Why do people get vaccines? Don't they research the ingredients?

Sorry to hear about your butt issues, Charan.

What gets me is this thread keeps tracking back to the vaccine topic, and that seems to happen not just because the title of the thread is two highly charged questions.

Is this debate quite big in the States?

Recent Cracked piece

The Intense and Utter Weirdness Of 'High IQ Societies'

Last edited by erdelyii on Apr 23, 2019, 8:32:51 AM
A new vacine against malaria got pushed out today.

The horror!

The succes rate is 4/10 of this new vacine, but in my book that's better then 0/10.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
A new vacine against malaria got pushed out today.

The horror!

The succes rate is 4/10 of this new vacine, but in my book that's better then 0/10.

Peace,

-Boem-

This is actually a really big deal. 40% effectiveness is not stellar, but 40% effectiveness for Malaria? Malaria is the single biggest killer of Humanity in history. It kills half a million people every year, and that's despite a huge improvement in just the last decade. Depending on estimates/year, the number of people who get malaria each year is somewhere between one and two times the entire US population. There's a case to be made that it's killed literally half of all humans who have ever lived.

A working vaccine against Malaria? That's big. Like, "vaccine against Smallpox" big.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
It is, when you consider how many lives that translates to.

Neat tool for the visually inclined

"
Scientists fail every day. Failure is an essential and inescapable part of scientific research. It’s baked right into the scientific method: observe, measure, hypothesize, and then test. Of course, that hypothesis is often wrong. When it is, scientists go back, observe more, get new measurements, come up with a new hypothesis and test again. And again.

Despite this, scientific failure is rarely talked about openly, which was why when University of Arizona astrophysicist Erika Hamden used her TED 2019 talk last week to share how her work has been characterized by setback after setback, it felt like a radical act. As she spoke, she seemed at times near tears. And yet the talk, video of which is not currently available on TED’s channels, was not just brave; it was inspiring.

“The reality of my job is that I fail almost all the time and still keep going,” Hamden said on the very first day of the weeklong conference that usually celebrates triumph.

Hamden was onstage as part of the fellows cohort for this year, a group of promising change-makers who are on the cusp of reinventing the world. Most people were there to hype up their impressive work, to tell TED why it was so important and incredible that it demanded the world’s attention.

Hamden told the story of a balloon that popped.

“FIREBall is weird as far as telescopes go because it’s not in space and it’s not on the ground,” she said. “Instead it hangs on a cable from a giant balloon and observes for one night only from 130,000 feet in the stratosphere, at the very edge of space.”

One night only. Now you start to see why the balloon popping was such a colossal failure. And it came, Hamden explained, on top of failure after failure leading up to this night. Sensor...

Damn, it wants me to subscribe to WIRED.

Oh well. Not real sold on Ted talks though some are good. At any rate, the nutshell message is a good one. Not making unwarranted parallels, absolutely not, just this is the story that appeals to me today.

Malaria is not a virus... 40% is damn good. Please research what Malaria is, does, won’t etc... The bullshit continues it seems >.>
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Apr 28, 2019, 8:47:04 PM
Who said it was a virus Solwitch?

First real time movies of the light-to-current conversion in an organic solar cell

From a few years back, found it looking for an apt picture yesterday? The day before. Hard to make out at this size, maybe check the story out.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info