A customer yesterday came in with his pc.

"
databeaver wrote:
"
Rexeos wrote:
That is not happening during pc gaming.

That's because most games are not able to run at high enough framerates for it to be recognizable as rolling shutter, but the underlying principle is the same. You'd need to run at 1000+ fps for the popular rolling shutter effects with things like rotating blades to become visible. Most games don't even render individual rotating blades for aircraft but instead render something that looks like a motion-blurred propeller, because the expected framerate is slow enough that rendering individual blades would not make sense. However if you have a scene with a horizontal camera drive you may be able to see vertical lines become slanted.

Imo that can not happen due "rolling shutter" is question of recording and not displaying. Rolling shutter can not occur on PC due picture is always send as full image and more fps than monitors Hz results in tearing and in that regards with a bit imagination it looks like slanted already. Its impossible due technology, nevertheless I like you theory though.
Last edited by Rexeos on Sep 22, 2018, 8:04:47 PM
"
databeaver wrote:
"
A very high uncapped frame rate basically hides screen tearing. It's less perceivable but it's there.

It does cause other kinds of artifacts though. Specifically, something that in videography is called "rolling shutter". Because different scanlines of the frame are exposed or rendered at different times, moving objects can get elongated, compressed or otherwise distorted depending on which direction they move. If the camera is moving then the distortions apply to the entire scene.

Video games are not film. Next you will tell us that 24 fps is fine.
"
Rexeos wrote:
"
databeaver wrote:
"
Rexeos wrote:
That is not happening during pc gaming.

That's because most games are not able to run at high enough framerates for it to be recognizable as rolling shutter, but the underlying principle is the same. You'd need to run at 1000+ fps for the popular rolling shutter effects with things like rotating blades to become visible. Most games don't even render individual rotating blades for aircraft but instead render something that looks like a motion-blurred propeller, because the expected framerate is slow enough that rendering individual blades would not make sense. However if you have a scene with a horizontal camera drive you may be able to see vertical lines become slanted.

Imo that can not happen due "rolling shutter" is question of recording and not displaying. Rolling shutter can not occur on PC due picture is always send as full image and more fps than monitors Hz results in tearing and in that regards with a bit imagination it looks like slanted already. Its impossible due technology, nevertheless I like you theory though.

Screen tearing is not from frame rate being higher than monitors refresh rate. If that was the case, simply capping frame rate would fix it. It doesn't. Also...you get screen tearing below your refresh rate. You're off base. Screen tearing is when the monitors refresh rate and your frame rate are not in sync, which is what G-sync and Free-sync rectifies.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Sep 22, 2018, 9:34:38 PM
"

Screen tearing is not from frame rate being higher than monitors refresh rate. If that was the case, simply capping frame rate would fix it. It doesn't. Also...you get screen tearing below your refresh rate. You're off base. Screen tearing is when the monitors refresh rate and your frame rate are not in sync, which is what G-sync and Free-sync rectifies.

You contradict yourself.

Nevertheless show me where I am out of base.
Last edited by Rexeos on Sep 22, 2018, 10:15:07 PM
"
Rexeos wrote:
"

You contradict yourself.

Nevertheless show me where I am out of base.

Nothing I said was a contradiction, and it's not up to me to educate you. I stated facts, it's up to you to check your facts or continue being ( really, really) wrong.

I said where you're off base. Reread it and/or take a reading comp class. Screen tearing is not because of frame rate above refresh rate. It's because frame rate and refresh rate are not the same ( in sync).

I mean, I was on your side in that films and video games are two different animals, but you don't seem to understand what screen tearing is, when, or why it occurs.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Sep 22, 2018, 11:27:12 PM
"
Screen tearing is not because of frame rate above refresh rate. It's because frame rate and refresh rate are not the same.

You are troll.

gl
"
Rexeos wrote:
"
Screen tearing is not because of frame rate above refresh rate. It's because frame rate and refresh rate are not the same.

You are troll.

gl

lmao?!!!

Sorry if you don't understand screen tearing, that doesn't make me a troll. You continue to look foolish. You think screen tearing ONLY happens above your refresh? I mean...go play something for 10 seconds with vsync off and you'll see that's incorrect. You gotta be the one trolling, but it sure isn't me.

What do you think G-sync and Freesync do???
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Sep 23, 2018, 1:34:35 AM
So I'm guessing GI is the reasoning behind high GPU temps? I was wondering why my 1080 Ti was always at 70c playing PoE. This is with 162FPS cap as well(G-Sync monitor)
sweet mercy nobody in this thread has any clue what they're talking about yet they're still going
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
sweet mercy nobody in this thread has any clue what they're talking about yet they're still going

Enlighten "us".
"
WobbyWoo wrote:
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
WobbyWoo wrote:

There’s so much “constructive” material to add I wouldn’t even know where to start. The tl:dr is, Poe isn’t burning anyone’s gpus. Write that down.

I already said that a bunch of times in this thread. If you actually read it, you'd know that. :)

And perhaps if you read the thread, you’d know that it’s contents are not just from you or I.

That's why you shouldn't generalise. :)
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info