Beta Vulkan Renderer

"
yamface wrote:

I wrote an OS and an accompanying sound driver from scratch. That includes all of the assembly and embedded C, register management, trap table implementation, core system calls, task schedulers, etc. Ask away.

If this is true, why would you do that? That is just an insane waste of time. People gave up on that level so long ago you probably could have created a new more efficient language than C in the amount of time that would take.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
LV9999Majin wrote:
"
yamface wrote:

I wrote an OS and an accompanying sound driver from scratch. That includes all of the assembly and embedded C, register management, trap table implementation, core system calls, task schedulers, etc. Ask away.

If this is true, why would you do that? That is just an insane waste of time. People gave up on that level so long ago you probably could have created a new more efficient language than C in the amount of time that would take.

It was required by my university to get my degree. What I said isn't actually much of a big deal. A basic OS is nothing like you think it is, it's no windows 10 if that's what you expect.

What that is meant to say is that I know the underlying functionality of a computer. Things that people say is harmless isn't actually always going to do harmless things. It's the difference in awareness.

As far as more efficient languages than C, there already is one: assembly. x86, ARM, make your pick. As far as human readable languages are concerned, C is unmatched even after decades and has matured from compiler optimizations to a point where creating a new language that beats C in performance is a serious task.
"
The simple answer as to why your driver can be damaged is that it's just not written well.

That's for sure a more civilized reply without all the "fkin brain" references.
Still, software physically corrupting hardware like a low-power IGP is highly unlikely, at best it can trash its own settings, registry and whatnot then fail to start if no "safe mode" is implemented .
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
If you run an Nvidia card you won´t need Vulkan that much, they have added a couple of failsafe mechanism over the years to "fix" the buggy mess DX11 is. AMD never managed that, which is why the cards so often crash and bug out.

So if you have an AMD card, use Vulkan, it´s like light and day and this in any game i played. It turns an old 280x into a 1080 performance wise, AMD just knowns how to utilize Vulkan best.
To be fair, GGG did state that this will not be improvement for everyone. In fact, in some cases its a direct downgrade (if you switch to it).

In my case, vlukan doesnt even come close the dx performance. 1050Ti. I assume it isnt supposed to either. Anywho, glad to see alot of people seem to be getting good results.
GGG - Why you no?
"
JoannaDark wrote:
To be fair, GGG did state that this will not be improvement for everyone. In fact, in some cases its a direct downgrade (if you switch to it).

In my case, vlukan doesnt even come close the dx performance. 1050Ti. I assume it isnt supposed to either. Anywho, glad to see alot of people seem to be getting good results.

Similar experience. Vulkan is like 35-40 FPS. I'm getting a consistent 75FPS (capped in settings, cause 60Hz screen on my Laptop) with DX11.

Haven't checked my desktop, cause I'm not at home, though.

On this machine, it's a huge performance regression, and it isn't really giving more consistent anything except way lower frame rates. I got more graphical glitches with Vulkan, as well (armor textures disappearing on player characters, etc.).
Dang it... you guys are making me think of reinstalling. Performance was never a big issue for me though.
vulkan is amazing. much improved performance, but i get crazy memory leaks after half an hour or so. i'm sure this can be fixed before 3.11. i hope the audio engine gets improvements next :)
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Dang it... you guys are making me think of reinstalling. Performance was never a big issue for me though.

I have noticed 2 things, a small improvement in overall performance, and a small increase in zone loading time, particularly in maps.
Yes, I have 2 SSD.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
To be back on the Vulkan subject, did anyone try different settings for it ?

I know with dx11 best performance at not achieved by lowest settings, and doing weird change can cause dramatic boost in fps.

So if someone feels like just trying out all settings one by one and combined with Vulkan, it could give leads to how optimize it together with the settings.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info