How We're Approaching the Melee Rebalance in 3.7.0

"
Mark___75 wrote:
I am surprised that there is still no one-click skill which would fry to death all monsters on the entire map. This would make things much faster.

Chris had a problem with that back in 2.2, since we DID have that build: it was called Voltaxic Spark. One click w/old Vaal Spark and you could clear the entire zone, and it could do all map mods and content.

2.3 took a multi-faceted approach to nerfing it into oblivion: Vaal Spark was badly nerfed. (giving it much more finite range) Next, Ascendant was annihilated: her only two good picks when first introduced were Berserker (more damage + life leech that worked w/spells?) and Deadeye, (faster+more projectiles that worked w/spells?) rendering Scion utter garbage that was played less than Berserker is today. Lastly, they claimed that "chaos damage should be rare and special," and retro-nerfed Voltaxic Rift, alongside Consuming Dark and Infernal fuckin' Mantle in their chaos conversion. (and yet, at the same time they were going "look at these shiny new chaos spells like Essence Drain!)

I guess he might feel differently about it now.

"
NexiieQT wrote:
Winter Orb needs a serious damage nerf, like at least 25% LESS its current version. It's just too mechanically powerful to allow it also be able to deal good damage. If you don't nerf it, melee won't get much to shine I'm afraid no matter how you rework them.

It was quite a joke that their "balance" for it was... To cut its DPS by 1/6. Of course, 83.3% of a ridiculous amount is still almost the same.

TBH, I'd probably remove the AoE component to it, and make it a colliding projectile. REALLY cut its clear ability.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
NexiieQT wrote:
Winter Orb needs a serious damage nerf, like at least 25% LESS its current version. It's just too mechanically powerful to allow it also be able to deal good damage. If you don't nerf it, melee won't get much to shine I'm afraid no matter how you rework them.

Ridiculous, play it without appropriate gear and come back
Well, I'm being cautious about this because I feel like past melee reworks have been poor. But I like the direction here.

The problems with melee aren't about it feeling clunky, the problems stem stem the fact that most melee xp/time is like a tenth that of ranged or spells. That's what you need to fix.

If you pull this off correctly it'll be the single biggest change since desync was fixed. If not i probably won't be back to poe until the next major melee rework.

No pressure. :)
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
I hope all this is actually tested and we're not playing melee beta in the next league.
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
Honestly I don't want to "keep coming back" to poe, I want it to be a full time game because it has everything any type of player would want. The main discouragement of this game, for me at least, is the ridiculously high prices of the mtx's. I know it's free to play, but so is dota and apex and they have more value for money for their mtx's. I honestly believe a lot of people would spend more money more often on the mtx's if they were more affordable, because that's one of the most satisfying character customization of the game.
Ooh this looks promising.
"
Rockell wrote:
"
"
There have actually been calls to nerf one particular melee build - Molten Strike

Lol, i guess, he s talking about Blade Flurry. But the truth is: nobody gives a shit about it, because you dont need 150 mil dps to kill the bosses. And the clear speed of BF is far from the best.

I'm not talking about molten strike or blade flurry.

It's less about the skill and more about the stat.

Again, step outside the basic meta.

So, may be you r talking about action speed stat, which can be abused by Temporal chains and similar things on you, resulting in long-lasting buffs from Indigom, Phase run (which can be stacked), Soul eater, flasks and anything you wish. Yes, it is good one, but again: you can easily kill bosses with Ele hit, arc mines, brands and tons of other stuff.

In my message i m talking about the problem in general. Sid Meier once told: "The good game is about interesting choices". He was goddamn right. And what we choose in PoB? And then in PoE, where actual gameplay is gonna be?

My most important choice this league (at the start) was to stop going killing mobs and begin to making currency in PoE trade, lol. Now i can play the game as i want to.
To argue with a fool means to sink to his level.
"
(...)
In my message i m talking about the problem in general. Sid Meier once told: "The good game is about interesting choices". He was goddamn right. And what we choose in PoB? And then in PoE, where actual gameplay is gonna be?
My most important choice this league (at the start) was to stop going killing mobs and begin to making currency in PoE trade, lol. Now i can play the game as i want to.

"The good game is about interesting choices"
This sentence is the exact reason why I like some games and some of them I hate!
This is why I have spend long time with some strategy games and this is a reason why PoE witch all those hundred active skills and massive passives tree looks so fabulous. Reality in PoE is not that fabulous - GGG is trying to force players to play the game GGG thinks is better for them, not to play it in the way players would prefer.
Last edited by Mark___75 on Apr 12, 2019, 8:31:56 AM
don't you dare rework Berserker into a meta class
Synthesised Synthesis of Synthetic Synthesising
-----------------------------------------------
Revert 3.7 melee changes | Tfw Synthesis still not core | REVERT SUNDER
-----------------------------------------------
IGN: JustineㆍFlorbelle [Removed by Support] imagine being a forum janitor lmao
Last edited by kole on Apr 28, 2020, 12:25:39 AM
Please make Berserker good again, because now the character is unplayable by bleeding on him.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info