Solution to EXP loss/Death Penalty that wont make everyone angry

"
veixc wrote:
Well, most of the casual leave the game very quickly and they leave to other games it means there are games that can offer something more than POE. Like you said on earlier post the game has 96 prc casual players (where the hell that number but well let it be then) it means the whole game stands up on casual players.

I think one of the sources is info like https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2757540
About 24% reached 12 challenges.

If I had to guess one have about 5-6 challenges when one reach maps, so say like 50% of the players never reach maps.

Now where does one draw the line for casual vs non?? no idea!
"
Crackmonster wrote:

I believe map drop-rates should be decoupled from map mods or monster quality in all ways, except map rarity(normal, magic, etc). Map mods should give you increased loot and xp only as the result of risk, but they should not double-dip on punishing you for not being able to handle the tougher mods by both lowing you in tier as well as lowering your rewards, it exponentially scales frustration in doing so and effectively makes the disparity between meta and non-meta much greater.

I also believe the ideal spot when roughly fullclearing maps should be you sitting on 2-3 tiers below max tier with burst into the highest tier maps when rng serves you well. Everyone should naturally be funneled into red maps. I would like for red maps to be a more balanced experience, i think it is a great mistake that the red map mods get so much harder, that only makes endgame performance so unstable and rippy. I plain and simply think red maps are out of control, and explode in power out of nowhere compared to everything you face until them, and even are out of balance for regular life characters even if they are using powerful defensive features.

I can definitely agree with that overall.

I guess we simply disagree on the fact that the last levels still have value to many, since soft-caping player level with the penalty on deah pretty much gives them this value.

"
Redthorne82 wrote:
**EDIT** I'm not saying I've never had fun either. Maybe the content is a combination of too easy and too long for me. Sirus and band of merry numbskulls weren't really a challenge for me. Sure, I was using my level 98 in standard for it, but the mechanics weren't challenging. I also feel like just flat buffing HP of bosses and such is so obnoxiously lazy.

Honestly, now that I think of it - maybe shortening the end game grind but making it harder is what I'm looking for. Hmmmm...

Ok, I also think that the Atlas grind got to ridiculous amount, I feel like it's gotten too much, and more important I don't like that new system for many reason, which adds insult to injury.

"
veixc wrote:
Well, most of the casual leave the game very quickly and they leave to other games

Could you ... stop pulling random facts out of your *** please ?
You have no idea about that, and it's not your couple of IG friends that will give you a significant sample to draw such conclusions.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:

"
veixc wrote:
Well, most of the casual leave the game very quickly and they leave to other games

You have no idea about that, and it's not your couple of IG friends that will give you a significant sample to draw such conclusions.

Oh well, lets look at the charts then. Dharall posted the link in his thread https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2757540.

What we can see there, only 24 prc players completed 12 challenges, and total 33 prc people completed over 12 challenges. It means 67 prc players didnt reach on 12 challenges, simple math.

Now im pretty casual players, i havent focused into any challenges, i have just played the game, atm i have total 360 map bosses killed, so im casual, and i have 15 challenges completed.

If you say that my conclusion is wrong, then please explain how it is possible to get less than 12 challenges when you just play the game. My conclusion is that they stop playing in some moment and move to some other game.
"
veixc wrote:
Oh well, lets look at the charts then. Dharall posted the link in his thread https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2757540.

What we can see there, only 24 prc players completed 12 challenges, and total 33 prc people completed over 12 challenges. It means 67 prc players didnt reach on 12 challenges, simple math.

Now im pretty casual players, i havent focused into any challenges, i have just played the game, atm i have total 360 map bosses killed, so im casual, and i have 15 challenges completed.

360 maps run is not casual, you're already beyond casual, get real plz.

But all of this is completely besides the point, like wtf.

You said that "most of the casual leave the game very quickly", well I don't care if 80% or 90% of the population is casual, there is literally no correlation between the %age of casual players and whether or not casual players are leaving the game quickly.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 13, 2020, 6:47:04 AM
Just make it a solo league and prevent party play in maps. Then the death penalty argument will be solved because 90% of the pro players won't be able to leech and bridge in parties to achieve level 95-100 in 3 days.

Because high level players level too quickly and the death penalty don't hurts them.

In this way, when they die and can't leech in party or get buffs to get that XXX level to build their meta, they will suddenly complaint the death penalty is too harsh.

High level players don't want too many players to be high level so that they can sell stuff to the weaker and the casual players.

Because any solutions will be met with stupid comments from the pros.

So the best solution is not to solve issues for the average players but to impose huge penalties on them.

For example, above 95, lose 1 level each time they die.
Level 90-94, lose 20% exp.
Each death = drop rate lower

Make it particular harsh to them so that they can really play the game with skills.

Actually the average players doesn't know how many times a high level actually die. It is actually alot, except that you don't feel the pain when you are not leveling anyway.

To the leveling players, of course it is painful death and that is common sense.

To those that don't feel pain, just volunteer to drop level when character dies. I'm sure GGG welcome these elite players to drop their levels because they want to slow down farming.

Just imagine, Sirus dropping a high level player 6 times. That will be awesomely so 'not' painful because the elite player will cry in forum, bosses are too easy.

So just punish all the elite players if they make mistakes, since they don't ever make any mistakes at all:X
"
Setasuna wrote:
Just make it a solo league and prevent party play in maps. Then the death penalty argument will be solved because 90% of the pro players won't be able to leech and bridge in parties to achieve level 95-100 in 3 days.

Because high level players level too quickly and the death penalty don't hurts them.

In this way, when they die and can't leech in party or get buffs to get that XXX level to build their meta, they will suddenly complaint the death penalty is too harsh.

High level players don't want too many players to be high level so that they can sell stuff to the weaker and the casual players.

Because any solutions will be met with stupid comments from the pros.

So the best solution is not to solve issues for the average players but to impose huge penalties on them.

For example, above 95, lose 1 level each time they die.
Level 90-94, lose 20% exp.
Each death = drop rate lower

Make it particular harsh to them so that they can really play the game with skills.

Actually the average players doesn't know how many times a high level actually die. It is actually alot, except that you don't feel the pain when you are not leveling anyway.

To the leveling players, of course it is painful death and that is common sense.

To those that don't feel pain, just volunteer to drop level when character dies. I'm sure GGG welcome these elite players to drop their levels because they want to slow down farming.

Just imagine, Sirus dropping a high level player 6 times. That will be awesomely so 'not' painful because the elite player will cry in forum, bosses are too easy.

So just punish all the elite players if they make mistakes, since they don't ever make any mistakes at all:X

I guess conspiracy theories will never die. But this is a new one at least.
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:

I believe map drop-rates should be decoupled from map mods or monster quality in all ways, except map rarity(normal, magic, etc). Map mods should give you increased loot and xp only as the result of risk, but they should not double-dip on punishing you for not being able to handle the tougher mods by both lowing you in tier as well as lowering your rewards, it exponentially scales frustration in doing so and effectively makes the disparity between meta and non-meta much greater.

I also believe the ideal spot when roughly fullclearing maps should be you sitting on 2-3 tiers below max tier with burst into the highest tier maps when rng serves you well. Everyone should naturally be funneled into red maps. I would like for red maps to be a more balanced experience, i think it is a great mistake that the red map mods get so much harder, that only makes endgame performance so unstable and rippy. I plain and simply think red maps are out of control, and explode in power out of nowhere compared to everything you face until them, and even are out of balance for regular life characters even if they are using powerful defensive features.

I can definitely agree with that overall.

I guess we simply disagree on the fact that the last levels still have value to many, since soft-caping player level with the penalty on deah pretty much gives them this value.

"
Redthorne82 wrote:
**EDIT** I'm not saying I've never had fun either. Maybe the content is a combination of too easy and too long for me. Sirus and band of merry numbskulls weren't really a challenge for me. Sure, I was using my level 98 in standard for it, but the mechanics weren't challenging. I also feel like just flat buffing HP of bosses and such is so obnoxiously lazy.

Honestly, now that I think of it - maybe shortening the end game grind but making it harder is what I'm looking for. Hmmmm...

Ok, I also think that the Atlas grind got to ridiculous amount, I feel like it's gotten too much, and more important I don't like that new system for many reason, which adds insult to injury.

"
veixc wrote:

Well, looking at GGG's own league statistics:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2757540

All levels, All Metamorph Leagues (PC)

Witch ----------13.77%
Necromancer ----10.86%
Ranger ---------9.06%
Shadow ---------7.88%
Duelist --------5.88%
Marauder -------5.29%
Templar --------4.85%

57.59% of the entire league's "players" never even advance to the Ascendancies?

So who are these players that never ascend? Bots? I'm guessing this, since today's builds require at least some ascended trees to be viable.

That leaves 42.41% of likely actual players.

I think GGG is conflating the actual players to look profitable to 10 cents.

Everyone that I knew has quit. Most players now are either a) new players that are fast becoming frustrated and rage quit, or b) returning players that once they get back into it, say F**K it and leave.

The game has become overly convoluted, extremely punishing to new and casual players (and even casual veteran players like myself), chocked full of bullshit screen diarrhea, over the top 1 hit shot mechanics, etc, etc, etc.

Add to this, white night GGG defenders that, no matter how ugly this game becomes, defend it with utter visceral discord, and dismiss the burgeoning threads on these forums pointing out why people are leaving the game.

Get real dude.
I dont think you understand how free to play model works. Pretty sure any free to play game has very similar distribution. I have tons of games on my steam account with just few hours or less of playtime.
Several years ago, GGG officially announced that the median PoE player got to, but not past, Act 1 Brutus. If those ascendancy numbers are correct, people are getting much further than they used to — it looks like the median might be somewhere around Act 3 now.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 14, 2020, 5:35:47 PM
"
Smear wrote:

Everyone that I knew has quit. Most players now are either a) new players that are fast becoming frustrated and rage quit, or b) returning players that once they get back into it, say F**K it and leave.

The game has become overly convoluted, extremely punishing to new and casual players (and even casual veteran players like myself), chocked full of bullshit screen diarrhea, over the top 1 hit shot mechanics, etc, etc, etc.

Add to this, white night GGG defenders that, no matter how ugly this game becomes, defend it with utter visceral discord, and dismiss the burgeoning threads on these forums pointing out why people are leaving the game.

Get real dude.

im a casual player too. but with some dedication , you can achieve shit. so don't fool yourself lol

graphical puke is shit, and its shit on pc indeed. yeah bs death happens "once in a while". you can avoid with proper problem solve skill (most players lacks and is the core issue)

everytime i take a break and come back, i feel like complete noob in poe, and takes a bit to learn. BUT thats the beauty of it.

the fcuking graphical puke is gettting fuckin worse and i absolutely hate this fuckin crap but oh well.
Last edited by Dudebag on Feb 14, 2020, 11:03:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info