A customer yesterday came in with his pc.

"
ZocaBog wrote:
This discussion confirms my doubt. Last week my graphic card and connection between graphic card and mother board get burned down. Last thing that I was doing on my pc was playing PoE because new league started, for few hours, then i turned off my pc and next day black screen...
You would not attack person who made this discussion if something like this happened to you.

Nobody is attacking. We are however skeptical, as we should be. Your PC did not burn because of PoE. That's impossible. What is possible is that PoE has become more demanding and your PC has cooling issues.

As stated earlier, a CPU/GPU can easily work under slightly higher than 100% stress 24/7 no problem, when installed and cooled properly. Therein lies the problem in many cases, if you'll pardon the pun.

Hardware has various built-in safeguards to stop it from overheating. If despite all those it still overheats, there is more going on than just demanding software.

The issue with the highest hardware kill-count by far, is dust. Believe it or not, a thin layer of dust on a heatsink, often between the fan and heatsink, can make 15-20 degrees Celsius difference on a stressed CPU.

Also high on the list is badly applied thermal paste. As far as thermal paste goes, full, evenly spread surface area coverage is most important, but secondly, less is more. Don't use too much of it, as that will negatively impact heat conduction and therefor cooling capacity.

This is often not fully understood, but thermal paste is only there to "fill the gap" between the heatsink and CPU, two solid objects, to vastly improve the conduction of heat. Applying exactly enough to fill that gap is ideal.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Sep 20, 2018, 7:38:08 AM
Can PoE can damage your hardware ? Short answer: yes
Can you prevent it or limit damages ? Short answer yes.
Can others games can damage your hardware ? Short anser YES OF COURSE.

It's not always about optimizations, and often about users choosing settings that they don't understand, or not adapted to their hardwares, granted producers should warn users that some options are not recommended with x or y hardwares and actualy they do trought compatibility tools that you can has for free or inbuilt test, it's sadly a not enough common practice and should in my opinion.
There are none for PoE as far as i knoow, but it would be a nice start.

When a game offer you content all three months, don't expect it to be stable at any moment, it just won't happen. Never bug or issues Free.

Btw: 2 video cards in 5 years

Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Sep 20, 2018, 7:04:55 AM
A properly functioning GPU does not just burn out due to a game. They have safeguards which cause the chip to throttle itself if it heats too much. There are several possibilities for why it might have failed:
- Improper installation; if the card is not securely inserted into the PCI express slot or if there's dirt in the contacts, the increased resistance may cause the conductors to overheat.
- Overclocking; this may include deliberately circumventing the thermal safeguards of the card, allowing it to damage itself.
- Insufficient cooling; if the case is badly designed or dust has clogged the heatsink, the GPU may be generating more heat than it can dissipate. Usually this results in throttling, but in extreme cases that may not be enough.
- Faulty hardware; Any number of different hardware faults may cause the safeguards to misbehave and damage the card. If it's still under warranty you should be able to get a new one, provided you haven't modified or overclocked it.
"
Anubis2108 wrote:
So, i am working in a IT store, selling, fixing pc's and other peripherals.

Ive had several customers in my shop with a graphic card burned the last week.

Geuss what i find on their PC?

Yep path of exile.

So, i geuss i should thank you.

And it is actually quite insane how hot they have become, i rarely ever see graphic cards with that many heat stains.

Well Mr.IT Professional.. Did you also ask the customer one simple question upon realizing they play Path of Exile? Which that question would be "Do you NOT play with V-Sync Enabled? Because THATS actually whats going. Their cooking that GPU because they think MORE FPS means Better! I cant tell you how many people ive met in POE who finally invest in a decent rig or a nice video card and then one of the biggest parts of their "Upgrade" they tend to brag about is "Look how many FPS i get now... holy shit 250 FPS with this new CARD? WOW!!! Meanwhile you could cook your breakfast on that card...

And 2 months later their card is fucked and they have no idea why... Thats why. V-Sync Limits your FPS to 60 if you go beyond that you will NEVER visually see a difference but by god your video card will damn sure feel that difference.. your overworking your card to death doing that shit for literally NOTHING in return other than replacing GPUs much more often.. That GTX 760 i upgraded from last year... Buddy of mine is STILL using that card after i punished it for nearly 3 years with nothing but POE before i upgraded to my GTX1050ti and my 1050ti stays nice and cool hell cooler than the 760 ever thought of for obvious reasons but you turn v-sync off in POE that card will go into launch mode as well. and start overheating.. this isn't an issue with POE or the cards its simply an issue with people not knowing any better. That V-Sync Option is in most games its there for a reason.. use it.

There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Sep 20, 2018, 7:30:46 AM
"
Demonoz wrote:

Well Mr.IT Professional.. Did you also ask the customer one simple question upon realizing they play Path of Exile? Which that question would be "Do you NOT play with V-Sync Enabled? Because THATS actually whats going. Their cooking that GPU because they think MORE FPS means Better! I cant tell you how many people ive met in POE who finally invest in a decent rig or a nice video card and then one of the biggest parts of their "Upgrade" they tend to brag about is "Look how many FPS i get now... holy shit 250 FPS with this new CARD? WOW!!! Meanwhile you could cook your breakfast on that card...

And 2 months later their card is fucked and they have no idea why... Thats why. V-Sync Limits your FPS to 60 if you go beyond that you will NEVER visually see a difference but by god your video card will damn sure feel that difference.. your overworking your card to death doing that shit for literally NOTHING in return other than replacing GPUs much more often.. That GTX 760 i upgraded from last year... Buddy of mine is STILL using that card after i punished it for nearly 3 years with nothing but POE before i upgraded to my GTX1050ti and my 1050ti stays nice and cool hell cooler than the 760 ever thought of for obvious reasons but you turn v-sync off in POE that card will go into launch mode as well. and start overheating.. this isn't an issue with POE or the cards its simply an issue with people not knowing any better. That V-Sync Option is in most games its there for a reason.. use it.

Haha, very true.

We once ran a very old 3DMark test on a new PC without any frame limiters and around 3800 frames per second the coil whine on the card was so loud that we had to turn it off because it was painful for us to listen to, let alone the card...

Do not try this one at home, kids. Vsync is your friend.

Note: That card still runs to this day, years later. It is safe to assume that it has no done any damage, that we can observe.

Last edited by Xavathos on Sep 20, 2018, 7:51:03 AM
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
Demonoz wrote:

Haha, very true.

We once ran a very old 3DMark test on a new PC without any frame limiters and around 3800 frames per second the coil whine on the card was so loud that we had to turn it off because it was painful for us to listen to, let alone the card...

Do not try this one at home, kids. Vsync is your friend.

Note: That card still runs to this day, years later. It is safe to assume that it has no done any damage, that we can observe.

Yeah well guess who had to learn ALL THIS SHIT the HARD way?.....
At least i learned... and at least i learned after the first GPU i cooked to death.. hahahaha
"
Anubis2108 wrote:
"
KalAthar wrote:
Did you also make the PC's that burned up? Cause it sounds a lot like poorly controlled overclocking or cooling from a "custom gear" shop run by amateurs.

lol.

You guys make a lot of asumptions. I did not go into detail on purpose because i did not think it mattered.

Usely when a customer comes with a pc they dont know much about the pc itself, they just use it. If they did, they probaly did not need me to fix it for them.

However when they do come it is common to ask if they know what they did when it happend, how it happend, and how it ran prior to the incident.

Next when path of exile is the only game on the desktop it is a safe to assume that is the game he/she is playing currently.

Now i am aware that a lot of things could had happend, he might have messed with overclocking or simply stressed it in other ways than poe.

But i found it funny, that i got pc's in with a graphic card burned in the first week of delve while poe is allso on their desktop. I am not saying it is the reason, i am just saying that there is a high chance of poe being the reason.

The question is now, why does an update cause your pc to suddently overheat and is it fair that GGG releases an update that causes so much stress to a pc that it actually gets destroyed, without any warning?

you would assume that if nothing has happend to your settings, everything would run as it has allways done, unless ofcause GGG changed the default settings?

You be the judge.

This spelling though...
Last edited by HappyRogue on Sep 20, 2018, 8:23:20 AM
Yep, vsync makes a huge difference. For some reason it was disabled in my settings. So I tried delving with it on. Result: temperature went to only 58°C instead of the 70-something before. Peak power usage of the GPU was cut by a third.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
Mythabril wrote:
Yep, vsync makes a huge difference. For some reason it was disabled in my settings. So I tried delving with it on. Result: temperature went to only 58°C instead of the 70-something before. Peak power usage of the GPU was cut by a third.

It's not only smart to do so, you also don't gain anything from not using vsync. Your monitor has a peak refresh rate that it can perform. For mine that's 144Hz, which means that while technically I could get certain games to run at 500 FPS, my monitor would still show the images at 144Hz frequency, as it can't go any faster. All those extra frames that my GPU has to work overtime for, are 100% wasted effort.

Vsync used to be needed to reduce 'screen-tearing' in certain games, when the horizontal refresh rate was not in line with the vertical refresh rate (thus, "V" vertical "sync" synchronisation) Today, that part of it is less relevant.

Nowadays it's much more commonly used as a frame limiter. Which is technically all it has ever done, but more importantly now than before. Think of games where the physics engine is tied to the framerate, like Skyrim and Fallout. Anyone who has played those games at 144 FPS like me, will know what I'm talking about. (Flying Mammoths, bouncing… EVERYTHING etc.) Walking through Skyrim at 144 FPS is like there's a permanent earthquake going on and the odd brutally genocidal telekinetic ghost throwing swords and axes here and there.

Last edited by Xavathos on Sep 20, 2018, 8:12:52 AM
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
Mythabril wrote:

It's not only smart to do so, you also don't gain anything from not using vsync. Your monitor has a peak refresh rate that it can perform. For mine that's 144Hz, which means that while technically I could get certain games to run at 500 FPS, my monitor would still show the images at 144Hz frequency, as it can't go any faster. All those extra frames that my GPU has to work overtime for, are 100% wasted effort.

Vsync used to be needed to reduce 'screen-tearing' in certain games, when the horizontal refresh rate was not in line with the vertical refresh rate (thus, "V" vertical "synch")

Nowadays it's much more commonly used as a frame limiter. Especially important in games where the physics engine is tied to the framerate, like Skyrim and Fallout. Anyone who has played those games at 144 FPS like me, will know what I'm talking about. (Flying Mammoths, bouncing… EVERYTHING etc.)

Yeah well try explaining that shit to some of these "But i have 250 FPS right now there no way 60 is better that just makes no sense." people..
Theres a fucking ton of them out there i cant count how many people ive tried to explain this to and they are convinced by the "No your wrong.. More is ALWAYS better" Mentality. But reality is every word Xavathos just said is absolutely true even down to the technical reasons but people simply wont listen.
Last edited by Demonoz on Sep 20, 2018, 8:08:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info