[3.9] Burning Arrow Chieftain League Start - Budget Friendly

"
rpgambit wrote:
"
ryderbg wrote:
I think many players are quitting this build. I spend around 20ex on the gear and looks OK up to T14. Can anyone tell me how is on the upper tiers. Feel like the damage is quite low.

I'm having a great time with it. I rolled something else for a little bit because I had an idea I wanted to try out, but I have a week of vacation this week so I plan to flesh this one out to completion and try and get some T16 / Boss vids up. I'm clearing T16 with no problems other than getting occasionally one shot by T16 metamorphs. With about a 10-15ex investment into the 4 awakened supports this build can use plus the malevolence watcher's eye you can get your DPS to the 2.5-3mil range. More if you pop a vaal burning arrow during Ngamahu.

PoB dps is hard to trust because it uses average damage to determine ignite damage where most of the time you'll have an above average ignite ticking. It also can't handle the 35% faster ignite damage on the belt, the 8% faster from the tree, or the 13% from malevolence watcher eye (running 3ex right now, so not bad). So that right there is 56% more damage PoB doesnt account for. It also can't handle ngamahu's flame which if you're using temp chains and awakened unbound ailments has a lot of effective uptime.

The task at hand is getting survivability up enough to not get capped by T16 metamorphs. The dps is definitely there. I may end up divesting from DPS nodes for more health in the end. It also has great regen, so if you don't get one shot, you top off very quickly.

Here's the PoB I'm currently theorycrafting with. It's my actual character plus a 6 link bow and the awakened gems I plan to get and I added a buff to Tempered Mind to account for Ngamahu being up 70% of the time. Honestly the uptime is likely higher but I wanted to be conservative. Remember to add 56% to the shown ignite DPS and then 200% to that since you can stack 5 40% "bonus" ignites from burning arrow.

https://pastebin.com/TNsdqEVa

Thank you for your investigation and work on the survivability of the build. I just recently ran Sirus for the first time and had some trouble surviving his attacks. I like the direction of switching the tree up a little and burning our enemies out. I may add a little more information in the build page about how PoB calculation is not exactly what you get. I feel like a lot of beginners will fall into the trap of trusting PoB damage calc too heavily.

If you do end up posting some T16 boss vids please pm me with info. I'd love to showcase them on the build page to show others exactly what the build can do. We might even be able to add links to all your gear in the video for the sake of consistency.

I've been pretty busy recently so updating the build information has been slow, but the overall reaction to the build seems positive! I'm glad everyone is enjoying.

GL
Uh oh, Stinky
"
Also, wouldn't the Thick Skin line (14% life, 8% chance to ignore ailments, 10 dex) be worth it over three 5% life nodes?

I like this idea. I changed the pathing on my PoB to accommodate it.

Apparently PoB is now calculating the faster ignite damage from the belt, but not from malevolence watcher's eye or the node on the tree. So I updated my PoB and added the faster ignite damage from those two effects to the belt's effect. I also added the +20% fire damage over time multiplier and +10% damage over time multiplier to the tempered mind jewel since PoB is not accounting for those effects from the quality on the awakened jewels.

With the current setup hitting around 3.5-4mil dps

https://pastebin.com/YZXhMb53
Last edited by rpgambit on Dec 31, 2019, 12:48:46 PM
"
rpgambit wrote:
"
Also, wouldn't the Thick Skin line (14% life, 8% chance to ignore ailments, 10 dex) be worth it over three 5% life nodes?

I like this idea. I changed the pathing on my PoB to accommodate it.

Apparently PoB is now calculating the faster ignite damage from the belt, but not from malevolence watcher's eye or the node on the tree. So I updated my PoB and added the faster ignite damage from those two effects to the belt's effect. I also added the +20% fire damage over time multiplier and +10% damage over time multiplier to the tempered mind jewel since PoB is not accounting for those effects from the quality on the awakened jewels.

With the current setup hitting around 3.5-4mil dps

https://pastebin.com/YZXhMb53

I'm testing these changes out. Loving Asenath's Chant so far. It's a shame the item is 1.2 ex right now.

Edit: Just ran a T15 with this setup. Metamorph was a joke. temporal chains is a great add. Also just 20% my Dyadian. Gonna see how fast bosses melt now! :D
Uh oh, Stinky
Last edited by BDZLE on Dec 31, 2019, 2:40:53 PM
I would remove steel skin from the helmet. Not having it tied to a CWDT gem means it may very well be down when you need it. On the helmet it will serve you against proper one shots (one actual shot that kills you) but likely be on cd when you take repeated quick hits (which I find is generally how deaths happen. Metamorph one shots at t16 probably would eat through steel skin anyways).

I think decoy totem is the way to go, as it taunts in an area around itself when its cast and it can take one or two hits from a metamorph without dying (and it will be re-summoned anyways so why does it matter?). Should result not only in real life survival increases but dps increases, since you won't need to spend as much time dodging. Only thing that could hurt it is if the totem is being summoned too quickly to take effect before another is being summoned, but I think the internal cd on the helmet should prevent that from happening realistically.
Unfortunately Decoy Totem doesn't work with the helmet. I just tried Vaal Summon Skeletons and looks much like Decoy Totems. Shooting arrows will summon skeletons (2 every 2-3 seconds) which will distract enemies. With Metamorph is even better. Using Vaal part of the skill will summon 20+ skeleton and Metamorph is chasing them, giving you the window to attack.
"
ryderbg wrote:
Unfortunately Decoy Totem doesn't work with the helmet. I just tried Vaal Summon Skeletons and looks much like Decoy Totems. Shooting arrows will summon skeletons (2 every 2-3 seconds) which will distract enemies. With Metamorph is even better. Using Vaal part of the skill will summon 20+ skeleton and Metamorph is chasing them, giving you the window to attack.

Love the idea of skeletons. Going to try as soon as I get home.

This helmet may be the most fun thing they've added in a while. I feel like green arrow having all these utility gems for different situations. I'm trying to theory craft if some kind of lightning arrow / 4 link arc build could work scaling shock. Use it like a mjolnir.
I made a related build with scion, taking some input from this build :). Started with scion for to try a ballista/random bow skill hybrid. Turns out it was pretty bad (okay for lvling) so switched to burning arrow. I hate lvling so I stayed scion with chieftain and deadeye and adapted it.
So far so good, still need better gloves and figuring out what's best to put in ascenaths chant, and 2 2-point jewel sockets available. 420k no bullshit ignite dps (no op/weird things just my gear now). More than enough for endgame, did shaper easily, got sirius at awakener 4 down to 30% in a minute or so (storms fucked me of course).

pastebin here:
https://pastebin.com/FsiXJjcC
Last edited by Jaapstam on Jan 3, 2020, 6:56:41 AM
@RPGambit

Can you please just explain your gem choices in your POB link.

I just want to understand it better. Is your suggested build better than the one in the thread? If so why and in which way?

I see you use different gems in your bow. I think i understand the aura choices with watchers eyes.

Im not sure i get the rest of the gem setup?

What is your opinion of ditching drillnek, getting the +2 pierce anoint instead to have a better quiver? It seems you use both with the talisman 2 pierce (but im assuming that is just pob manioulation, and actually the anoint on it? )

How do you apply your curses? What do you think of the double curse setup with awakened curse gem? Where would you put it in the build?

Cheers. I never went into this much into a build

Edit: You curse with the helmet trigger if im not mistaken?
Last edited by Gizdalord on Jan 3, 2020, 10:07:34 AM
Great build. Using it with fun so far.

Could you please explain the bow simulation you did for Nurture in PoB ? Do we still need it that way in the last version of PoB (1.4.157) ? I understand the 100% for the ascendancy but not the 10% and 20%...

Thanks !
IGN: Grimmy_ThunderFury
"
grimgroth wrote:
Great build. Using it with fun so far.

Could you please explain the bow simulation you did for Nurture in PoB ? Do we still need it that way in the last version of PoB (1.4.157) ? I understand the 100% for the ascendancy but not the 10% and 20%...

Thanks !

I'm actually not sure why the simulation bow is setup that particular way. Another user had suggested it. That bow will likely be removed from my PoB since I plan on releasing a new PoB soon that features a tankier setup to deal with how hard metamorphs hit. To do this I've taken the ascendancy node Tawhoa rather than Ngamahu and specced into a few endurance charge nodes on the tree. The difference has been very positive so far. I hit a wall leveling around 91 with the old setup. I can gladly say that the new tanky option has allowed me to reach 92 and I feel confident the build could run Sirus with enough practice.
Uh oh, Stinky

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info