

Gear
Spoiler

Required Unique
Triad Grip gloves, with 4 blue sockets.
These are VERY cheap, even at league start, and are easy to get 4 blue sockets on. Early league cost to buy AND get 4 blue sockets, 2-3 chaos.

That's it, thats the only required unique.

Rare Jewel with "minions have x% chance to taunt on attacks"
Cost: depends, if thats the only mod, 1 alc, but if you want other good mods the cost can be many exaulted. You do need your skels to taunt, so buy what's in your budget.

Helmet with +2 to minion gems
Even with life and resists, these are crazy cheap, 2-3 chaos early league.

6l chest
A corrupted 6l chest 6B will cost 10-20 chaos early league.
Or you can buy a tabula
You should get enough chaos pretty quick, maybe before you hit maps.
You can get to maps easy with a 4l, which you can find/craft as you go.

Wands
After you get your chest, buy 2 wands that have "+1 all spell skill gems"
These run 10 or so chaos early league. If you can afford it, get some minion damage/minion attack speed mods also, this will up the cost, so its optional
(Note: These wands seem more expensive this league. Get them when you can, they REALLY help, as they make ALL skills go up by one level.)

Do NOT get + lightning damage to spells on your wands, it will mess up EE.

Everything else is rares with life and resists.
You will need dex on at least on item.

It's preferable to get a stygian vice belt, its a great place to socket in the jewel with "minions taunt on attack"

If possible, get gear with armor, the more the better.

So cheap!

Defenses
Spoiler

This build uses high block, both attack and spell, life gain on block, a high life pool, high life regen and whatever armor you can get on your gear.

Chaos golem with 70% increased golem buffs, gives you 8% phys dam reduction, 10% from ascendency is 18% phys dam reduction before flasks and armor.

76% max ele resists.

Block Explained:
Note:
Bone Offering effects you at 75% effectiveness only AFTER you get Mistress of Sacrifice. (Merciless Lab)
Bone offering benefits both from ascendency +2 minion gem levels, and from +1 gem levels on wands.
A level 19 gem, goes to level 23, which is enough to get 36% attack and spell block on minions, and 27% attack and spell block on us with Mistress of Sacrifice.

You get 15% Attack block from dual wielding wands.
You get around 27% attack block from Bone Offering.
This 42% attack block gets DOUBLED by Glancing Blows Keystone on the skill tree. This caps you at 75% attack block.
Glancing Blows doubles block chance, but makes it so you only block 1/2 of the damage.

Similarly, you get 8% Spell Block from the skill tree.
You get around 27% spell block from Bone Offering.
This 35% spell block is doubled to 70% Spell Block by Glancing Blows.

Unwavering Stance makes us immune to stuns. While immune to stuns, there is NO COOLDOWN on blocking, no block animation, we can block infinitely fast.
It's VERY POWERFUL.

We also gain just under 550 life every time we block, which we can do many times a second!

I use flasks for defenses
Life with anti bleed
Quicksilver for movement
Quartz for dodge
Basalt for phys damage reduction
Granite for more armor
Get anti freeze and anti curse on two of the above, your choice of what other mods on the other 2 flasks.

Minions will absorb a lot of hits, so the defenses are fine, unless you are doing something crazy dangerous like Sirius. But you can do Sirius if you are good at manually dodging.

Keep Bone Offering up at all times, its crucial to your defense.

Keep moving. Movement is a key defense

Spectres
Spoiler

We use Slave Driver spectres.
These are found in act 5, in the Control Pens (first area after act 5 town)

Just go into the area, desecrate until you see a Slave Driver corpse, (hold down A to see corpses)
REMINDER: if you have spell echo in your spectre link, TAKE IT OUT before summoning a spectre, as with it IN the link, the summon will cast twice, often getting the wrong spectre. Put the gem back in after you have max spectres.

If you want to start using spectres before act 5, and want to keep with the lightning motif, you can get BlackGuard Archmage in act 3 Ebony Barracks. Not nearly as good as Slave Drivers, but better than nothing.

What if I want to use different spectres?
Spoiler

You can! In fact, at the very dangerous endgame bosses, Slave Drivers may be too squishy. At that point we can change to a different tankier, harder to get spectre, like Redemption Sentry.

If you choose a cold damage spectre like redemption sentry, just change Conductivity curse to Elemental weakness.

If you choose a fire damage spectre you will also need a cold spell to proc EE, perhaps Winter Orb.

I am gonna see how far I can go with Slave Drivers.
But I may switch em, if they are too squishy.

Gameplay
Spoiler

Run around maps, often your spectres will kill things before zombies get to them. Cast armageddon brand on each pack.

Convocate when you need to move your minions to you.

Keep Bone Offering up at all times, its key to defense.

Keep moving.

Leveling Tips
Spoiler

(Endgame support gems are detailed in the SKILLS section.)

This build is a bit weak in acts 2 and 3. Stick with it. It gets stronger in act 4, and starts to dominate in act 5, and dominates for the rest of the campaign and in maps.

When you get to town at level 2, check the wand vendor for linked BBR wands.
do this EVERY time you go to town, until you get two. (they dont have to be wands, so if you find a BBR in another slot use it.

Take Raise Zombies as your first reward. Buy your favorite skill from Nessa, i like ethereal knives, but whatever you like, you wont use it long.

Rush to Mud Flats, find the 3 quest items on the ground, go to underground passage and waypoint back to town.
Quest reward is Summon Raging Spirits (usable at level 4)

Note: Zombies are very squishy at low level. You will be depending on SRS to kill hard stuff.
Later, zombies get very tanky.

You will have two minion links, one with SRS and one with Zombies
Support each with Minion Damage (quest reward on reaching prison, buy second one from vendor) and Melee Splash (buy from vendor after reaching prison)

You will use SRS and zombies until act 5.

Act two you will have the opportunity to buy Melee Physical support after doing Sharp and Cruel quest.
Swap it in for the melee splash in the zombies, keep melee splash for SRS.

At level 32 you can equip Triad Gloves, so buy them and wear them.
Getting them 4 blue can wait, if you are short on chromes.

Act 3 you have access to auras.
Use Purity of Elements aura while leveling.
It helps you cap your resists.
Once you are in maps and have spent some chaos on gear with good resists, drop it for Summon Skitterbots.

Precision Aura Can be bought in act 3 in the library after you do the library quest..

Wrath is needed as soon as you get Triad gloves blue sockets.

After you have the gloves with 4 sockets, Elemental Attack Damage is a good support for zombies.
(Can purchase from Siosa after doing his quest in act 3 in the library)
When you get the triad gloves to 4 blue, start using conductivity.
You wont get curse on hit support till act 4, armegeddon brand in act 3.

If for some reason you still dont have 4 blue sockets by the time you get curse on hit, use elemental weakness until you do get 4 blue on your triad gloves.

Elemental equilibrium is great once you have the Triad Gloves.
If you dont get 4 blue sockets right away (costs lots of chromes)
If you have a combo of red and blue sockets, use WINTER ORB instead of armageddon brand.

In act 4 you get mulstistrike support, this is a HUGE dps increase. USE IT.

You also get curse on hit in act 4.

In Act 5 you will get SLave Drivers, once you have 2 spectres, drop SRS and go with zombies and spectres. It should be EZ mode from here on out.

If you find a white or blue helm with good colors (2B/2R) you can craft +1 minion gems on it.

Recipie:
For the +1 minion gems helm:
Any MAGIC (blue) helm
Alteration Orb
Life flask of ANIMATION

To craft a life flask of animation:
Life Flask (Any rarity or size)
Transmutation orb
Bone Spirit Shield (any Rarity)(keep a lookout for these, they start dropping in act 2)

Other than that, just get gear with life and resists and any stats you may be lacking.
You will need some dex on gear.

As you get more currency, what to upgrade.
Spoiler

Wands:
You can dump a LOT of currency into wands. +1 all skill gems, +1 all minion skill gems, bonus to minion damage, bonus to minion attack/cast speed.
On the wand with desecrate and bone spirit, getting crafted "trigger socketed spells when you use a skill", is a HUGE quality of life bonus.

Amulet:
Jinxed Juju gives nice defense.
A rare ammy with +1 to intelligence gems.

Rings:
Increased minion movement speed essence crafting
Or if you want to do reflect maps, 2x rings with the mod "you and your minions take x% reduced reflected elemental damage"

Chest:
+1 spectres
Corrupted +1 gems.
Note: we need 6 blue sockets in our chest, but ES does us little good.
With Harvest crafting, you can buy a high armor chest, and EVENTUALLY harvest craft it to 6 blue sockets. There is a tier 1 seed that can give the harvest craft, "recolor one non blue socket into a blue socket".
Do this till you have 6 blues on your high armor chest. Or not, its up to you.

Boots:
+1 level of all spectre gems

Helm:
Another "sky is the limit" slot
+3 socketed minion gems, socketed gems are supported by level 20 minion damage,
Nearby enemies have -% to light resist. Crafted +1 skels/zombies

Animate Guardian
Spoiler

I have not included animate guardian in the main part of the build, as it does not do much at low currency levels, but is VERY strong at high currency levels.
And this guide is mostly about getting far on low currency.

Animate Guardian Gear
Cheap
Weapon-Dying Breath
Helm-Leer Cast
Chest-Ambu's charge
Gloves-Southbound
Boots-Victarios Flight

Expensive
Weapon-Kingmaker
Helm-Rare with life/chaos res/nearby enemies take % increased elemental damage
Chest-Gruthkul's Pelt
Gloves-rare with life/chaos res (Zombie str stacking should use Meginord's Vise)
Boots-Wake of Destruction

BE WARNED
IF your Animate Guardian dies, YOU LOSE ALL THE GEAR!

I have leveled this as my first toon in several leagues.
Even after the 3.10 nerfs to zombies and spectres it is still a GREAT SUPER CHEAP league starter.

3.11 Patch notes left this build unchanged.

Patch 3.11 tree changes that effect this build:
Subtracts 5% physical damage reduction.

Enjoy.
Last edited by Odif on Jul 2, 2020, 2:59:30 PM
Last bumped on Aug 2, 2020, 1:25:04 PM
thanks for you work on this build, I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Last edited by castellian on Jun 24, 2020, 4:53:12 PM
Why do the Triad gloves need to be four blue if we are only using Armageddon Brand, Curse on Hit, and Conductivity? Wouldnt we only need three blue?

Edit: I am totally blind and didnt notice skitter bots. If we are using skitter bots is it worth trying to get four link or just stick with three link and have skitter bot on its own?
Last edited by SquadleaderJoey on Jun 24, 2020, 8:43:21 PM
"
Why do the Triad gloves need to be four blue if we are only using Armageddon Brand, Curse on Hit, and Conductivity? Wouldnt we only need three blue?

Edit: I am totally blind and didnt notice skitter bots. If we are using skitter bots is it worth trying to get four link or just stick with three link and have skitter bot on its own?

The colors on the Triad Gloves were not chosen for what skill to put in them.
The skills were chosen to put in them based on the color of the gloves.

We need 4b in triad to turn zombies into lightning damage minions, so all our minions do lightning damage.
If you get Animate Guardian with Kingmaker drop fortify in Zombies (since guardian is giving fortify to all nearby allies, including you!). AG is AWESOME, but better to get him later on when his HP pool will be enough to survive. In last league i was using it, it even survived without ANY hp bar drop first sirius ;) This minion is hard to kill moth*******r ;)

In that case i would swap Fortify on zombies for Feeding Frenzy - easier clear.
Also i would add minion life linked to animate guardian (instead of feeding frenzy, since spectres and zombies are main offense here, not golems).
Last edited by misiooo0 on Jun 25, 2020, 6:09:36 AM
Would it be better to replace one of the other golems with Carrion golem? Seems a waste if we don't use its bonus to minions
"
Shinteo wrote:
Would it be better to replace one of the other golems with Carrion golem? Seems a waste if we don't use its bonus to minions

It would add some damage to minions (but not much) but you will loose quiet a bit of defense. Try it and see how it plays - if it will be good for you then go ahead with Carrion :) I myself prefere defense (because we already have here HUGE offensive power).
"
misiooo0 wrote:
If you get Animate Guardian with Kingmaker drop fortify in Zombies (since guardian is giving fortify to all nearby allies, including you!). AG is AWESOME, but better to get him later on when his HP pool will be enough to survive. In last league i was using it, it even survived without ANY hp bar drop first sirius ;) This minion is hard to kill moth*******r ;)

In that case i would swap Fortify on zombies for Feeding Frenzy - easier clear.
Also i would add minion life linked to animate guardian (instead of feeding frenzy, since spectres and zombies are main offense here, not golems).

Yes, if i ever get that rich, that i can afford a kingmaker AG, then I would take fortify off of zombies, but i would replace with melee physical attack.

Feeding frenzy has no damage bonus on it to the socketed mob,, too much dps loss.

I don't need zombies to clear, thats what the spectres are for.

Zombies kill bosses, and stand in place content like harvest and metamorph

With all the +gem levels I will have, hopefully the AG can survive without a minion life gem.
"
misiooo0 wrote:
"
Shinteo wrote:

It would add some damage to minions (but not much) but you will loose quiet a bit of defense. Try it and see how it plays - if it will be good for you then go ahead with Carrion :) I myself prefere defense (because we already have here HUGE offensive power).

The eternal tradeoff....offense vs defense.

Carrion Golem would add offense.

Removing either chaos golem or stone golem would lose defense.

It's a value call.

I choose defense, because you cant dps while dead.
And the bonus from Carrion golem is not very strong for spectres or zombies.
(its better for "many small minions", like SRS or Arakali spiders.
Makes sense. I'll give it a go and see how it work out. Thanks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info