General Gem Discussion

Double strike/faster attacks should be red melee gems... or at least make them so less Dex required and a little bit of str.. i have 400 str but not much dex i cant use double strike/faster attacks at a decebnt lvl and im a PURE MELEE BUILD its crazy....
Last edited by Sacada66 on Mar 22, 2013, 1:29:03 AM
Strength is about hitting very hard. Punch 'em with Fire and make 'em burn some more.
Dex relies on being faster than your opponent; make yourself faster or the opponent slower.
Int hits smarter, not harder: Shock stacks, Crits, that kind of stuff.

Double Strike hits often, but not for an impressive amount of damage. Faster Attacks, well... Makes you faster. They're purely Dex-aligned, and the stat requirements reflect that.

The bonus from leveling Double Strike isn't a very big difference anyways, especially with 400 Strength *shrug*
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 22, 2013, 6:05:12 AM
Why are FP and EK so much more powerful than all the other spells?

Do they plan on tweaking any of this?
Last edited by boohead on Mar 24, 2013, 2:15:14 PM
There are much more useless gems than good ones. Gotta buff the weak ones up significantly.
"
crpcookie wrote:
There are much more useless gems than good ones. Gotta buff the weak ones up significantly.
Agreed and IMO this is far more important than adding new skills.
Dual-wield users need more skills.

Currently the game almost screams "use shield+one handed or 2-handed weapon!"

What skills do we currently have that deal area of effect damage:

1) Whirling Blades - mostly for escaping or fast movement in general, the overall damage is too low to be a primary skill
2) Cyclone - new skill which does not benefit from dual-wielding, and again best used with either shield+one handed or 2-handed weapon
3) Cleave - the only good dual-wielding skill, however it only works with swords and axes

So pretty much the only viable dual-wielding option in the whole game is using Cleave with swords or axes.
Dual-wielding claws, daggers or maces is completely pointless as you won't have any skills to deal area damage, which is what you want most of the time.

Basically what I am saying is that the game needs new skills which are:
1) Only usable when dual-wielding
2) Usable with claws, maces, daggers (well not all at he same time, one weapon type per one skill maybe)
3) Have the damage comparable to existing skills that deal area of effect damage like Cleave / Ground Slam
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on Apr 2, 2013, 2:20:36 AM
dual strike, it exists already. lets wait for the support that gives single target skills AoE properties.
Can we have threads for monster only skills?

Quite a lot of the questions here are related to the effect of support gems, item mods, auras and passives on given skills. All of these things are relevant with summoned spectres.

Edit: Or just one thread called "Monster Skills" would do
Brutus. Do you even sync?
Last edited by AnnanFay on Apr 6, 2013, 3:40:30 AM
"
Dual-wield users need more skills.

Currently the game almost screams "use shield+one handed or 2-handed weapon!"

What skills do we currently have that deal area of effect damage:

1) Whirling Blades - mostly for escaping or fast movement in general, the overall damage is too low to be a primary skill
2) Cyclone - new skill which does not benefit from dual-wielding, and again best used with either shield+one handed or 2-handed weapon
3) Cleave - the only good dual-wielding skill, however it only works with swords and axes

So pretty much the only viable dual-wielding option in the whole game is using Cleave with swords or axes.
Dual-wielding claws, daggers or maces is completely pointless as you won't have any skills to deal area damage, which is what you want most of the time.

Basically what I am saying is that the game needs new skills which are:
1) Only usable when dual-wielding
2) Usable with claws, maces, daggers (well not all at he same time, one weapon type per one skill maybe)
3) Have the damage comparable to existing skills that deal area of effect damage like Cleave / Ground Slam
What I think why FP/EK are OP. This effect doesn't come from the spells it self. They are OP because projectile support gems are OP and this spells scale best with it and because the are thought as short range spells but can be easy made to long range with projectile speed. Some Maths about the support gems:

GMP grants 150% more DMG if you have 1 projectile as base and additive the %increased dmg from lvls.
without GMP: 1 time your full dmg = 100%
with GMP: 5 times 50% of your dmg is 250% of your dmg

chain does work similar it gives 50% more dmg.

lesser mutiple projectiles grants 110% more dmg.

Fork gives 110% more dmg if both forked projectiles hit what wont happen often but it has a low Mana Cost Multiplier

pierce is also extremely strong if your spell doesn't have pierce chain or fork because to hit multiple monster is more dmg so it gives you 74% more dmg if there is only 1 monster behind the first, 127% more dmg if there are 3 monsters in a row. (20% quality) and this for a Mana Cost Multiplier of 110%.

the only similar support for melee is multistrike it deals 140% more dps (it is 260% more dmg per skill). The attackspeed bonus is included, increased dmg is not. the more dmg does decrease if you have other attack speed boni and the dps may be reduced because of moving. (3 attacks with each 60% of your dmg what needs the triple time of one attack but it also grants ~+100% attack speed)

In comparison to this melee physical dmg or concentrated effect are just bad with 49% more dmg and 69% more dmg with a drawback. Melee increased dmg need a buff.

the Reason why melee is bad is this and that you can build a ranged nearly as tanky as a melee to change this i would say mana leech and life leech from items/buffs should only work with melee skills that ranged nedd to build some mana and can't leech as good as melee.

sorry for my bad English and I know there will be mistakes in my thoughts.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info