Path of Exile, Gameplay Criticism

It changes everything. I've been thinking for some time how I'll feel if the exp penalty is gone/there is a way to recover the loss. And its not pretty. As someone who cant play HC because of persistent technical issues the removal of the nice middle ground where dying actually means something would be the single worst change GGG could do.

There is no way I'll ever support anyone who asks for a change or removal of the thing, I don't care about his other points.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
It changes everything. I've been thinking for some time how I'll feel if the exp penalty is gone/there is a way to recover the loss. And its not pretty. As someone who cant play HC because of persistent technical issues the removal of the nice middle ground where dying actually means something would be the single worst change GGG could do.

There is no way I'll ever support anyone who asks for a change or removal of the thing, I don't care about his other points.

It's already as good as removed. Everyone who's actually trying to level past 90 in Betrayal is just endlessly running pure breachstones to have zero risk of ever dying. The only ones who are still hurt by the penalty are new players.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
All you say gets completely invalidated once you mention how the death penalty is a negative.

I tried very hard (and failed) to prevent people from thinking this is what I meant. I did point out negative aspects of death penalty, but I also pointed out negative aspects about the other topics and did not mean to imply that they are entirely negative or that they should be removed cold turkey.

I was analyzing the consequences of favoring each of the problems, and how they sustain and feed back into one another. There was no way to do this without including the problems with the death penalty.

"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Nowhere did I suggest removing all penalties for death. I did suggest some changes, but all of them were aimed at allowing the game to get more mechanically challenging. This is an aspect of this discussion that barely gets touched.

There are some links mentioned in the video description, the second of which is to my presentation about penalties in games. It's another 11 minutes long, and it's more rigorous, but it addresses more generally the uses and misuses of penalties in games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3XIzHGUnVE

I cover three purposes of penalties: challenge, conditioning and thrill.
I d like to touch on death penalty issue in poe.
I think it does not needs a fix because:
as you level higher and higher (mostly 90+) gaining experience becomes a harder. therefore when you lose 10% you dont actually lose the same amount of experience you have lost in your previous levels.
I understand this 10% punishment can be quite high for some players but i see it as a gateway that tests your character's limits. Because of these limitations i pushed my last build to its final form and it became perfectly balanced as an offensive and defensive characer.
This might be just me but nerfing exp. penalty would only make things easier imo.
I dont think it would effect how players view the current death penalty.

I am reading some players twisting op's points but i think he has some points that are worth a second thought. I just happen to disagree with them.
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
Last edited by MrsDeath_ on Jan 16, 2019, 3:23:29 PM
"
Khalixxa wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
All you say gets completely invalidated once you mention how the death penalty is a negative.

I tried very hard (and failed) to prevent people from thinking this is what I meant. I did point out negative aspects of death penalty, but I also pointed out negative aspects about the other topics and did not mean to imply that they are entirely negative or that they should be removed cold turkey.

I was analyzing the consequences of favoring each of the problems, and how they sustain and feed back into one another. There was no way to do this without including the problems with the death penalty.

Yay, I had no troubles understanding what you were implying in the video regarding the death penalty (I think you showed how the dots are connected), but then again I am not a religious person like these guys.

Death penalty is a topic you don't want to touch with goonies around. It is a sacrilege to them.

However, what I think was far more important which you brought up in your video was how one-shotty PoE is and why it 'must' be so.
Last edited by vmt80 on Jan 16, 2019, 3:29:27 PM
i think it's funny that seemingly 90% of these threads can be summed into:

use defenses or complain on forum, instead.

[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
"
Miathan51 wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

It's already as good as removed. Everyone who's actually trying to level past 90 in Betrayal is just endlessly running pure breachstones to have zero risk of ever dying. The only ones who are still hurt by the penalty are new players.

And this will change for the next league the same way beachhead changed.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
"
Miathan51 wrote:

And this will change for the next league the same way beachhead changed.

I think that the point is that players just look for ways to cheat the death penalty, rather than trying to improve their skill, going for the most effective entirely secure grinding area, rather than complex fights.
Hell, many of the pro-penalty players suggest to simply stop trying to level up, which is essentially saying that the penalty is fine when it has no effect on you.
The goal is to have a penalty that is effective for pushing to learn (also for act bosses, not just for high-level), rather than deterring from attempting any challenges.
I don't think GGG can spend the time to make this dream penalty which can satisfy everyone. As long as you are afraid of dying its a good one.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
I don't think GGG can spend the time to make this dream penalty which can satisfy everyone.

GGG have shown repeatedly that they can spend time to redo any old system. This would be far less complex and time consuming than many other things they've already done.

"
Johny_Snow wrote:
As long as you are afraid of dying its a good one.

Imagine the following:

When you die, all your gear is deleted and you lose 15 levels.

By your logic, this is a good penalty.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info