[3.7] Ice Spear Miner - Fun & Fast Machine Gun Simulator, Great League Starter

There is a section of the guide dedicated to this topic under the Leveling Information and Gem Setup sub-section. It can be a bit of a challenge to get the right colors, but the tips in that section should make your life easier.
IGN: LepreTuggler
Last edited by LepreConMan on Mar 16, 2019, 7:20:06 AM
Does anyone tries 6-7 link helm instead of tremor rod? Is it better or worse?
Hi there, first I would like to commend you on the excellent writing of this guide. The ideas are very nicely thought out and the simulations you ran fed my nerd side as well :)

I mostly play miners and this has caught my attention a while ago. This league I started out as arc, and found it lacking. Switching to GC and while ok, still had the clear issues. Then I decided to try out a fireball/ice spear miner after checking a few chars on PoE ninja.

You are correct in the sense that fireball and ice spear arent the same element and sound not very synergistic. However, you can still scale both of them thru elemetal, spell and mine damages which is enough. Fireball is only used for clear anyway. I am currently using your build guide, plus a fireball setup in the helm.

I would like to suggest to try out a fireball setup with Fireball/GMP/Fork/TnM Dmg in a shaped +1 mine helm (Bonus Inc AoE support). I also opted for 2x RoLling Flames Treshold jewel, and the clear is amazing, better than any miner I have played to date (Havent tried the old KB miner before it was nerfed). Still focus on Ice spear dmg for the single target.

Hopefully this idea can add a bit to the already amazing guide and inspire some new ideas around the build.
"
alpish wrote:
Hi there, first I would like to commend you on the excellent writing of this guide. The ideas are very nicely thought out and the simulations you ran fed my nerd side as well :)

I mostly play miners and this has caught my attention a while ago. This league I started out as arc, and found it lacking. Switching to GC and while ok, still had the clear issues. Then I decided to try out a fireball/ice spear miner after checking a few chars on PoE ninja.

You are correct in the sense that fireball and ice spear arent the same element and sound not very synergistic. However, you can still scale both of them thru elemetal, spell and mine damages which is enough. Fireball is only used for clear anyway. I am currently using your build guide, plus a fireball setup in the helm.

I would like to suggest to try out a fireball setup with Fireball/GMP/Fork/TnM Dmg in a shaped +1 mine helm (Bonus Inc AoE support). I also opted for 2x RoLling Flames Treshold jewel, and the clear is amazing, better than any miner I have played to date (Havent tried the old KB miner before it was nerfed). Still focus on Ice spear dmg for the single target.

Hopefully this idea can add a bit to the already amazing guide and inspire some new ideas around the build.

I would try playing around with a frostbolt setup, with 2 Frozen Trail jewels. the clear speed is insane, sometimes clearing up to two screens, esp. if you socket in GMP or Minefield. i used this before i started focusing on just using a pure Ice Spear setup, and was incredibly satisfied. Frostbolt also scales beautifully off the same gems we use in the Ice Spear set up.

update since complaining about socket colors: GGG heard me and i got perfect colors on a 5L Tremor Rod, and then 6 linked another one i had traded previously, off just 16 fusings. now i just need to get the colors right on that one :D however, with the 5L, i am absolutely breezing through content. just need to get final lab. i cannot wait to finish the main tree, and put in good jewels. i've got 2 open slots.

this build is amazing. my damage was quite laughable with the badly colored Tremor Rod. once i got the right colors, my character just snowballed. it does really shine with the 5L Tremor Rod + the other uniques. its like playing a shooter in PoE. such a fun playstyle. THANK YOU!
Last edited by biscuitpantsguy on Mar 18, 2019, 4:48:10 AM
Really glad you guys are enjoying the build and exploring different gem setups. I've played a few different miners and they had always felt a bit clunky and slow. Tremor Rod really changes the play style and makes it feel more like you're casting the skills yourself.

I'm currently playing in a private league with my guild for 3.6 and re-rolled another Ice Spear miner as my second character after acquiring most of the gear needed. I'll be posting updates once again this league as I explore the viability of this build in a semi-SSF environment. So far everything is going very well though!

"

Last edited by LepreConMan on Mar 18, 2019, 9:06:53 AM
Killed uber elder yesterday deathless. Pretty much insta phased him. Build is completely sick.
Awesome, I'm glad you're enjoying the build. I was a bit surprised that they ended up buffing Ice Spear damage in the skill re-balance; when all of your buffs are up, the damage is just silly.
I've been playing with the build for a few weeks and I must say that it is the most balanced I've seen so far. The defence (endgame 50% damage goes through mana, over 600hp regen after mine triggers, ~500mana/s, + ~700es) is pretty "tanky" and the damage with the flasks just annihiliates single targets and other unlucky mobs. Even though running with just little over 3k life atm. because of the perks I just mentioned can easily clear highest map tiers and other endgame content.

Build is also very cost effective and easy to start with little to none currency. I was actually already ahead of my friends in dmg and defence after clearing all the acts even though they had higher levels and spent a few exalts in their gear.

Playstyle is really addictive even though this is my first miner and been little skeptic how I like the playstyle. This is one of the few characters I've played over lvl90.

The only downside I can really think of is that it seems like when running in parties the Ice spear can cause a little stuttering occasionally. This is pretty usual in poe with builds that has many ailments/projectiles etc. and it's no problem when the mobs just melt away. Just wanted to give heads-up for some (and before someone comments I'm running pretty much the best PC setup money can buy).

I just wanted to make a little summary of my experiences and thank @LepreConMan personally for this awesome build! This is way better than many superpopular ones that I've played and been really enjoying it(The feeling when all your friends with top end builds just admires your dps :D). At least there's the benefit of not getting nerfed so easily when the build doesn't get too much attention ;) I continue my journies with the setup and keep eyeballing the forum if Lepre gets a new upgrade ideas for the build! Cya and let the Ice Spears impale those mobs!
Last edited by Samexi on Mar 20, 2019, 3:25:35 AM
"
Samexi wrote:
I've been playing with the build for a few weeks and I must say that it is the most balanced I've seen so far. The defence (endgame 50% damage goes through mana, over 600hp regen after mine triggers, ~500mana/s, + ~700es) is pretty "tanky" and the damage with the flasks just annihiliates single targets and other unlucky mobs. Even though running with just little over 3k life atm. because of the perks I just mentioned can easily clear highest map tiers and other endgame content.

Build is also very cost effective and easy to start with little to none currency. I was actually already ahead of my friends in dmg and defence after clearing all the acts even though they had higher levels and spent a few exalts in their gear.

Playstyle is really addictive even though this is my first miner and been little skeptic how I like the playstyle. This is one of the few characters I've played over lvl90.

The only downside I can really think of is that it seems like when running in parties the Ice spear can cause a little stuttering occasionally. This is pretty usual in poe with builds that has many ailments/projectiles etc. and it's no problem when the mobs just melt away. Just wanted to give heads-up for some (and before someone comments I'm running pretty much the best PC setup money can buy).

I just wanted to make a little summary of my experiences and thank @LepreConMan personally for this awesome build! This is way better than many superpopular ones that I've played and been really enjoying it(The feeling when all your friends with top end builds just admires your dps :D). At least there's the benefit of not getting nerfed so easily when the build doesn't get too much attention ;) I continue my journies with the setup and keep eyeballing the forum if Lepre gets a new upgrade ideas for the build! Cya and let the Ice Spears impale those mobs!

i think a lot of the stuterring comes from detonations too. we're constantly spamming `D` or whatever you bind detonate to (unless you use a totem to detonate). this is sending hundreds of actions to the server instance per second, plus all the other party members and projectiles.
i've played on a 3G connection, and if i spam detonate, then i get really bad spikes. but if i detonate every now and then the gameplay is smooth. could also just be pure coincidence!
is it possible to see your effective DPS, based on all projectiles hitting the target, in Path of Building?

edit: nevermind, a google showed you cannot really (issue on PoB github)

i wrote some code to figure it out (naively) so i'm okay without it :)

does anyone have an example of this build with expensive gear? something like 10/20ex+ invested?
Last edited by biscuitpantsguy on Mar 20, 2019, 8:33:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info