Solution to EXP loss/Death Penalty that wont make everyone angry

There's something about wanting a softer, gentler softcore softcore mode I find amusing.

I mean, there are mobile games for players that can't deal with penalties - I watched one guy try one and he didn't even have to play it just did everything for him and constantly pressed him to buy stuff.

If you can't even make it to end game on your own to the point you're complaining about it, then what leads you to believe you'll succeed?

I've done Uber Elder as low as 92, and he's been done as low as level 30 - though given the abyss jewel/gear nerfs that's probably no longer possible. But if there are players that are able to push that far beyond the limit, don't you think you'd want to be closer to meeting them more in the middle?

Yep, totally over league play.
I think it would be nice of you to avoid trolling, SeCKSEgai. It's not because the moderation doesn't punish you that it's a decent thing to do.
i hope diablo 4 is good cuz im done with this game death penalty in game with the most unstable servers i have ever [Removed by Support]
Last edited by Kane_GGG on Oct 25, 2020, 5:15:10 AM
Just remove the XP penalty in standard and keep it in the temporary leagues?

Leagues are about competing, while standard is about casual gameplay and progression at one's own pace.
So removing the penalty in standard shouldn't be too much of a problem for the more intense players that want that penalty to exist?
There is literally no good reason/argument to have this annoying XP penalty. It sucks the fun of the game and only tryhards care about. Good luck listening only to super hardcore players that make up to like, MAYBE 10% of the playerbase. I'm sure their MtX purchases will keep the company in a green light.
"
phosTR wrote:
There is literally no good reason/argument to have this annoying XP penalty. It sucks the fun of the game and only tryhards care about.

They are not even tryhards, just wannabes. If they were for real, they'd f*ck off to HC leagues anyways, which they obviously are not doing.

Althou, I wouldn't mind DP if it was somewhat reasonable at the highest levels. Now it is supposed to be a a sort of de facto switch to HC league at levels 96-97, which defeats the purpose of having a SC mode in the first place.
Last edited by vmt80 on Oct 25, 2020, 8:35:51 PM
I have always hated the way elitist kids throw around the word casual like an insult, news flash without more casual gamers none of you nerds would even have a game to play, get over yourselves.
From everything I've read from Chris, you can forget about this idea. One-shots and exp loss are never going to go away. One-shots will continue to get worse as they implement more and more league systems.

Working as intended.
“If freedom of [censored] is taken away, then [censored] and [censored] we may be led, like [censored] to the [censored].” - George Washington
I took a nearly 2 year break from this game and recently came back to see what had become of it.

It's the same old. My character became even worse and I have done nothing but spend all of my regret orbs and such to try and figure out a way with the tree too salvage my guy.

I've been stuck at 72 for a week now because of this dreadful death equals loss of EXP garbage. I already despise the concept of rolling a new character just because your current build suddenly sucks. It is honestly one of the reasons why as a 35 year old father of 2 who is married prefers Diablo 3. I like having 1 guy who I can simply reroll gear on to try new stuff out. My current marauder? Probably a total lost cause, as nothing I have been able to do to him since returning works. Can't 2h it because i had specced into sword and board. Can't change from bleed because I don't think melee is anywhere any better than it used to already not be. This shit shouldn't be a fucking job. We all play games to have fun, and this game has become obscenely tedious.

Tier 1 maps, should be easy but yet randomly find myself getting 1 shot from nearly offscreen because enemies can hit you and you can hardly even see them yet. There are no immunities to ailments it seems, even with Legendary items I have amassed, none of them seem useful really besides tal rashas robe, and even that is garbage because I lose 1k armor at least to even use it.

I can play with a friend who used a caster, and simply put, he puts me to shame. I can get my Lacerate, which is my favorite melee skill, up to nearly 7500 damage with the right setup, and the problem then becomes I am a glass cannon, and the moment anything hits me, its near death. He can stay back half screen and melt all that stand before.

This game needs some serious balancing for melee to seriously be viable, like inate damage reduction, higher threshold for elemental resists or something, because even with a set of gear on that gives me 75% to fire/ice/lightning I still find my guy getting set on fire, frozen, and shocked to fuck and getting merced by enemies that don't seem to give a flying fuck that they are bleeding like crazy. I expect bosses to be able to 1 shot you. Trash mobs instagibbing you with abilities is ridiculous.

Top that off with I can go a map or 2 and get my EXP bar up to half to 73, and then all it takes is 1 shitty map, or 1 shitty group of enemies, and all of that progress is gone. Its been enough today that on several occasions I simply immediately logged out of the game.

EXP loss needs to go. Put something else in its place, like reduced EXP gain until so many monsters slain in a row or some shit. Or spend exalted orbs to increase gain or something.

As it sits right now, I "want" to play, but with the exp loss on death, and the feeling like I shouldn't have to trudge through the entire fucking story again just to level a character up to where I am now, I don't want to even log in. Maybe if there were something akin to paragon levels where you could get boosts across characters as a whole, like resist all/ armor /life etc, it could be cool. Won't happen, but I think it would be neat.

Biggest reason I ever stopped playing Diablo 2 after LoD came out, was I got tired of the need to roll a new character just to try a new set of gear for something. Obviously I can't turn my marauder into a hulking mass of muscle with a great bow or a staff and mickey mouse wizard hat, but jesus...my guy should know enough about swinging something metal and the size of a truck bumper that its pretty goddamned similar whether its an axe the size of a buick century, or a set of swords for each hand, or a mace to "bonk off to horny jail" the enemies with.

:(
"
xJdKxZomBiE wrote:
I took a nearly 2 year break from this game and recently came back to see what had become of it.

It's the same old. My character became even worse and I have done nothing but spend all of my regret orbs and such to try and figure out a way with the tree too salvage my guy.

I've been stuck at 72 for a week now because of this dreadful death equals loss of EXP garbage. I already despise the concept of rolling a new character just because your current build suddenly sucks. It is honestly one of the reasons why as a 35 year old father of 2 who is married prefers Diablo 3. I like having 1 guy who I can simply reroll gear on to try new stuff out. My current marauder? Probably a total lost cause, as nothing I have been able to do to him since returning works. Can't 2h it because i had specced into sword and board. Can't change from bleed because I don't think melee is anywhere any better than it used to already not be. This shit shouldn't be a fucking job. We all play games to have fun, and this game has become obscenely tedious.

Tier 1 maps, should be easy but yet randomly find myself getting 1 shot from nearly offscreen because enemies can hit you and you can hardly even see them yet. There are no immunities to ailments it seems, even with Legendary items I have amassed, none of them seem useful really besides tal rashas robe, and even that is garbage because I lose 1k armor at least to even use it.

I can play with a friend who used a caster, and simply put, he puts me to shame. I can get my Lacerate, which is my favorite melee skill, up to nearly 7500 damage with the right setup, and the problem then becomes I am a glass cannon, and the moment anything hits me, its near death. He can stay back half screen and melt all that stand before.

This game needs some serious balancing for melee to seriously be viable, like inate damage reduction, higher threshold for elemental resists or something, because even with a set of gear on that gives me 75% to fire/ice/lightning I still find my guy getting set on fire, frozen, and shocked to fuck and getting merced by enemies that don't seem to give a flying fuck that they are bleeding like crazy. I expect bosses to be able to 1 shot you. Trash mobs instagibbing you with abilities is ridiculous.

Top that off with I can go a map or 2 and get my EXP bar up to half to 73, and then all it takes is 1 shitty map, or 1 shitty group of enemies, and all of that progress is gone. Its been enough today that on several occasions I simply immediately logged out of the game.

EXP loss needs to go. Put something else in its place, like reduced EXP gain until so many monsters slain in a row or some shit. Or spend exalted orbs to increase gain or something.

As it sits right now, I "want" to play, but with the exp loss on death, and the feeling like I shouldn't have to trudge through the entire fucking story again just to level a character up to where I am now, I don't want to even log in. Maybe if there were something akin to paragon levels where you could get boosts across characters as a whole, like resist all/ armor /life etc, it could be cool. Won't happen, but I think it would be neat.

Biggest reason I ever stopped playing Diablo 2 after LoD came out, was I got tired of the need to roll a new character just to try a new set of gear for something. Obviously I can't turn my marauder into a hulking mass of muscle with a great bow or a staff and mickey mouse wizard hat, but jesus...my guy should know enough about swinging something metal and the size of a truck bumper that its pretty goddamned similar whether its an axe the size of a buick century, or a set of swords for each hand, or a mace to "bonk off to horny jail" the enemies with.

:(

72 that's you that's literally player error that's not the game that's just you.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info