Worst Death Penalty mechanics I've ever seen!

Don't know about you guys, but I'm getting real tired of "kind-of" disconnects that mess me up. Earlier I lost all portals to a high-tier map, and therefore the chance to complete the map itself since it was my only copy. Just now the game crashed, and despite being out of a dangerous area, I apparently died. Another 10% I'll never getting back :(

It's one thing to die due to mistakes, but the death penalty is much harder to take when the game itself is at fault for it.
I remember when a HC death was permanent, so stating PoE has the worst death penalty mechanics is either rage-induced over-exaggeration or extremely limited gaming experience.

Some games have limited lives, and you know, end after those are spent.

Sure, it be nice to have a death summary but the bottom line is a character death is the result of running out of hitpoints. It may be a bit convoluted but any decent gamer can eventually decipher what happened without it being spelled out.

If you're unsure what an effect is, assume it's harmful.

One-shot mechanics are a result of the genre - if you can pot or log before hitting 0 that moment is trivialized. Then there's the power creep.

Yep, totally over league play.
ur not very observant then. I usually know why I die. Hitting wrong flask, not keeping eye on life, taking on too strong opponent, etc.

Since they got California servers and lockstep I cant blame lag and/or ping anymore its all me.

Maybe you should record your game play. Run it back - you'll see.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 17, 2018, 3:51:40 AM
My biggest complaint about the death penalty is that my PC is a piece of shit and I can't really justify upgrading for just one game. If I played other games, maybe I would, but since PoE is the only game I play I have to just put up with it until my CPU burns out, I guess. The longer I wait to upgrade, the longer the new one will last. I am getting extremely sick of dying to crashes and FPS issues, though.
Do you have an SSD? Keep a learn install with not a lot of shit running in background?

I play on a business laptop but have basically a virgin install with most services shut down and a SSD.

i also play at 800x600 because no video card
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 17, 2018, 4:00:58 AM
I'm fine with the death penalty because once I hit the 90-95 (and that's easy) range I don't care. Most builds are done and you can play them in full.

I think i have over 600 deaths on this current character I play: glass cannon style.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
"
Bone2flesh wrote:
I'm fine with the death penalty because once I hit the 90-95 (and that's easy) range I don't care. Most builds are done and you can play them in full.

I think i have over 600 deaths on this current character I play: glass cannon style.

I like the way you think. back when discharge was a thing I used to farm uber with 3K life. all DPS all the time version. Sometimes I'd lose all 6 portals if I had a bad day but whatever.

IMO if you play SC the only way to play is GC version.

Git R Dun!
First of all, I am good with the penalty in softcore.
If it would not reduce your exp because of death, everyone could simply die through to 100.
But with this penalty, you can only progress further, if you can stand it.
I often could kill something when I died again because of lagg spikes, personal fails or if I try to play high over the limit to get faster exp to find out, one death costs more time, than staying at levels what are still good for me.
Also I made it easier for me, I take aim to get to a level like highest ever and if I got there I don´t care no longer for death or penalty, because I know this is it, this is my personal wall and to climb over it would no longer be fun to play, it would be more like torturing myself.
At the moment I am simply not yet good enough in the game to reach 100 and to know this, makes it better. But some day in far far future,...
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Maybe you should record your game play. Run it back - you'll see.

This guy got it. I tend to record all of my "big" fights (Just have plays running, ctrl+f3 before arena, ctrl+f3 once fight is done, delete video if you don't need it/didn't die.) just to be able to learn from them and understand what the fuck just killed me.

One of the best examples I have is Phoenix. Took me forever to get the actual radius of his damn charge up nova down. Recorded the video, slowed it to .25x, observed, finally understood he was doing a nova around him and where the limit of it was.

Elder when in phase 3 is another example. So much shit going on i wasn't sure what exactly was killing me, turned out to be the ice projectiles which i could then mitigate with Lunaris/Cold res flask
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Do you have an SSD? Keep a learn install with not a lot of shit running in background?

I play on a business laptop but have basically a virgin install with most services shut down and a SSD.

i also play at 800x600 because no video card

Nah, no SSD for me. My system feels like such a house of cards that I'm afraid to touch anything in case it all collapses. I'll get a new PC around Christmas or something.

Yeah, I have to play on 800x600 too, I get so jelly of the streamers who play in ultra-wide lmao.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info