Why do people get vaccines? Don't they research the ingredients?

"
faerwin wrote:
vegetation isn't a negative footprint. It's just a basin of carbon.
Don't move the goalposts. Yes, I understand that conservation of mass applies and thus the total carbon in the system doesn't go down because plants... but also it doesn't go up because burn oil. Saying plants don't have a negative footprint is like saying burning fossil fuels doesn't have a positive footprint. Therefore the appropriate standard for "carbon footprint" is net carbon atoms added/removed from (C)O2 molecules — in other words, at atmospheric standard. Under that standard burning oil is positive footprint and plants breathing is negative footprint.
"
faerwin wrote:
That carbon is released as soon as the vegetation is burnt/eaten (which is quite frequent).
Not fully, but yes, close enough. Burning fossil fuels essentially is burning the sequestered remains of plants long since deceased. But the fact that we can do that shows that plants are actually very good at sequestering carbon naturally — we didn't put all that oil under the ground, nature did!

All O2-inhalers are positive footprint, and plants form the bottom of the food chain. I would say that those organisms are positive footprint, rather than blaming the victim for being preyed upon. ("Hey, that plant looked so ripe and delicious, it was asking for it.")
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 8, 2019, 11:06:42 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
faerwin wrote:
vegetation isn't a negative footprint. It's just a basin of carbon.
Don't move the goalposts. Yes, I understand that conservation of mass applies and thus the total carbon in the system doesn't go down because plants... but also it doesn't go up because burn oil. Saying plants don't have a negative footprint is like saying burning fossil fuels doesn't have a positive footprint. Therefore the appropriate standard for "carbon footprint" is net carbon atoms added/removed from (C)O2 molecules — in other words, at atmospheric standard. Under that standard burning oil is positive footprint and plants breathing is negative footprint.
"
faerwin wrote:
That carbon is released as soon as the vegetation is burnt/eaten (which is quite frequent).
Not fully, but yes, close enough. Burning fossil fuels essentially is burning the sequestered remains of plants long since deceased. But the fact that we can do that shows that plants are actually very good at sequestering carbon naturally — we didn't put all that oil under the ground, nature did!

All O2-inhalers are positive footprint, and plants form the bottom of the food chain. I would say that those organisms are positive footprint, rather than blaming the victim for being preyed upon. ("Hey, that plant looked so ripe and delicious, it was asking for it.")

huh, oil 100% make it go up no matter what because it's extracted from outside the ecosystem (oil being 2+ kilometers underground, where, if left alone, cannot have an impact on the surface, is out of the ecosystem).

So unless you are talking about burning vegetable oil or whale fat oils, then it is 100% going up with burnt oil.

And no, plants DO NOT have a negative footprint because the carbon they absorb is released upon burning/being consumed/biodegrading. It's at best a temporary reservoir but it's still 100% in the cycle. Only a small part of it manages to get out of the cycle.

As for oil under the ground, it's actually mostly from animals rather than plants.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Nice hijack. How fossil fuels are in any way linked to vaccines I have no idea, nor do I want to even explore that. Strange people.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Measle-case-confirmed-in-Central-Texas--505350581.html

Meanwhile, this is the 3rd place in US I have recently heard of with an outbreak that should never have happened.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Nice hijack. How fossil fuels are in any way linked to vaccines I have no idea, nor do I want to even explore that. Strange people.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Measle-case-confirmed-in-Central-Texas--505350581.html

Meanwhile, this is the 3rd place in US I have recently heard of with an outbreak that should never have happened.

The only person that think vaccines are bad is the OP, as such, there's no discussion to be had (about vaccines) until he post again
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
Which is why the thread should be locked.
Censored.
nah, keep the idiocy in one place as much as possible
I think that train already left the station, don't you? ;)
Censored.
"
faerwin wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

I agree that antivaxxers should be punished in some way if their kids get sick. That's beyond a thought crime so I'm fine with that.

The problem here is that it doesn't prevent the behavior.

It's like saying that people going 120 mph on the high way shouldn't be punished until they cause a car crash/accident.

The difference is that in your analogy the state is trying to prevent behavior, while with antivaxxers it's trying to compel behavior. Big difference. The only way to deal with antivaxxers is to make their lives as hard as possible, but you can't actually compel them to let their kids get vaxxed.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Psh, lock that shit Monster Hunter thread before this one.

True enough, Faerwin, only the OP was antivax.

This one got me -

"
anti vax perents won let me get a vaccine
Im 15 years old and i never really thought about my parents not vaccinating me but now i have been doing some research about them and i dont really think they are harmful and i want to get a vaccine. Any advice on what to do?

10 Comments

Save

Anti-vaxxer asks how she can keep her unimmunized daughter safe. The Internet has some ideas. Tuesday, February 5, 2019

lol, internet.

So,

So,

"
Why are some scientific ideas hard to believe in? What makes the human mind so resistant to certain kinds of facts, even when these facts are buttressed by vast amounts of evidence?

A new study in Cognition, led by Andrew Shtulman at Occidental College, helps explain the stubbornness of our ignorance. As Shtulman notes, people are not blank slates, eager to assimilate the latest experiments into their world view. Rather, we come equipped with all sorts of naïve intuitions about the world, many of which are untrue. For instance, people naturally believe that heat is a kind of substance, and that the sun revolves around the earth. And then there’s the irony of evolution: our views about our own development don’t seem to be evolving.

This means that science education is not simply a matter of learning new theories. Rather, it also requires that students unlearn their instincts, shedding false beliefs the way a snake sheds its old skin.

Why we don't believe in Science.

Obligatory caveat on fMRI here. It's interesting that whatever technology is available and "cutting edge" is used to explain the workings of the human mind, but this isn't questioned overly as possibly a little faddish.

Last edited by erdelyii on Feb 9, 2019, 6:15:52 AM
Last edited by HermitDragon on Feb 11, 2019, 7:43:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info