A customer yesterday came in with his pc.

"
Anubis2108 wrote:
We are talking about normal consumers, who have no idea what overclocking is.

I dont know what you guys are talking about. The question is, is it fair that a normal person loses his pc without a warning because of a patch?

The way thees customers describe it, they did not really do anything. Other than continueing the game. It is true, there is a lot of other things they could had done, but there was no evidence supporting overclocking or anything like that.

You could think that thees machinces were really dirty or something like this, but i really do not think they were.

I am aware that you can probaly never blame the game for it, only the machine. But dont you think people deserve a warning when a update clearly makes such a huge difference?

And you can attack me all you want and ask me questions and think w/e you want. It does not bother me at all, because it is common people on the internet enjoys drastic oppinions.

However, i am open to other ideas as to what is the cause of the over heating.

Do you deserve a warning when being served food in a restaurant that it may be hot and burn your tongue before stuffing your face with it?

Some things are just better left to common sense. Online games like POE, but there are thousands, are constantly changing, evolving, adapting, under development. There is no excuse for a player burning their GPU, because they would have had to ignore or work around all safety nets stopping them from doing so and they could have done that with any other game just as well. That it just so happens to be POE or not is irrelevant to the case.

POE did not burn that GPU, poor end-user handling did. When something is set on fire, do you go looking for the matchbox, or the arsonist?
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
Anubis2108 wrote:
This is a 980GTX card, not the best today, but still very good at its time.

It's actually a really good card, still. Fairly equal to a current 1060 and so if you're shopping for cards (like I am) it's a good option to explore. If you bought a 980 when they came out you've gotten some really great mileage out of it. I still see no reason to upgrade a 980 system. Perhaps a 8600k or 2700X but the GPU can stay the same.
"
Anubis2108 wrote:
I dont know what you guys are talking about. The question is, is it fair that a normal person loses his pc without a warning because of a patch?

The way thees customers describe it, they did not really do anything. Other than continueing the game. It is true, there is a lot of other things they could had done, but there was no evidence supporting overclocking or anything like that.

Did you ask what other games they played? Is it possible that there was a latent fault in the hardware and this patch simply triggered it? Perhaps all other games they play are significantly less demanding than PoE.

"
Anubis2108 wrote:
I am aware that you can probaly never blame the game for it, only the machine. But dont you think people deserve a warning when a update clearly makes such a huge difference?

Do you think, then, that every AAA game should include such a warning? I think it would ultimately do more harm than good. People would not buy the games out of fear of damaging their computers. If the warning first appears with patch, owners of the game would flood support with angry messages about how it's unacceptable (even though nothing broke yet).
"
Anubis2108 wrote:

And it is actually quite insane how hot they have become, i rarely ever see graphic cards with that many heat stains.

What are you talking about?
Yay people that have no idea automatically blaming the devs. Your pc runs hot ? Lower the settings, also your hardware downclocks itself when it is overheating and no matter the setting, I don't run hot playing poe on a 960. Something's wrong with your settings/configs and automatically, the finger is being pointed at the devs.

Something might be wrong on their end, but there's a million things you can always do on your end also. I don't do tech support professionally but I tech support around 10 people around me and none have any issues with POE and they all play it.

Just fix your shit, also your proc would turn off before reaching 120D, to whoever mentioned that.

"My pc is running wrong, it's the fault of the devs of the game I am currently running, it cannot be else! I cannot be at fault!" <- tin-foil hat conspiracy alex jones crap.

POE ~never~ ran bad on my computer. Just right now obv they're having issues with the servers. :)

I am of a mind that you should not buy a pc if you can't handle it yourself/don't have a friend to do it without paying, cause I've seen many people routinely neglecting their computers because they don't want to invest and then complaining at devs because their games don't work/don't work as expected. Calm your nuts people, teach yourself some computer shite, and do your maintenance yourself, you'll see a huge improvement and you'll see many things people call "issues" with most games suddenly magically disappear. =)
Last edited by Tugzor on Sep 20, 2018, 7:09:03 PM
"
Tugzor wrote:
Yay people that have no idea automatically blaming the devs. Your pc runs hot ? Lower the settings, also your hardware downclocks itself when it is overheating and no matter the setting, I don't run hot playing poe on a 960. Something's wrong with your settings/configs and automatically, the finger is being pointed at the devs.

I've been running POE since open beta and have made several changes to the settings over the years. An audio "upgrade" caused me to turn off reverb (it was really bad at the time, messing up nonsound performances). An addition of preloading or multithreading caused me to add a disabling command line to the shortcut (that preloading stuff caused massive amounts of "unexpected" disconnects). When DX11 was added I changed to that (it had crazy graphical tearing for a league or two, but the DX9 was just a black screen...)

But this league was the first time my laptop was overheating. Temperature? I don't know, but my fingers were feeling burned from the keyboard. I just stopped playing. And what do you know... none of my other games cause it :P

Overclocked? That's funny.

I'll just check back in another league or two.
"
SudianX wrote:
"
Tugzor wrote:

I've been running POE since open beta and have made several changes to the settings over the years. An audio "upgrade" caused me to turn off reverb (it was really bad at the time, messing up nonsound performances). An addition of preloading or multithreading caused me to add a disabling command line to the shortcut (that preloading stuff caused massive amounts of "unexpected" disconnects). When DX11 was added I changed to that (it had crazy graphical tearing for a league or two, but the DX9 was just a black screen...)

But this league was the first time my laptop was overheating. Temperature? I don't know, but my fingers were feeling burned from the keyboard. I just stopped playing. And what do you know... none of my other games cause it :P

Overclocked? That's funny.

I'll just check back in another league or two.

You're asking for overheating issues gaming on a laptop from the onset. Lower your settings and you won't heat. I've never had any of the issues you mention and I've been around since beta as well. I have countless legacy uniques spread across the million stashes from the 15 leagues I've played in standard. Yeah I have tweaked the settings, but what do you expect ? That the game be the same for 6+ years ? I want the game to evolve and change so I can keep being interested when I come back. :p Most of the settings I've tweaked have been to rise them. I had a SSD before the preload was implemented and I never had these audio/reverb issues.

I won't tell you to play, but yeah if you wanna play there's always the option of lowering your settings/changing hardware. Both of these options are unappealing but yeah at least you can still enjoy the game instead of bickering on the forums because your hardware is not up to par with the evolving nature of poe. =)

Also I can't keep you from playing, but pointing fingers at GGG for trying to make their game better (you can't argue they've also made many, many, many great steps forward if you've been here since the beta, the game plays better than ever and looks better than ever) is completely pointless. If you have a genuine gripe/bug into your hands, submit it to their customer support, see what they have to say ?

Otherwise, yeah, gamers have to upgrade their rigs regularly, it's part of the deal, just like you change console every 6 years, updating hardware every those years or so is not a bad idea.

Path is into a new gen now, time to update your old cardboxes =) It doesn't run on ps3 hardware anymore, to put it simply. And if you want to game seriously, I highly suggest buying a desktop, unless you're very mobile (lan parties, etc).

And yeah, perhaps none of your other games do it, but absolutely nothing keeps you from finding the toggle and disabling it, whether it be a command line or a switch in game. Use it, they are there for a reason. Also, it's not because you had issues that everybody did. You never hear the silent, content majority. :D

(The preloading is ~soooo~ awesome.)

Also I am not saying there is no issues, I am saying I am willing to have to toggle a setting off if I feel it negatively impacts my performance. Volumetric Fog in Monster Hunter was and probably still is a huge performance hog on PC, and it didn't keep me from enjoying it 200 hours, the game looks fantastic even when turned down, even if it's a bit less, and it's an absolute blast to play. =)
Last edited by Tugzor on Sep 20, 2018, 9:01:48 PM
"
Tugzor wrote:

Something might be wrong on their end, but there's a million things you can always do on your end also. I don't do tech support professionally but I tech support around 10 people around me and none have any issues with POE and they all play it.

Just fix your shit, also your proc would turn off before reaching 120D, to whoever mentioned that.

"My pc is running wrong, it's the fault of the devs of the game I am currently running, it cannot be else! I cannot be at fault!" <- tin-foil hat conspiracy alex jones crap.

POE ~never~ ran bad on my computer. Just right now obv they're having issues with the servers. :)

I am of a mind that you should not buy a pc if you can't handle it yourself/don't have a friend to do it without paying, cause I've seen many people routinely neglecting their computers because they don't want to invest and then complaining at devs because their games don't work/don't work as expected. Calm your nuts people, teach yourself some computer shite, and do your maintenance yourself, you'll see a huge improvement and you'll see many things people call "issues" with most games suddenly magically disappear. =)

You should not have to lower settings to not over heat. If any of your hardware overheats it's not the games fault. Your hardware sucks and /or needs attention. Full stop.
"
"
Tugzor wrote:

You should not have to lower settings to not over heat. If any of your hardware overheats it's not the games fault. Your hardware sucks and /or needs attention. Full stop.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Blaming games for overheating hardware is a band-aid at best. It will not solve any overheating problems you may experience and it will remain an issue in the future.

Ignorance is bliss, perhaps, but it'll cost you another laptop/PC/GPU/CPU in this case, every time. Tackle the problem at its roots if you want to solve them properly.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
Mythabril wrote:
Yep, vsync makes a huge difference. For some reason it was disabled in my settings. So I tried delving with it on. Result: temperature went to only 58°C instead of the 70-something before. Peak power usage of the GPU was cut by a third.

It's not only smart to do so, you also don't gain anything from not using vsync. Your monitor has a peak refresh rate that it can perform. For mine that's 144Hz, which means that while technically I could get certain games to run at 500 FPS, my monitor would still show the images at 144Hz frequency, as it can't go any faster. All those extra frames that my GPU has to work overtime for, are 100% wasted effort.

"
Arrowneous wrote:
Unless you have a 120 Hz or variable sync monitor there is no reason not to limit the frame rate to 60 max. Regular monitors can't refresh any faster so since you can't see anything quicker you're just stressing your video card more than you need to.

No, that's completely wrong. GPU and Monitor don't synch each other, meaning that they are often out of sync.
By having the GPU produce more frames than what the monitor refreshes at you minimize the amount of frames that these two are out of sync, aka "stutter".
That's FPS basics.
Last edited by Player089 on Sep 21, 2018, 7:42:46 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info