Beta Vulkan Renderer

"
yamface wrote:
"
dW2005 wrote:
If it's "grayed", you can change it by editing a parameter in ini file, renderer=xxx
Valid values for xxx are either DirectX11 or Vulkan

This is not good advice. If the option is grayed out even in the login screen, the first thing anyone should do is check if their gpu even supports the vulkan renderer.

People need to realize the grayout is there for a good reason before assuming it's a bug. Most intel integrated graphics for example doesn't support vulkan. So don't force it unless you want to test your luck on what would happen next.

Mmkay, and if its grayed on my 1060 nvidia card, which i know supports vulkan api?

Anyway, doing that won't format your hdd or erase your bios, the worst possible scenario - the game won't run and you have to change it back.
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
"
dW2005 wrote:
"
yamface wrote:
"
dW2005 wrote:
If it's "grayed", you can change it by editing a parameter in ini file, renderer=xxx

This is not good advice. If the option is grayed out even in the login screen, the first thing anyone should do is check if their gpu even supports the vulkan renderer.

People need to realize the grayout is there for a good reason before assuming it's a bug. Most intel integrated graphics for example doesn't support vulkan. So don't force it unless you want to test your luck on what would happen next.

Mmkay, and if its grayed on my 1060 nvidia card, which i know supports vulkan api?

Anyway, doing that won't format your hdd or erase your bios, the worst possible scenario - the game won't run and you have to change it back.

Do you think everyone runs a 1060? [Removed by Support] The worst thing that happens isn't nothing like you think. It can damage your drivers.
Last edited by Matthew_GGG on May 29, 2020, 10:15:23 AM
"
yamface wrote:
"
dW2005 wrote:

The game likely just wouldn't launch at all. Or it would blackscreen. Maybe it would crash. Maybe it would throw an error, maybe not.

Those are all the worst-case scenarios with changing that setting. It doesn't hurt to take the time to check if the gpu is supported, but it also won't hurt anything if it isn't and someone tries anyway.

It's not going to do anything to Windows, or the hardware, or the drivers.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
yamface wrote:
Do you think everyone runs a 1060? [Removed by Support] The worst thing that happens isn't nothing like you think. It can damage your drivers.

I did it on old 660gt, and guess what - it worked, no smoke coming outta teh computer, no zombie apocalypse around, no nothing.

[Removed by Support]
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
Last edited by Matthew_GGG on May 29, 2020, 10:15:46 AM
"
dW2005 wrote:
"
yamface wrote:

I did it on old 660gt, and guess what - it worked, no smoke coming outta teh computer, no zombie apocalypse around, no nothing.

[Removed by Support]

Is a 660GT the same as an integrated graphics card that I mentioned? Do you think your 2 examples of working graphics cards suddenly warrant you to make blanket statements about all of them? [Removed by Support]

You have no fucking idea what a driver is if you think they are just simply "files". Drivers are interface gateways between running software and your hardware in this case. They themselves are software.

Let me show you what happened to my roomate when he tried to force this:
Spoiler

It took almost 5 minutes for the driver to recover, then after a few minutes it went unresponsive again. The driver went corrupted. He has to wipe the drivers out and reinstall them before they do any potential damage to his hardware. [Removed by Support]
Last edited by Matthew_GGG on May 29, 2020, 10:16:10 AM
Very impressed so far.

It seems to handle clutter on the ground as if it's no longer a problem.
I hope the renderer's design is not to support unnecessary loot clutter and just get to work with removing these pointless drops and loot filters.
"
yamface wrote:

Lmfao you may as well say it can set your house on fire, the worst that'll happen is the game will crash and you have to go back into the same config file to revert to DX11
"
yamface wrote:
You have no fucking idea what a driver is if you think they are just simply "files". Drivers are interface gateways between running software and your hardware in this case. They themselves are software.

Let me show you what happened to my roomate when he tried to force this:
Spoiler

It took almost 5 minutes for the driver to recover, then after a few minutes it went unresponsive again. The driver went corrupted. He has to wipe the drivers out and reinstall them before they do any potential damage to his hardware. [Removed by Support]

Okay, enlighten me more on kernel mode development and device drivers in particular as you seem to be the local expert, lol. Especially on the point when it causes fatal damage to hardware, the integrated graphics in particular.

That message just means that a particular driver stopped responding for a certain period of time and can be caused by anything from faulty ram/hardware to exceptions/heap corruption caused by driver code itself and whatnot, and usually in the worst cases requires a reboot in case windoze fails to revive the dead body repeatedly.

"
dW2005 wrote:
Okay, enlighten me more on kernel mode development and device drivers in particular as you seem to be the local expert, lol. Especially on the point when it causes fatal damage to hardware, the integrated graphics in particular.

That message just means that a particular driver stopped responding for a certain period of time and can be caused by anything from faulty ram/hardware to exceptions/heap corruption caused by driver code itself and whatnot, and usually in the worst cases requires a reboot in case windoze fails to revive the dead body repeatedly.

Sure thing.

I wrote an OS and an accompanying sound driver from scratch. That includes all of the assembly and embedded C, register management, trap table implementation, core system calls, task schedulers, etc. Ask away.

The simple answer as to why your driver can be damaged is that it's just not written well. This is notorious for some major companies in the world graphics cards. If you know what kernel mode development is, then you know that anything running in kernel mode has full access to your hardware, memory, and can execute most if not all cpu instructions. What do you think is going to happen if you feed in something the driver and card doesn't recognize? In the world of programming, the short answer is "undefined behavior", which ranges between nothing to things much more serious.

That error FYI did not go away after a reboot. But no worries he removed the drivers and reinstalled them back in and is fine now. Thanks for baiting him though.
For all with grayed Renderer-option. Start the game and click the Options-button at the Login-Screen. Now you can change it into Vulkan.

Have fun!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info