Path of Exile, Gameplay Criticism

Im good with the xp loss on death. Not so much as a "I want mah games hardcore" kind of approach, although that is also nice, but to make me not sleep :P

I mean, sitting there grinding for hours without a penalty makes me care very little, at which point 2hrs in and my brain shuts down and next thing you know Im sleeping on my desk.

Aspects to keep the combat interesting and interactive are very welcome imo. To make you feel that hey, you need to actually be doing something right to keep going forward.

Having that said, I think adjustments are needed.

1) Maps having 6 portals only. Im cool with this, but think it would be a nice option to be able to use multiple maps to extent the amount of portals. There are 4 slots there for the "combined" maps. Why not use them to also put more than one of the same map to give more portals to it (for content completion purposes that might have a certain amount of deaths).

I'm thinking something along the lines of +2 portals per extra map, so 4 maps in the end will be +6 hence 12 total instead of 24.

Dying something from silly things makes it annoying, especially for party maps.

edit- for maps with souls also this can mean that you can only add a max of +2 portals since the vial holds up space for another 2. Making certain maps (and combined maps) still harder with only 8 portals or 6, etc...

2) Reflection should work as a percentage to your health and your damage. Getting one shot all of a sudden is annoying and on the contrary is not an issue with "glass canon" builds only. Ive had a tank (ish) of mine die because my damage was too high.

Its a much less common encounter though of late tbh, so Im guessing they have made changes?

3) Decrease how much XP is lost upon consecutive deaths on the same spot/area. Ok, we got the point, we died. But, if we want to go forward for whatever reason (completion, etc) and need to do it one way or another, losing like even 50% xp on a map to kill said boss is down-right stupid.

Keep the penalty of not "playing right" there, decrease how much it occurs in certain ways. Even worse is losing a full hr xp grind because the server lag spiked... Putting in place a threshold of how much xp can be lost total in a single instance can fix this. Make it 30% or something. More than that becomes silly.

Steps imo to keep the game interesting, but not go down the "we are hardcore yo for the sake of being hardcore" path alone, which ultimately gets in the way of enjoying the game. Something of both is much needed imo. Game imo doesnt have to be as punishing as it is, and not as "free" as Diablo 3 is either, which pretty much just hands things to you for showing up :P
Last edited by HazaRdReborN on Sep 30, 2019, 7:09:02 AM
"
Fruz wrote:

Let me guess ... that was on a different account, right ?

Lost the ability to access my E-mail and nearly all my login-informations for stuff when moving back then.
WoW account gone.
Tibia account gone.
My savings account with a lovely 2000€ on it gone.
School contacts.

Yeah, as said, never touched it since then again, maybe I'll bother later this week to go along and do it then again since it bothers you so much.

"
Fruz wrote:

You realize that the significant time increase by running t11 is a risk by itself, right ?
You realize that t11 can also kill you, only if you spend 3 times more time in there, you have 3 times the time to get killed, even if things hit "softer".

That's a very viable concern there, absolutely true.
It's just far more unlikely to get a 1-shot in general in lower content, that's usually enough to at least survive. Usually.
There's always a risk in PoE even if you're taking it 'safe'... and that's another cause for concern.

"
Fruz wrote:

And according to you, I bet streamers and other top players are always lucky, I bet you believe that they have favorable drop rates too, huh ?

Umh... you realize there's also quite a lot of 'bad' HC players out there streaming?
And... obviously some streamers are under the top-tier category? That's why some people watch them regularly and that's why some of them can even afford to do it as an actual full-time job?
Playing the game is for some literally... a job. You can't ever expect anyone who has a job (other then streaming) to achieve the same amount of experience they have.
How many hours does Zizaran stream per year? I think it was 4000... 5000? Something like that? 99% of people don't even have that on their combined Steam-games. Obviously he'll be a shit-ton better then your common-joe... and even many 'good' players. Sheer amount of experience and repetition.
GGG balance is like getting a pizza which is burnt on the sides, raw in the middle and misses the most of the toppings.
Then upon sending it back you get a raw side, burnt middle and enough toppings to drench everything in grease.
Everything fixed but still broken.
Last edited by Kulze on Sep 30, 2019, 7:07:52 AM
"
Kulze wrote:

There's always a risk in PoE even if you're taking it 'safe'... and that's another cause for concern.

I personally think that is great, it's like ... one of the only good thing that could be partly attributed to damage spike (although it could be a thing without those spikes imo).

"
Kulze wrote:

Umh... you realize there's also quite a lot of 'bad' HC players out there streaming?
And... obviously some streamers are under the top-tier category?

Of course, and even worse, way worse SC ones (actually I don't have much knowledge about such streamers, I guess they are not popular, but I have seen some pretty /facepalm worthy SC youtube video of streamers that seemed to think that they were good lol)

"
Kulze wrote:
Playing the game is for some literally... a job. You can't ever expect anyone who has a job (other then streaming) to achieve the same amount of experience they have.

I do not, and never will.

But the fact that reaching lvl 100 HC by running HC content on a "leaguely" basis is enough of a proof that it isn't just sheer luck and that you don't just get killed out of the blue, by something outside of your control.

Which does not mean that there are no overtuned things of course, Legion seemed pretty bad regarding HC, I experienced it for the first time this league (and did not enjoy it of course).

Spoiler
"
Kulze wrote:

Lost the ability to access my E-mail and nearly all my login-informations for stuff when moving back then.
WoW account gone.
Tibia account gone.
My savings account with a lovely 2000€ on it gone.
School contacts.

Yeah, as said, never touched it since then again, maybe I'll bother later this week to go along and do it then again since it bothers you so much.

rip then, you know you should have specified something like that when saying that you did play HC in the past though.
Still, that must feel pretty terrible

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
While I didn't personally play hardcore (I created a few characters, but never pushed to endgame), looking at the hardcore ladders doesn't incline me to believe that the successuful hardcore players are a good benchmark.
I mean, as soon as you get a little far from the top, it starts looking like a graveyard.
It seems to me that super-players are being compared to normal players, a little like if you were asking a normal player to have results comparable to a speedrunner on Super Mario. There are hundreds of players completing the game in less than 10 minutes. Why can't you?
We have great potential for build diversity in PoE, but currently it all boils down to what color we fill the screen with as we indiscriminately sprint through the game, spamming one ability (or zero abilities like in this league) starting as early as level 2. This is more befitting of an idle game than an ARPG.

Does every player do this? No. But it seems to be what the average player is pressured to emulate. We have the worst state of face-rolling that I've ever seen in any game, which is especially depressing considering there is no shortage of "face-rolling" games to pick from. PoE used to stand out in a good way.

We have a full reversal of what it used to mean to be casual and elite.

Nothing should be off the table as a solution.

"
Khalixxa wrote:
We have great potential for build diversity in PoE, but currently it all boils down to what color we fill the screen with as we indiscriminately sprint through the game, spamming one ability (or zero abilities like in this league) starting as early as level 2. This is more befitting of an idle game than an ARPG.

Does every player do this? No. But it seems to be what the average player is pressured to emulate. We have the worst state of face-rolling that I've ever seen in any game, which is especially depressing considering there is no shortage of "face-rolling" games to pick from. PoE used to stand out in a good way.

Nothing should be off the table as a solution.

I take my hat off to you for trying so hard to educate people about these fundamental, distilled descriptions of design problems which persist in this game.

Meanwhile, all these children want to spit in your face for having the sheer audacity to point out the issues in the first place.

It's no wonder GGG devs would rather spend their time on reddit: The echo chamber environment there ensures that GGG dev egos are stroked rather than challenged.

I hate to present as the stereotypical bitter old-timer, but the proof is in the pudding in this case: Look at GGG's actual response to these kinds of criticisms.

As such, I expect the problems will only get worse in the future, but I would utterly adore GGG for proving me wrong on that.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
While I didn't personally play hardcore (I created a few characters, but never pushed to endgame), looking at the hardcore ladders doesn't incline me to believe that the successuful hardcore players are a good benchmark.
I mean, as soon as you get a little far from the top, it starts looking like a graveyard.
It seems to me that super-players are being compared to normal players, a little like if you were asking a normal player to have results comparable to a speedrunner on Super Mario. There are hundreds of players completing the game in less than 10 minutes. Why can't you?

The point of HC is not to never die, the game is supposed to try to kill your character.

Of course dead characters 'pile up' before level 100 when the xp gain start being very slow, people usually stop playing after their reach lvl 100, so ...

'normal' players aren't all supposed to play HC, it's okay to die once in a while in SC, all those ripped character in the HC ladder only died once, and not all are streamer or incredible players either.

"
Khalixxa wrote:

As much as this is a gross exaggeration (really), I cannot disagree with the post overall.

"
gibbousmoon wrote:

As such, I expect the problems will only get worse in the future, but I would utterly adore GGG for proving me wrong on that.

Welcome on the negativity train !
Well, as long as it makes some fun there is still some meaning playing this game, but seeing it change for the worse is sad ...

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
I take my hat off to you for trying so hard to educate people about these fundamental, distilled descriptions of design problems which persist in this game.

Thank you, very much. I'm honored that you all have chosen to respond. Truly.

"
gibbousmoon wrote:
Meanwhile, all these children want to spit in your face for having the sheer audacity to point out the issues in the first place.

It's hard to tell sometimes, but the ones that want to spit in your face are loud but not very numerous (or convincing). A lot of times though, they succeed in derailing the conversation.

"
gibbousmoon wrote:
It's no wonder GGG devs would rather spend their time on reddit: The echo chamber environment there ensures that GGG dev egos are stroked rather than challenged.

I hate to present as the stereotypical bitter old-timer, but the proof is in the pudding in this case: Look at GGG's actual response to these kinds of criticisms.

Pretty much every game feels growing pressure to appeal to the "average" player demographic eventually. This leaves the "average" player with more choices than they really need, game wise. Fortunately, GGG has been smart about expanding the game in ways that are very friendly to growth. I hope they reclaim their rightful niche.

"
Fruz wrote:
"
Khalixxa wrote:

As much as this is a gross exaggeration (really), I cannot disagree with the post overall.

Hey! You left out the last sentence of my quote!
Great video and all valid points.
"
Khalixxa wrote:
Hey! You left out the last sentence of my quote!

I did, because it was not a gross exaggeration to me :).
Although there are definitely things that could make the game worse if handled incorrectly, so considering all options ... sure, but it does not mean take anything as a solution of course.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info