Path of Exile 3.6.0 will not support Windows XP or Vista

"From what we can see, most of the players choosing to use the DirectX 9 version of Path of Exile were not doing so because their operating system didn't support DirectX 11, but because the old renderer allowed you to disable shadows."

That's me when playing from my laptop. I used to be able to play it in window mode with chrome on the side... on the same laptop... now i can barely play it fullscreen with everything closed. :(
"
DistantBliss wrote:

For a developper with less funds it would make far more sense to actually keep the game running on the specs it was released on rather than constantly upgrading the requirements (as this involves adding new tech as explained and introduced in Delve).

it's the opposite, you don't attract new players with graphics from the last millenium.

you're forced developing forward and keeping backwards compatibility inherits a high cost in dev time (especially when it comes to testing your code) you can't pay for.

but, imho, the real reason they drop support is the additional load they brought upon themselves with supporting 2 consoles, something has to go as a compensation.

"
DistantBliss wrote:

Besides with Tencent infesting in GGG more funds became available.

so far nobody knows if they invested or expect a certain return of investment/year.

they bought shares off some poe members but that's private money and has nothing to do with ggg's finances.

sorry if my short post came over insulting, haven't had much time ;)
Finally!

What a bad decision, instead of giving DX11-users the choice to disable a feature that so many players despise so much that they rather play with an "antique" grafics engine than to endure the shadows, you take away the only way to get rid of them.
The game looks so much better without them, but unforunately with the DX9-engine the games crashes every few minutes on my PC
"
Dedisdead wrote:
I hope windows 7 won't go away fast. Not until something less intrusive than windows 10 exists at least. If dropping xp and vista could allow you to optimize your engine to make the game stop dropping FPS even with a GTX1080 + i7 please do !

I'm on windows 10 with an i3 and a 970 and I never drop frames. Just tell your windows what you want it to do and not do. It's the most annoying windows version but it also has the most customization.
"
Achromat1969 wrote:
What a bad decision, instead of giving DX11-users the choice to disable a feature that so many players despise so much that they rather play with an "antique" grafics engine than to endure the shadows, you take away the only way to get rid of them.
The game looks so much better without them, but unforunately with the DX9-engine the games crashes every few minutes on my PC

Nothing on earth looks better without shadows. https://www.amusingplanet.com/2017/04/lahaina-noon-when-shadows-disappear.html
Nothing.
Literally looks like a shit render of a bad video game.
Last edited by ClickerPro on Jan 29, 2019, 5:05:46 PM
"
ClickerPro wrote:
"
Achromat1969 wrote:

Nothing on earth looks better without shadows. https://www.amusingplanet.com/2017/04/lahaina-noon-when-shadows-disappear.html
Nothing.
Literally looks like a shit render of a bad video game.

POE looks WAAAY better without the shadows. The game already has too much eye candy. We don't need any more. The shadows are very hard on the eyes, they are distracting, and they make it harder to see things. If I'm forced to have the shadows on, it may well be enough to make me quit playing the game. DX11 is also buggy. GGG needs to fix the bugs and allow us to turn off the shadows, along with turning off a lot of other things.

It's a never ending cycle. Software devs force people to buy new hardware, and hardware companies force people to buy new software. Neither of which is needed. Modern computers are blazing fast. There is no good reason why modern computers and software shouldn't last 20 years or more....except a few spoiled whiny brats want more eye candy. Well fuck them!
"
RedwoodCoast wrote:
Good use of development resources, dumping xp and vista! Why not windows 7 too!

because windows 10 is horsecrap ?
Windows 8 had absolutely atrocious design decisions to begin with, and they upgraded it to 10, they didn't rework it from scratch.

Microsoft fucked up big time with windows 8, they tried to somewhat fix it with 8.1 and 10, but you don't 'fix' a shit base designed for tablet like this, if you wanta new system you make one from a clean base.
Which they didn't.

I guess if I ever buy a new computer, that will be purism, many are already running PoE on Linux after all.

Anyway, good thing to drop xp and DX9 support imo, I hope that we will see performance improvement from that :)
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info