A customer yesterday came in with his pc.

"
KalAthar wrote:
Did you also make the PC's that burned up? Cause it sounds a lot like poorly controlled overclocking or cooling from a "custom gear" shop run by amateurs.

lol.

You guys make a lot of asumptions. I did not go into detail on purpose because i did not think it mattered.

Usely when a customer comes with a pc they dont know much about the pc itself, they just use it. If they did, they probaly did not need me to fix it for them.

However when they do come it is common to ask if they know what they did when it happend, how it happend, and how it ran prior to the incident.

Next when path of exile is the only game on the desktop it is a safe to assume that is the game he/she is playing currently.

Now i am aware that a lot of things could had happend, he might have messed with overclocking or simply stressed it in other ways than poe.

But i found it funny, that i got pc's in with a graphic card burned in the first week of delve while poe is allso on their desktop. I am not saying it is the reason, i am just saying that there is a high chance of poe being the reason.

The question is now, why does an update cause your pc to suddently overheat and is it fair that GGG releases an update that causes so much stress to a pc that it actually gets destroyed, without any warning?

you would assume that if nothing has happend to your settings, everything would run as it has allways done, unless ofcause GGG changed the default settings?

You be the judge.

EDIT: On my own pc, i had to take off global illumination aswell because my GPU temperature sky rocket aswell. This is a 980GTX card, not the best today, but still very good at its time. I can run poe with all the settings to ultra, with global illumination on but thats when my fan run at 2500 RPM which i do not really wanna listen to.
Last edited by Anubis2108 on Sep 19, 2018, 1:17:17 PM
They made a lot of assumptions? Your entire post is based on an assumption.

Just because Path of Exile is on my PC, doesn't mean that when my graphics card burns, it is because of Path of Exile.

I have a radio in my car too, should I blame it next time I have a flat tire as well? Those darn sonic waves slashed my tires again.

I've been using high-end hardware and running Path of Exile at highest quality at high resolutions for as long as the game has existed and I have never even had temperatures be remotely high, even during extremely hot summer days where my room temperature was close to that of my blood.

Games have options, settings, with set demands for a reason. When your hardware can't handle the max settings, don't use them.

Also, how is even remotely possible that my GTX970 with stock cooling can run with global illumination on ultra at decent frames without even going above 68 Celsius in the most demanding situations? (I own and use a lot of shiny effects etc)
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Sep 19, 2018, 1:35:07 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I'll go one further and say it's not even worth limiting it to 60Hz. Go with 30Hz and you'll be fine.

the difference between 30fps and 60fps is very noticeable feels horrible
"
Xavathos wrote:
Also, how is even remotely possible that my GTX970 with stock cooling can run with global illumination on ultra at decent frames without even going above 68 Celsius in the most demanding situations? (I own and use a lot of shiny effects etc)

You tell me?

I did like to hear what you have to say.

"
Anubis2108 wrote:

But i found it funny, that i got pc's in with a graphic card burned in the first week of delve while poe is allso on their desktop. I am not saying it is the reason, i am just saying that there is a high chance of poe being the reason.

The question is now, why does an update cause your pc to suddently overheat and is it fair that GGG releases an update that causes so much stress to a pc that it actually gets destroyed, without any warning?

Yes, actually you are saying software burned hardware. And that is not true and cant be.

Imagine car, that has crack in motor: because driver usually do not pass 100 km/h everything seems fine as car acts normally, but in fact problem is already present. Once he goes over 200 km/h motor dies (car can go normally over 240 km/h). The same is for PC, if shit happens, its due problem was already present.
Last edited by Rexeos on Sep 19, 2018, 2:49:03 PM
Yesterday I turned off POE as usual. Today I boot it up and somehow, it reset my whole settings. I changed them back but forget to turn off Global Illumination and sat in the HO.

5 minutes later, my GPU sounds like landing 747, the screen is flickering and pc want to shut down on itself. Booted up GPU-Z and 120 C On core 3!

Something is definitely wrong. Even after I turned it off, it still hovers around 95c in HO.
Last edited by Sixtysan on Sep 19, 2018, 2:51:11 PM
Well there you have it, bonafide proof that POE causes video cards to overheat.

Yes that was sarcasm folks.
I'd be worried about a hardware problem, not PoE. Are you seeing high temperatures elsewhere? That high makes me think of fucked up thermal paste, restricted airflow, hot ambient temps, and other such factors. Have you capped your FPS? If not, do it and see what temps you get. Cap at 60 and let's see.
I have a GTX 980 and just did a simple test with HW Monitor running to see what performance PoE is drawing. Most settings are on high or recommended, usually only picking a lower setting when I can't really make out an improvement on how it looks.

Global illumination on, with low GI shadows. Ran a few Delves, then quit and checked HW Monitor, GPU went at maximum to 70°C and fans topped out at 3250.

Left it to cool down to near room temperature and started again with GI shadows set to high. After a few Delves, checked again seeing 73°C max temperature and fan topping 3500 RPM.

So with this primitive test, I suppose GI shadows with many lights is eating a lot of performance. Add a layer of dust and you may end up with localized heat damage. Thankfully my casing comes with a dust filter, so it has barely any inside.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
Most modern cards throttle at certain temps, so there shouldn't have been heat damage anyway. They throttle well under the damage temps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info