Mathil Build List v3.0

if you don´t have the chest enchantment for the Storm Brand Occultist you have way to low ES :(
Last edited by Kirby1978 on Aug 1, 2019, 10:25:58 AM
It's expensive though, so shop carefully. In some cases it may be cheaper just to buy a Regalia with better raw ES stats.

But I wouldn't spend 1 ex per 100 extra energy shield anyway. I personally enjoy trying to optimize build performance per chaos spent, so I've been trying to only do builds that are less than 3 exalts total. 5 exalts is a really expensive build for me, so 8-10 ex on one piece of gear is a non-starter.

I realize not everyone plays that way, and that mod is definitely important if you are maxing out the build!
The new EQ build looks amazing, having lots of fun but just one big issue: I cannot afford a 6-link full red socket Inpulsa... and not even craft one, not sure what luck you need for that.

What is the best alternative... anyone can give me some hints please? Rare chest or another good unique that can go with 6 red links or even 5 red 1 green easily?

Another issue I have is getting stunned or interrupted when wanting to do earthquake... how can I prevent that?
Last edited by Edimasta on Aug 2, 2019, 4:16:35 PM
i got a question about the storm brand occultist. why do you craft frenzy charge on ring and amulet instead of power charge if you use void battery at the same time?

about storm brand, I was able to craft a Vaal regalia with CC and Arcane surge and put multicraft. Would it be a good additional curse?
"
Illmyrr wrote:
i got a question about the storm brand occultist. why do you craft frenzy charge on ring and amulet instead of power charge if you use void battery at the same time?

The frenzy craft is +1 minimum. You cannot generate f-charges, but if your minimum is 2 or 3 instead of 0, you will always have that minimum.

This is one way to sneak in extra cast speed and damage with your mods.
I tried a couple of things with the SB Occultist that seem to work pretty well.

You can get an 8% chance for Onslaught on kill abyssal and put it in a belt or the tree socket below Mind Drinker. That gives you pretty much continuous Onslaught for mapping, and frees up a gear socket for something like Assassin's Mark or Enfeeble to go with Ele Weakness in a double CoH Orb. (My gear is about 5 ex all in, so no budget for things like CoH ring or glove corrupt.)

I also have a preference to self-cast Wave of Conviction, so I have infused Storm Burst in the helmet with WoC, and they can share phys to lightning in the extra slot. This does pretty crazy damage - on maps through t10 I can melt whole packs with just Orb (w/curses) and WoC. This is nice because you don't need to constantly check that most of your brands are up when you dash in and Recall. If you're down to 1 or 2, that will still be more than enough to finish off any tougher guys that aren't already dead.

The other nice benefit of phys to lightning with those actives is that it converts the remainder of their phys damage, which means you can now do phys reflect maps no problem.

Still have a few things to tweak, but it's quite a solid and fun build.
Last edited by GreyLensman on Aug 4, 2019, 8:33:24 AM
I keep dying a lot with the storm brand build. am i doing something wrong or am i just acting too offensive? maybe i need to keep more distance but overall it feels really really squishy.
in your video for Leap Slam/Earthquake Brain Rattler Slayer...you mention using a weapon like starforge however if i use a sword then shockwave is no longer available. how would you adjust?
"
I keep dying a lot with the storm brand build. am i doing something wrong or am i just acting too offensive? maybe i need to keep more distance but overall it feels really really squishy.

There is definitely a play style for this type of build and you may need to move more than you're used to as well as sniping from the edges more. There are also a lot of active skills to think about.

I had been playing tankier (and simpler) builds this league so it took quite a bit of adjustment to get to where I was dying less.

I rarely use Storm Burst because channeling gets me standing still too long. Instead I've been using WoC independently with phys to lightning. (see notes above and edit here.)

Other than movement and good offensive flask use, you really want enough EH. I'm on track for about 6500 at 90, which feels decent and is doable without expensive gear. Your chest is missing right now, so I can't tell where you are. (I have ~5900 at 85 if you want to compare.)

So short answer is that you can get to a place where you die a lot less with some practice. The damage is fun. I am killing stuff a lot faster than with any build I've done yet.

Good luck!

EDIT: I've been playing around with the Storm Burst / WoC 4L and just tried a set-up that dumps Storm Burst (for red map clearing and delve at least) in favor of WoC + Phys to Lightning + Arcane Surge + Spell Echo.

This works nicely as a defensive set-up where there are lots of packs that can hit hard; it melts them fast if they get too close. Feels safer to an old guy with less-than-perfect reflexes. Only time I am dying now is a fat finger, or forgetting a boss mechanic. Delve is also a lot cleaner (for my style) when things get crazy. (After a bunch of messing around, I think that SB+CWC+WoC and WoC on 4L have similar damage and utility. The differences are subtle and it's largely a personal preference.)

For those wanting more defense in their SB Occultist, I also played around with a Precursor Ring option with 10% chance to generate an e-charge + chance for max e-charges. An extra charge can also be added in the tree for two nodes. If you pair this with CWDT IC, you get a lot more phys mit in oops!! moments while clearing and some nice resist for ele weakness mod. The damage loss in my build is around 8% and the 1 ex cost of the ring is not cheap, but it's cheaper than some of the high dps options. The build has so much dps that this seems a viable trade-off for those wanting more defeense.

Last edited by GreyLensman on Aug 9, 2019, 7:10:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info