Path of Exile, Gameplay Criticism

"
"
鬼殺し wrote:
^Forgot to hide his characters tab before posting this.

Nope, everything is right where I said it was. Are you looking at my non vile bastion occutist? Or my new witch that I am building as a tank for the funzies. Or my dozen or so dead hc chars that I converted to standard.

Gud try tho!

It's the way this forum works. If you say something someone disagrees with, they attack. I think it is why GGG doesn't bother posting here.
Lulz berserker is your metric for doing well? Sorry to burst your bubble, but beserker isn't even the hardest class.

My main is a dual strike poison trickster wearing dendrobate where I solo'd uber lab.

From what I gathered, you can't even play shadow melee. Ha. Git gud. And by the way, I used to delete my old HC chars when I was a SSF wanker. Made it to 94.

The rest of my classes are like non-toxic rain archer witch, assassin witch, tank witch, and dual wielding rangers.

All I am saying is if you think the game is too easy, play a harder class. Having homogonized skills and classes that everyone can excel at is what makes diablo bad.
Last edited by PathxofxDante on Jan 15, 2019, 9:52:31 PM
Nice video... excellently presented.

Unfortunately...

Nothing will change.

NS
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Lulz berserker is your metric for doing well?

My main is a dual strike poison trickster wearing dendrobate.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but beserker isn't even the hardest class. I don't play SSF anymore, but I did hit 94 hc ssf.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/nooooodles/achievements

Eternal: not achieved
Immortal: not achieved

So on which account did you hit 94 HC SSF? Just curious. I'd like to see those characters please, if we're going to discuss them.

Spoiler
"

All I am saying is if you think the game is too easy, play a harder class. Having homogonized skills and classes that everyone can excel at is what makes diablo bad.

Yeah, the OP was definitely not saying the game is too easy, so who exactly are you refuting with that one?

Achievements changed from 2.5-3.0 when I was a hc ssf wanker. As a hc player since d2, me and my friends deleted our HC chars. Still have video footage and screenshots. Started playing standard recently actually, then this is my first non-hc league participation.

His video implies the game is too easy with face rolling builds and is the only way to play. Seems you are projecting an awful lot for someone who can't even play a melee assassin ^_^
Last edited by PathxofxDante on Jan 15, 2019, 10:02:22 PM
"
Clean presentation, but I see this a lot with creatives- I would call your video a well polished turd. Has all the makings of something great, but is still a turd lacking any substance or experience.

1. Facerolling - If you want to play an easy character, play an easy character. I play hard classes that take skill, and am glad the noob facerollers can't play at my level.

2. Frustrating unpredictable oneshots are actually quite predictable once you get to a high enough level to be able to manually dodge in melee classes. Again, this take skill. The name of the game is skill based progression. 99% of the oneshots are telegraphed.

3. Evasion is for high skill players. It isn't meant to tank hits, it allows you to jump in and out of combat. You are a ninja with evasion, don't get hit. If you have a problem with that, play an easier class that doesn't require you to manually dodge hits. Homogenizing everything so everyone can excel at every playstyle is what makes Diablo 3 so bad.

4. The dealth penalty and difficulty is one of the features that makes PoE stand out in a sea of bland arpg. Every other RPG you can just throw you body at challenges, over and over until you eventually make it to the top. In PoE you can only throw your body up to a certain point, then the game takes off the training wheels and you are forced to grow as a player.

5. You start to ramble when you get to "challenge bad", if you come into a game with a modular build system and can only play starter builds then the problem is you. Take off the training wheels and give it another shot. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The masses enjoy a challenge, just look at Dark Souls.

TLDR: Mad cuz bad and made a polished turd. Nice polished turd, but about six mins too long even for a polished turd.

I appreciate your response, and I understand your frustration, but:

You've made a lot of assumptions about my motives, which are irrelevant to the discussion even if they were true. If you want, fine, assume that I'm a softcore noob, born yesterday who only wants to serve his own interests, and we'll assume that you have four hundred hardcore characters at level 100 so we can get past the subject. You win.

Now, if you don't mind, I have my own assumption: I think you take a lot of pride in your accomplishments in POE, and you stopped really listening once it sounded like I was attacking those accomplishments.

I'm sorry if you felt like I was coming after you.

However, saying things like "you're mad" and "you're inexperienced" and "nice polished turd" aren't necessary if you have a strong argument.

I actually agree with every concern you had, either on a "should be that way" or "is that way" basis.

I am not your enemy. Please, let's not turn this into an authority contest.

What problems do you see with the game that you would have covered?
"

I appreciate your response, and I understand your frustration, but:

You've made a lot of assumptions about my motives, which are irrelevant to the discussion even if they were true. If you want, fine, assume that I'm a softcore noob, born yesterday who only wants to serve his own interests, and we'll assume that you have four hundred hardcore characters at level 100 so we can get past the subject. You win.

Now, if you don't mind, I have my own assumption: I think you take a lot of pride in your accomplishments in POE, and you stopped really listening once it sounded like I was attacking those accomplishments.

I'm sorry if you felt like I was coming after you.

However, saying things like "you're mad" and "you're inexperienced" and "nice polished turd" aren't necessary if you have a strong argument.

I actually agree with every concern you had, either on a "should be that way" or "is that way" basis.

I am not your enemy. Please, let's not turn this into an authority contest.

What problems do you see with the game that you would have covered?

Sorry, I could have done without the insulting tone. My mistake. It's hard because half the players respond better to these tones, and we get these posts everytime someone gets stuck around 90 so it is easy to go overboard with the condescension.

Last edited by PathxofxDante on Jan 15, 2019, 10:19:03 PM
With game balance this far out of wack there really is only one option.

Endless dungeons with scaled difficulty ( Delve ). It is far easier to balance when you have a 5000 level content pool then it is when you only have 16 ( maps ).

With a huge content pool ( 5000+ levels ) everyone easily gets to play at levels that they find challenging. This played out well during the delve league.

Also with large content/level pools difficulty scales better making for a better gaming experience for everyone.

The current league is an unbalanced cluster fuck. Static one size fits all content layered over the top of unbalanced maps.

I cannot see GGG continuing this kind of a balancing disaster for much longer... Something has to give.

NS
"
鬼殺し wrote:

As for why GGG doesn't bother posting here (here being feedback/suggestions specifically), that is something else altogether. If you're interested I can explain, because I know why. But only if you're interested and aren't just throwing that one out there like a rancid bone to be chewed on by the rabid locals. ^_^

I am always more than happy to learn.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Commenting as I listen.

You clearly worked very hard on the narration of this, and I appreciate that. Far too many videos that make good points are narrated by people who make precisely zero effort to be coherent and clear. Kudos.

Not sure I agree it's the greatest game of all time for *anything*, but I guess 'theory crafting' would be up there.

Good call with the Rube Goldberg machine. Very good call. I suspect TencentGGG are going to think very carefully about this machine and its endgoal in the coming year.

Rate War. Nice term for the powercreep on both sides. And you've identified really well the tail-chasing TencentGGG are caught in with 'balancing' the game. As Carl himself infamously said, 'balance is a moving target'. True, so why use spears to hunt it instead of, oh, I dunno, traps?

When you're complaining about being unable to see the game, it seems your contrast is *way* too high. Doesn't really change the point, just an observation.

Uhoh, more hyperbole stemming from 'the most ___ thing I've seen in my entire life'. You should avoid that. you've got enough going for you without needing to resort to it.

Yes, you completely nailed it with how the death xp means nothing right after you level. I've discussed this with the devs on numerous occasions, specifically Chris. All it does is force really boring, predictable exp grind before you level, and after, THEN you play like you actually want to, possibly even enjoying the game briefly until you get too much experience into that next level and don't want to die again. And then you're back to the boring old grind.

You are also dead right that they implemented this poorly. Even D2, *Even D2*, had a way to get experience back post-death beyond just playing via corpse runs.

Item durability existed in early testing. What do you think Armourer's Scraps and Blacksmith Whetstones originally did? ;) Amusingly, durability didn't test well so we didn't get it. Apparently a death penalty that has absolutely no purpose other than corral players into repetitive habits and narrow the viable scope of 'builds' at the upper end tested just fine.

Disagree with your death npc quest stuff. Too involved for something much easier to solve. People would just bitch about the hoop-jumping.

DEAD right on the cast-when supports. They were such a shitty addition poorly thought-out and changed everything. I love the idea of hybrid play so *condtionally, well balanced* trigger gems are fine. Where we are now? It's a joke.

Anyway, since I gave your 13 minute video a full go, do me a favour and reciprocate by giving my own rant on a lot of this stuff a read. Try not to despair at the post date.

Thank you for the excellent feedback. My criticisms of myself line up pretty well with the ones you made. A thirteen minute video is already pretty long, and I have to deal with a ton of regrets no matter what in trimming it down to that size (if you can believe that).

Your linked post is locked (I think), otherwise I would have commented in much more detail (but this thread is about ME ME ME). I agree 100% with your elegant assessment of the descent into AOE that POE has undergone. Your "beast" analogy perfectly sums up the mental state of the archetypical player. I think we see eye to eye on the need for a greater diversity of play styles, which means putting a lid on the out of control AOE creep situation. I think this will inevitably (and desirably) lead to greater incentive to specialize and a higher quality of group play.
"

Oh, I didn't know that. First time I've heard of it, in fact. Yes, I'd like to see the video footage please. Take your time digging it up if you have to. :)

I think you're misreading the video rather than me projecting. There's a world between 'too easy' and 'easy to fall into the meta like everyone else'. I believe he's saying the game in fact too hard if you don't play that meta. So perhaps we are talking across each other here than anything directly opposed.

Not sure what you mean by 'can't even play a melee assassin'. I've never really tried to take one particularly high, but I did get a self-cast Trickster to 89 at some point then just got really fucking bored. Shadows are my thing and always have been. They're pretty much all I play, because I believe across the three ascendancies the Shadow has an insane amount of flexibility. Either way, I'm not projecting, merely interpreting the video, and I certainly can't 'not play a melee assassin' (depending on the level at which you've decided I'm actually 'playing', which is arbitrary and not worth discussing here), so let's just put that one to bed now. Phew, that was tiring.

Looking forward to the video/s.

Dunno why my older achievements aren't showing. According to my achievements some of my characters shouldn't exist from earlier leagues. Must be something to do with me playing on Steam, then the client.

And I decided not to share the videos, my beard was... atrocious. My experience over four years allowed me to take uber lab as a melee poison trickter. That's enough for me, far from facerolling builds as well.

Furthermore, I admit my tone was a bit rude. Was a long toxic weekend in global 1.

My point still stands tho, playing an easy steamrolling build is not required, you can play builds as hard as you can come up with.

Have a good day, bud ^_^
Last edited by PathxofxDante on Jan 15, 2019, 11:02:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info