Solution to EXP loss/Death Penalty that wont make everyone angry

"
Crackmonster wrote:
I believe map drop-rates should be decoupled from map mods or monster quality in all ways, except map rarity(normal, magic, etc). Map mods should give you increased loot and xp only as the result of risk, but they should not double-dip on punishing you for not being able to handle the tougher mods by both lowing you in tier as well as lowering your rewards, it exponentially scales frustration in doing so and effectively makes the disparity between meta and non-meta much greater.
Consider the following: what if map affixes all offered equal reward? All six-affix maps dropping as much as each other, all five-affix maps dropping an equally lesser amount, etc.

Risk-reward is baked into map rolling even under such a situation. The more map affix combinations your build can run comfortably, the less Chaos you spend rerolling the combinations you can't. Builds that can handle tough mods already have a distinct currency advantage over builds that don't.

However, using currency to reroll also has the effect of reducing randomness, limiting the pool of mods actually ran. The more currency applied to maps, the less random the affixes of the maps that are actually ran. Any encouragement of particular affixes as "chase" affixes — or, equally important, hard "flee" affixes — reduce the effective mod pool.

And when you're talking about endgame content meant to be ground for weeks and weeks, decreasing variety is a very bad idea. Maximum map affix diversity is a very desirable goal. "Alch and go" might not be something that every build will be capable of, but it is something that builds should aspire to and, if worthy, achieve. It is the replayability ideal.

So I wouldn't stop at map drops. I'd have every map affix provide equal rewards, period, and while I might fiddle with the average number of Chaos necessary to achieve six affixes, for currency sink purposes, I'd want to encourage as many players as possible to stop on the first six they roll.

Simply put, content variety is too important to take second place to some misguided notion of rerolling map as if they're gear.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
On the first part, coupling it to amount of affixes i would be on board with - it is similar to what i said(i basically also said rewards scaling with amount of prefixes normal<magic<rare. But your version has some advantages that caused me to reiterate mine.

Consider the following system:

Imagine you kept my suggested and added another two tiers so it would be normal, magic, rare-3prefix(regal), rare, 8-modscorrupt.

Using that system, it will do what you said in words even better in some ways. Because, if it is tied to amount of prefixes it does encourage chaos-rerolling which as you say leads to less variety in endgame and as such would be less interesting to farm for long periods than rather if you sometimes got a lucky easy 4 affix rare, sometimes a harder 6affix rare etc and would run both instead of needing to reroll the nice 4 affix one into 6affix. In other words my system would encourage more direct alch/alch-vaal approach --> variety over rerolls.

But a however to myself too, it would also encourage rerolling to get easy map mods. Which may actually make map rerolling at endgame more diverse and receptable to a wider variety of builds, by being a handout to weaker builds. It would leave the 2 main reasons for rerolling map mods outside of rip mods to be:

- Reroll to get easy 4mod rare
- Reroll to get nice drops 6mod rare

Vs your linked to number of prefixes system, your system would actually preserve a solid chunk of the map drop disparity between those builds who can't handle hard mods and those who run max hard. The very thing which i wanted to eradicate.

The problem is that the current system serves to increase the disparity between players, making the bad players more poor and the great players even richer. It is not a good result, map drop rates should be stable across maps and mods should be about the loot rewards. The map system itself always guarantees that players will lock themselves in for whatever map tier they like farming, because the maps you chose to run are the same map tiers that will roughly drop - if you keep farming t10's and don't run your hardest, you gonna kep dropping t10's.

When drops are tied into amount of monsters, and quantity of loot % dropped by those monsters, you can scale the map drops completely out of proportion for an elite of players to really benefit from and everyone else struggling much further down the ladder. PoE is more than enough elitist, it it very casual unfriendly and while a devils advocate could say "but it's good with rewards for knowledge", etc, that is just not always the case it doesn't always create a better game with too big disparities.

Ofc, quantity and monster scaling wouldn't be in your system, so most of what i wanted to eradicate would be gone.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Feb 15, 2020, 11:51:44 PM
"
Dudebag wrote:
"
Smear wrote:

Everyone that I knew has quit. Most players now are either a) new players that are fast becoming frustrated and rage quit, or b) returning players that once they get back into it, say F**K it and leave.

The game has become overly convoluted, extremely punishing to new and casual players (and even casual veteran players like myself), chocked full of bullshit screen diarrhea, over the top 1 hit shot mechanics, etc, etc, etc.

Add to this, white night GGG defenders that, no matter how ugly this game becomes, defend it with utter visceral discord, and dismiss the burgeoning threads on these forums pointing out why people are leaving the game.

Get real dude.

im a casual player too. but with some dedication , you can achieve shit. so don't fool yourself lol

graphical puke is shit, and its shit on pc indeed. yeah bs death happens "once in a while". you can avoid with proper problem solve skill (most players lacks and is the core issue)

everytime i take a break and come back, i feel like complete noob in poe, and takes a bit to learn. BUT thats the beauty of it.

the fcuking graphical puke is gettting fuckin worse and i absolutely hate this fuckin crap but oh well.

The qoute in the qoute is epic and the 40-challenges player saying he is a casual was the icing on the cake. OH you guys, give me such great treats around here!

40-Challenges Casual it's my new favorite Oxymoron.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Feb 16, 2020, 12:00:55 AM
shameless bump
Innocence forgives you
"
Crackmonster wrote:

The qoute in the qoute is epic and the 40-challenges player saying he is a casual was the icing on the cake. OH you guys, give me such great treats around here!

normally I play until 36/36. This was my first attempt to 40/40. and it took way longer than most of players who reaches 40/40.
I am a casual player b.c I normally play other stuff on my free time or get caught up with real life stuff.
It was a slow tiem of the year for me plus instead of playing other games, I played PoE.
And while in PoE, I tried to map as many as possible, instead of idling in HD.

It only took a little bit of dedicaton.
"
40-Challenges Casual it's my new favorite Oxymoron

First of this somehow implies anyone actually has to have or is entitled to 40/40. I played for 5 years, this is my first 40/40.
40/40 takes time and dedication you not entitled to it.

Second of all, you know what I did when i got 40/40? I instantly quit trade league, and current quite happy running in just 5 link in hc ssf. If you don't like road to whatever goal you have for season find another game.
Last edited by Deathfairy on Feb 16, 2020, 12:52:48 PM
"
Crackmonster wrote:
your system would actually preserve a solid chunk of the map drop disparity between those builds who can't handle hard mods and those who run max hard. The very thing which i wanted to eradicate
Well, I wasn't aiming to eradicate the value prioritized by the current system; I was aiming to prioritize a value other than the one prioritized by the current system. It's not as if the current system has eradicated map affix variety, because it can't, and it's not as if any replacement system you or I propose could eliminate better builds outperforming worse builds. Of course, reworking the system might change what standards are used to determine which builds are better, but you can't have perfect equality of outcome without eradicating freedom.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Dudebag wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:

normally I play until 36/36.

=> You are absolutely NOT casual, not even remotely close.

12 challenges is casual, 24 could maybe arguably be after 3 months, but it's usually not.
"
Deathfairy wrote:
"
40-Challenges Casual it's my new favorite Oxymoron

First of this somehow implies anyone actually has to have or is entitled to 40/40. I played for 5 years, this is my first 40/40.
40/40 takes time and dedication you not entitled to it.

Second of all, you know what I did when i got 40/40? I instantly quit trade league, and current quite happy running in just 5 link in hc ssf. If you don't like road to whatever goal you have for season find another game.

How does what you say have anything to do with what you quoted ? Oo
40/40 is not casual by any stretch of the imagination, why and how you got 40/40 is absolutely irrelevant here.

PS : dedication is one of the obvious things that makes one NOT casual at something, by the way ...
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Now i see since your definition if casual measured in number of challenges, you right it is oxymoron. FOR YOUR definition.
"
Deathfairy wrote:
Now i see since your definition if casual measured in number of challenges, you right it is oxymoron. FOR YOUR definition.

No it isn't measured in number of challenges, like wtf.

It's like I would tell you that somebody playing in a band doing 20 concerts a year likes playing music and you would react with "Now I see your definition of somebody who likes playing music is measured in number of concerts, so somebody who does not play at concerts does not like playing music".
That would be stupid af., don't you think ?
Because what I quoted is pretty much the same thing ...

Somebody making lots of concert is going to be playing a lot, the same way somebody with a high number of challenges in PoE is somebody who is playing a lot.

How bloody obvious is this ?
How much more simple am I supposed to make it to be understood here ?

holy f. cow ... I can't believe how I'm still surprised by people on the internet, you would think you would be expecting it all, but no lol.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 16, 2020, 8:37:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info