Path of Exile, Gameplay Criticism

"
鬼殺し wrote:

Alright, but first a disclaimer: I don't speak for the devs, I merely interpret what I've been told, what I observe, and go from there.

Firstly, the most obvious reason: if QA (those who read feedback/suggestions the most) were to respond to any one thread here, this would set an interesting precedent. Why that thread over any other? Why not others? Okay, respond to others. Before you know it, it's a full-time job. Less time running QA, more time running what should be a community manager's job, really.

There is no reason why engaging with the community has to set any precedent for future engagement. If I do accept the precedent explanation as valid, then that would make fear of the player base the reason why they don't engage. I can't buy the time excuse, unless I think they don't read this forum at all, (which you have said they do) as simply reading it is a time sink.

So why doesn't the community manager do it? Because she's busy with video creation and yes, reddit lubrication. A GGG post on reddit is nowhere near as 'formal' as a GGG post here. That's just how reddit is perceived. It's logistically sound for Bex to pander to the reddit crowd. Like or not, even I see the sense in that.

This is just shake my head bad here. Why even have a feedback section on the forums. Just direct people to reddit. It's sorta crappy to hear that the one person who is supposed to be interacting with the community doesn't have time, but can make the time on a third party forum, and the reason is that they fear formality? Once again, this is because of the community, which you have assured me is not the reason.

Next, assuming not every feedback post can get a response, there's the assumption that those that do will somehow be more likely to get acted upon than those that seem 'ignored' by the devs. That's just plain untrue. Plenty of feedback posts I've seen get zero attention on here have directly affected the game's development. And with the glaring exception of the FFA trade thread and PERHAPS the lab thread, some of the busiest threads on here go nowhere development-wise.

You are assuming what other people are assuming hehe. I'll just tell you what I perceive. If no feedback is acknowledged, ever, then there is no way to tell whether it's even being read. sure, I have your assurance on this, but you are just another poster in a long line of posters. Once again , they seem to be afraid of how the community will perceive their interaction, and the ramifications.

So with all that in mind, yes, GGG's own forum for feedback/suggestions has become something of a look-don't-touch situation. And that's hard for players to take because it seems like they're being ignored. They are not. ESPECIALLY if their feedback is presented civilly and clearly, as is the case with this thread (although 13 minutes is a surprisingly long time from a dev perspective, which is why good feedback posts have summaries, bullet points, etc -- even my serious ones have sub-headings and highlighted text for skimming).

There is no incentive to put loads of time into a post you can't be sure will ever get read. cudos to this poster, but there is no way for them to know whether or not they just wasted their time. You said yourself you don't speak for anyone but yourself, so your assurances have about as much merit to most people as the guy who makes the "sod off, this league is crap, and I don't have to give any reasons" poster.

This IS a slush pile, let's not pretend otherwise. The forum lacks the convenient (but problematic) upvote system, so standing out is tough. The ways to stand out in a slush pile can be obvious if not available to everyone (throw lots of money at GGG early on thus earning a sort of reciprocal respect, provide lots of feedback, or a mixture of both) and they can be less so (be different but not wearisomely so, for example). Being rude won't help a person's case at all, even though 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease' can apply; 'squeaky wheel' is not 'loudest, most obnoxious fucker on the forum' in any case.

Great advise, but with no interaction, there is no reason to follow it, which is why we get the posts we do. I would argue that an occasional nod to a well thought out post would go quite a long way in making the feedback forum a more useful tool, and would help greatly in making the community, as a whole, a better partner..

I do know some folks who give feedback here who have no idea how much they've changed the game. Just as I know some folks who provide oodles of feedback but very rarely strike upon something the devs can actually use (me, for example).

There is no way to know this is true, simply because there is no interaction.

Finally, we've come a long way from the beta days, back when feedback was far more welcome and useful. PoE2019 is on a much more specific, guided course than PoE2012. I think while it's great for people to provide feedback of their own volition, it's when TencentGGG directly asks for feedback on something specific that we can really get in there and maybe be collectively heard. That doesn't happen much anymore. TencentGGG is an incredibly confident company compared to GGG circa 2011/12. I still see them as amateurs given they've only made one game, but it's fair to say that the various iterations of PoE since its inception are comparable to 'different games' in terms of learning and improvement.

So basically all that stuff you said before is moot? it's kind of funny actually when I think about it. "just leave the feedback forum up and let those idiots waste their time" I am kind of saddened by that, but I am really not that special to anyone but myself and my family, so I guess I can understand why my opinions would not matter here.

Either way, there it is. It has (almost) nothing to do with the player base and much more to do with where the game is now and the pitfalls of engaging with feedback at all from a dev perspective...and where the CM can have the most impact day-to-day when it comes to engaging with the day-to-day community.

From what I have just read , it seems to have most everything to do with the playerbase, or at the very least, the community that frequents the boards.

I'll let you know what I think following each paragraph above. I will say you have opened my eyes quite a bit.

I apologize OP, for moving the thread away from your feedback.
Last edited by Xtorma on Jan 16, 2019, 12:37:05 AM
Very good video that summarize the main flaws.

I'm sure the devs are fully aware of them, but sometime I think: do they really want to solve them? Probably no or not now.

Charan says the ugly truth: it's all about the money and these days in gaming industry quantity makes more money than quality (Paradox anyone? :-p).
That's why we get submerged by bloated (and sometimes poorly tested) content, because GGG's data shows them that quantity increments the playerbase and (perhaps, not so sure about it) player's retention in the long run.

I'm sure this is working now, it worked before for other Big names (WoW, D...), but it won't work forever.
There will be a time when they have to switch back to quality, otherwise the road will be the same as the big names above and there will be a new, indie game, that will slowly steal playerbase...

You know: history ALWAYS repeats himself because humans ALWAYS think they're smarter and they won't make the same mistakes others did, but in the end they do. :-(
I'm an ex-exile beacuse I play more rewarding ARPGs! :-P

I miss the "Daily Insightful Charan" with my coffee!

English is not my main language: that means I'll write strange things! :-D
Last edited by Anteo12 on Jan 16, 2019, 6:26:07 AM
Like a few others said I doubt much is going to be changed. Thank you for the feedback and criticism, you have very good points. The problem is the current gameplay(or lack of it, so to speak) is highly supported by the majority of players. Since GGG's main objective is to attract as many players as possible they don't care about spending their developer time to balance/rework the whole game's structure as that might piss off a major audience who have no incentive to use more than a single brain cell while playing poe so i doubt it will bring them a better revenue therefore they won't invest their time into rebalancing the game. So here we are, we got a game that pretends to be a game but really is nothing but a clicking simulator. Click here, click there, watch things die, yawn and move on. No difficulty scaling, no challenge, just click, click, click, click, click.

GGG is not the only problem here, imo. As long as they can get away with ignoring the game's balance they will continue doing so thanks to the gaming audience these days that got so extremely lazy they want everything handed over to them and apply no effort to anything. As long as we have this kind of mentality we will continue having this ridiculous "no gameplay" game where you just kill everything before it has a chance to do any damage to you.

The only way to change the way the game is played is to provide actual feedback/make videos, keep the topic up about things like power creep, balance issues and etc. Even streamers themselves who are pretty much "bread and butter" to GGG they rarely bring up any issues, they just nod to whatever GGG makes and support every their decision. That's why I do not watch those streamer podcasts anymore since they only brag about insignificant things and never bring up real issues that the game is facing and when Chris comes to podcast they never objectively criticize the game. This is why I kind of miss ProjectPT as he was the only one who had the balls to do so.
Last edited by Dr1MaR on Jan 16, 2019, 7:07:10 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:

So yeah, it always comes back to money. And the money for PoE lies not in merely making the game 'better', but in selling new bits of it, give or take. There's no real financial motivation to make PoE the best ARPG it could be because it's already the best ARPG there is. That is what the fans will defend, but few will deny it could be a lot better.

there is one way you can go when you are the highest.
and i doubt they will make this mistake.
for some a better game is a different version of poe but dont forget that others sticking around for its current version.
there are some stupid suggestions that would ruin poe and one can only hope they will never be implemented (ah,autopick,no death penalty,weakening the monsters etc.)
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
I find myself agreeing with a lot of the points in the video. Everything really, with the sole exception of the death penalty. I have mixed feelings of that.

It does serve a purpose, which is making sure that not everyone can reach level 100, because if you die too often, you reach your limit at some point, where you lose more XP than you gain. However, there are plenty of ways to bypass this, by avoiding challenging content or even just joining beach head / breachstone runs and thus never risking death. Perhaps that defeats the purpose of the death penalty, and perhaps we actually would be better off without.

I also agree on the group play. It is completely broken. Noone likes playing in a group. Everyone only groups up to complete some goal, like carry services, rotas, xp leech etc. It's not fun. But as long as the current speed clear meta and "blow up the whole screen with particle effects in an instant" are the norm, it cannot get any better. Good and fun group gameplay would need the entire design direction of PoE to take a u-turn first. Which is never going to happen, the past years have made that clear.

Another few very good points you make:

"
If logging out of the game is a way to avoid death, the death penalty isn't punishing death, it's punishing not logging out of the game

Couldn't agree more. To me, this is also the single most ridiculous thing that I've seen in PoE, and I will never take hardcore leagues seriously as long as it exists.

"
Movement skills should not be replacements for running, they should be situational tools

YES

Finally someone that gets it. I've hated the movement skill spam from the moment it began, though I must confess having participated in it too, because when it's significantly faster you start to feel forced to use it after a while. But it has always been ridiculous.
Thanks for the video, I ended up agreeing to many points you raised. We probably do not resonate in the death penalty department, but hey, I had an open mind and listened to the arguments presented.
And the voice is pleasant to hear, even to non-native speakers like me.

The big questionmark, however, is - can it make any impact?
"
aldorus wrote:
Thanks for the video, I ended up agreeing to many points you raised. We probably do not resonate in the death penalty department, but hey, I had an open mind and listened to the arguments presented.
And the voice is pleasant to hear, even to non-native speakers like me.

The big questionmark, however, is - can it make any impact?
No way of knowing.
Good video, I agree with many of your points, especially on "limitations". One type of build should not be able to excel at every aspect of the game. Every playstyle should have pros and cons or else theorycrafting suffers and that's one of the main features of PoE.

The content is there, atlas (with better difficulty curve) and delve (if implemented properly) are more than enough. The issue is for ggg to find a way to change the game every league in a horizontal way instead of vertical. There's no need for new skills every time, new gear mods that trivialize the toughest bosses in game, new bosses that are harder, new nerfs and on and on.

The problem is that the gear/class/skill system is in such a state, that ggg has to hit the reset button and make some brave decisions and that's something that most likely will not happen.

What I suggested in another topic, is lessen the amount of skills, have only 1 skill for a certain mechanic (like frontal cone AoE, shooting arrows that fall to the ground, bolts etc.) and enable skill gem crafting with each mod giving pros and cons, so a player can adjust his favorite mechanic for bosses, clearing, direct damage, ailment, conversions etc.
All you say gets completely invalidated once you mention how the death penalty is a negative.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
All you say gets completely invalidated once you mention how the death penalty is a negative.

Wow, way to be closed-minded. I'm not sure I agree with that part either, but that changes nothing about the (very good) arguments made throughout the rest of the video.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info