The future of POE's speed farm Meta

"
Arrowneous wrote:
GGG can't keep the speed meta going forward for much longer. It's pretty much maxed out right now with temple incursions. Somehow, someway, GGG will need to find a way to slow down zone/map racing. Please, stop the insanity already!

you sure about that?, next league they will hit ludicrous speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oApAdwuqtn8

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
If I could buy a stand alone client I'd buy prenerf invasion. Game was way more fun then IMO. Every map was like a end game boss fight and game was much slower. The way game plays today is just not fun being in god mode hack most of the time. I play games for adversity not god mode hack most of the time. Like really only challege top final 8 bosses and if you play meta they are not so bad.

yep. I want the ascendancy classes etc because of the deeper customisation, but the actual gameplay just barely exists now.

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Blizz once had a dev blog why they released carebear patch 1.3. Basically before that even elites (rares here) took 5 min. Diablo took like 20. Go watch those old vids and see. 95% hated it. So yeah speed meta pays the billz. I wish I could find that old post. But basically they broke down everything about player psychology.

yep. And that wasnt all good imo, diablo taking 20 mins, awesome, a rare mob taking 5 mins? too much. Heres the thing with diablo when u had mosnter power 10 or whatever, youd have these hota barbs just hitting a rare, the rare cant kill the barb, the barb will win, but he has to stand there for minutes just holding down the button BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM....

fucking tedious tbh. It kind of went too far, and I think part of that was their buying too much into this idea that people wanted to focus on improving damage and not defence. They said ppl find it more fun to chase dps so were not gonna test their defences too much just jack up monster life to the sky to force them to focus almost completely on damage... and imo that did not make for a very fun game.

I actually think they have a better balance now, when you get a build to the point where ur doing a t100 greater rift mobs are tanky as fuck, but they also do savage damage, its often your defences that just dont stand up and you need to seek a balance. In the end you then work out how much defence you can get away with, and that takes you to a point where the mobs are still very dangerous but if I play it right with my cooldowns and kiting, with dodging the telegraphs, area denials etc then I can survive with this setup, and now I need as much damage as possible on top of that. So you actually take your defences to a point where it works but it needs good play, and youre forced to leave it there and not become unkillable tanky because you need to sink the rest into damage to beat the timers on these super tanky mobs.

For all the shitty item systems and lamery in that game which stop it being a great arpg, its actually got some fun builds and gameplay imo, more fun than poe now for me. Everything outside of a few specific boss fights in poe is a joke, everything just dies instantly with any build, theres no real scope to have a play style you can be good at, you just press a button and everything is dead, thats all there is to it.

poes loot fountains of garbage have become so extreme that the game is essentially a solo self found game now, and this changes the dynamic between d3 and poe, because it puts them in the same spot, makes both of them a somewhat casual game with a short shelf life the way a solo game that isnt built around a trade economy is. A lot of what poe had over d3 has been lost, and now Im looking at the complex mechanics and item system vs actually more fun game play and feeling like Id rather have the gameplay, sad to say.
with this meta stuff too, it is semantics rly.

I dont see it as a meta personally but its coming down to how you take the phrase, no right or wrong way to see it.

For me to say its a clearspeed meta suggests theres a form of this game where clearspeed wasnt the meta, like there could be a different meta. Thats not the case, its just a permanent state of being. Since I started on the first day of open beta there was racing, racing the ladder, thats what ladders are about, and then actual racing with seasons etc. Speed of progression was always a drive, its not a current meta that has come into play at some point and may switch to a different meta, its just the game, its hard baked into the very fabric of the game since day 1 of open beta.

The real deal is, now fast are we allowed to go? Thats the question, what matters, what has got out of control, what has changed. Im gonna be honest, I dont think many people asked for this, not this far, not this much. It wasnt called for, I didnt see hordes of people screaming to go faster, it was just reckless additions to the game that were not nerfed quick enough and set a precedent. Once people had the speed for long enough that it felt normal they wouldnt accept going backwards. Rather than realise they need to take care GGG just kept being completely careless, adding broken as fuck shit to the game that no one actually asked for which kept making it worse and worse, and they dont fix them, they leave them in for too long and then were stuck with them. And they kept doing it over and over and over till they just totally fucked up their game.

This wasnt demanded, this wasnt needed, this isnt the reason the game got more popular, it was endless careless mistakes from the devs. theyre still making them, it feels like theyve given up now, they actually dont give a shit any more, its ruined and any will to try and claw back something reasonable from where we are right now just seems non existent. It can be fixed, obviously, and I believe the game can survive it being fixed, but I see no will at all to do it.

Vaal spark was the line crosser, when they didnt nerf vaal spark, and they let that become how people expected the game to be by leaving it in for league after league after league, the game was fucked.
Last edited by Snorkle_uk on Jul 24, 2018, 11:48:31 PM
If you drop the word meta from your vocabulary, you will more cleanly argue your point I think.

What should GGG do to reign in on the clear speed meta?

What should GGG do to reign in on clear speed?

I don't know; this has become nails on a chalkboard with me. Perhaps my interpretation of meta is wrong. The most fast, tankiest, biggest damage-dealing build will always simply exist no matter what iteration we have with PoE. Even then we're all going to bitch about what's best anyway....
"
jack_aubrey wrote:
If you drop the word meta from your vocabulary, you will more cleanly argue your point I think.

What should GGG do to reign in on the clear speed meta?

What should GGG do to reign in on clear speed?

I don't know; this has become nails on a chalkboard with me. Perhaps my interpretation of meta is wrong. The most fast, tankiest, biggest damage-dealing build will always simply exist no matter what iteration we have with PoE. Even then we're all going to bitch about what's best anyway....

Best =/= Meta is the issue, you just have to look at the skill usage / ascendancy statistics to understand that there are very defined rails for most players apparently.

So your two statements can't always be linked in many cases the problem is that slow builds feel bad, not because fast builds feel fast but because speed has become the primary measure of a characters success. That is why it is a meta and not just a statement - if clear speed was not the meta It wouldn't need to be reigned in.

Its like the difference between queen of the forest and movement skills, qotf allows you to go super fast by stacking evasion but has a reasonable penalty associated in that you have to use a fairly gimp chestpiece by modern standards. Shield charge is just a standard fixture on any character that can use it, vastly increasing your movement speed and giving free perks (coh/fort etc).

qotf is a choice, many movement skill setups really aren't, you are just gimping your character by not using them.
Bring back Shaped Strand and Vaal Fireball ...

It's literally thing I am most need.

(+ Cross Leagues Skin Transfers and more Shaper/Elder MTX pls)
"
Arrowneous wrote:
GGG can't keep the speed meta going forward for much longer. It's pretty much maxed out right now with temple incursions. Somehow, someway, GGG will need to find a way to slow down zone/map racing. Please, stop the insanity already!

No, the incursions are fine, just git gud. Maxed out build finishing incursion with like 0:40 timer, so there is like ton of space for builds who able to finish incursion with 30, 20 and 10 seconds left.

Nerfing the clear speed will be true doom of PoE. Never will happen, I believe, because most of people enjoying high clear speed. Just look at Bestiary.

"
Heli0nix wrote:
Wouldn't be astonished to see laser guns in next expansion

Laser swords are already exists.

"
鬼殺し wrote:

As someone who did just that for years, I can safely say that attitude is just putting off the inevitable: the stark realisation that this 'meta' thing is one of the most important things on the devs' mind when they balance the game. You can't 'play the way you enjoy' when the game itself might be made in a way that runs directly contrary to that. When the rewards for going fast (in the most recent case, incursion rares) are too great to ignore. I uninstalled PoE the moment I saw just how strong low level incursion rares could be and how easily speed-farm builds could acquire them at that level. I've stopped playing before but I've never uninstalled. That was my moment of reckoning. Of knowing if I didn't get on this speed-farm meta train, I was splish-splashing around in the shallow end of the kiddy pool in my own hapless pee. Even if we call that kiddy pool The Twilight Strand...

I don't get these complains from someone with max level 74.
I mean everyone knows and it's even published on reddit that you don't playing maps or don't making strong builds or don't farming OP gear.

What the point of complains about meta? The meta is something that affects people who want to farm absolute endgame with Headhunter etc. etc.

For you nothing changed since 3.0 when the leveling got revamp...
The leveling could be done with basically any build and there is no racing in leveling. You're not competing with anyone while leveling on ladder or market.
Too much needs to be fundamentally reworked in order to make PoE a hardcore ARPG (I consider it a laggier Clicker Heroes with better environment design in its present state). Spammable, zero cooldown mobility trivializes any content safe for oneshots. Player damage is through the roof and breaks everything to the point where I genuinely wonder if the developers play their own game.

I started playing during Bestiary and I loved it, but that league gave me a VERY wrong impression of what PoE is. Between the recipes, crafting, set items and the sometimes absurdly hard red beasts, I assumed this game was basically a slow, old-school ARPG. Incursion cleared it up for me: PoE carries the illusion of complexity, but in truth it's a braindead Facebook game where you stack multipliers and spam right click. Once you get over the hype of mastering this obscure, seemingly hardcore ARPG, you're left with something as shallow and basic as Diablo 3.

Chris Wilson admitted it himself on Baeclast that the reason they keep mobility and damage so idiotically high is because if they nerfed it the casuals would leave. Not for any gameplay reason, not because the team believes it makes PoE more fun, but simply because they'd lose their audience if they touched it. There is all the evidence I need to claim the speed farm meta isn't going away and is in fact the future of PoE.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
You never got to experience desync, for example. Not the real thing, at any rate. Desync was, ironically, the one thing probably keeping a true clear-speed meta in check. It encouraged ranged/aoe play, but you couldn't move too quickly because you never quite knew if your character was exactly where you thought it was. Whirling Blades was a death-trap. :)

It's funny, but some of my guildmates actually advertised "Predictive" mode, because it's looks
not that laggy in their screens with Herald of ice + AoE skills. It's Softcore, but still...

then they are dying to bearers

It was probably just a different game without Lockstep.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info