POE drop rates explained

"
I feel that with the game having that much of a hate boner for a single character on accident would also have the odds of letting that character just become stronger and leveled by sheer force of computer code generated will.

Like when you get punched in the gut for a year straight, you now have abs of steel... Right?

Conan - The Wheel of Pain :)
"
stuncc wrote:
Hi,

I see lots of people annoyed by the fact they dont get as many drops like someone else and/or top tier maps or exalts never drop etc...

So I decided to explain how the POE drop rate system works.

---

In order to maintain a semi healthy economy, GGG has a certain X drop rate per item per a certain time.

So for example, an exalt orb drop rate is 20 per hour (using per hour but it could be per minute)

So whoever is playing will get those 20 exalt orbs in the next hour.

---

That happens with ALL the items.

Also the most expensive and wanted items could and most likely do have a drop rate adjustment regularly, say every hour or everyday, depending on how many are active in the game or been used or been vendored etc.

---

So for example, a shavrone has a drop rate of 1 per hour with random number of sockets, 5% chance to be a 6 socket (for example).. the people that run the most maps or kill the most stuff where it can drop, with the highest rarity find % have a better chance to get it.

Understood now?

---

So if you want good drops, you pick a time to play when the least people is playing on your server, and try to kill the most stuff possible..

Yes, because quantity of stuff killed greatly outdoes rarity find % on your gear.

---

So all in all, heres how you get the most goodies in POE:

1- play when no one else is playing
2- farm fast, speed clear maps where your desired item can drop (if its unique or rare), or has a better chance to drop (if its currency)
3- get as much rarity on your gear, BUT NEVER SACRIFICE CLEAR SPEED NOR DEFENSE where its needed.

---

Good luck and enjoy!

PS: A little existent taboo is that, if you have a good internet connection, a good graphics card and processor (if your poe runs flawlessly), you will get more and better drops, but hey... ok nvm :)

Complete drivel
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"
that's what i thought, but it doesn't have anything to do with server where i play
Farm fast that is how you get drops there are people who play 2 hours a day and do 5 maps and are like "this sucks i dont get any drops im so unlucky look at those streamers getting exalts and kaoms every day" well the streamers play 16-20 hours a day and instead of 5 maps they do 200 in a day and thats how they get "lucky"
I beg you're a big Alex Jones fan.
Git R Dun!
See for every time you hug a dog you get a 5000% in drop rates see

every dog hug = 5% awesome drop rate
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
See for every time you hug a dog you get a 5000% in drop rates see

every dog hug = 5% awesome drop rate

I bet you were playing when there were 1 players online (you) and then you dropped all 5000 chaos at once, together with some exalts/mirror/shavs.

Thats at least how OP explains it.
Spreading salt since 2006
Last edited by Necromael on May 26, 2018, 8:14:02 AM
"
stuncc wrote:
Hi,

I see lots of people annoyed by the fact they dont get as many drops like someone else and/or top tier maps or exalts never drop etc...

So I decided to explain how the POE drop rate system works.

---

In order to maintain a semi healthy economy, GGG has a certain X drop rate per item per a certain time.

So for example, an exalt orb drop rate is 20 per hour (using per hour but it could be per minute)

---

That happens with ALL the items.

Also the most expensive and wanted items could and most likely do have a drop rate adjustment regularly, say every hour or everyday, depending on how many are active in the game or been used or been vendored etc.

---

So for example, a shavrone has a drop rate of 1 per hour with random number of sockets, 5% chance to be a 6 socket (for example).. the people that run the most maps or kill the most stuff where it can drop, with the highest rarity find % have a better chance to get it.

Understood now?

---

So if you want good drops, you pick a time to play when the least people is playing on your server, and try to kill the most stuff possible..

Yes, because quantity of stuff killed greatly outdoes rarity find % on your gear.

---

So all in all, heres how you get the most goodies in POE:

1- play when no one else is playing
2- farm fast, speed clear maps where your desired item can drop (if its unique or rare), or has a better chance to drop (if its currency)
3- get as much rarity on your gear, BUT NEVER SACRIFICE CLEAR SPEED NOR DEFENSE where its needed.

---

Good luck and enjoy!

PS: A little existent taboo is that, if you have a good internet connection, a good graphics card and processor (if your poe runs flawlessly), you will get more and better drops, but hey... ok nvm :)

/Fact

Spoiler
I think the only part of this post that is accurate is that things drop.
It used to be that.
And also, Chris has a button in his office. Long press = streamer on his screen gets a T1 unique. Short press = 6-link with next Fusing.

But now the system will be changed, to be based on Social Score.

Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
Morkonan wrote:
"
stuncc wrote:
...So for example, an exalt orb drop rate is 20 per hour (using per hour but it could be per minute)

Bbbut... Which hour? What time zone? If I live in North America and they use their upside-down New Zealand clocks, do I have to play upside-down? Can I just turn my clock upside down?

"
...Diablo 3 (was the rng on char creation ever a confirmed thing or just a shit rumor that people who don't understand statistics kept running with?)..

IIRC, there was "something to that" but, it wasn't "that."

However, there is an old story about an MMO where that was a very real thing. I don't remember which it was, but the story goes like this:

One of random multipliers the game would use was the internal ID of a player's character. That's easy, simple, randomly generated to begin with, and doesn't require a lot of overhead with the game cranking way at a bunch of calcs everytime a bunch of people zone into an area.

This one guy loved raiding with his friends. But, there was a problem: Everytime he was in a group with his friends, raiding a dungeon, everything in the dungeon made a beeline for him and beat the crap out of him... There was nothing they could do to stop it. They would try to fight a group of mobs and, every single time, the group of mobs would bum rush his character and pound the heck out of him until he was dead.

Every thing in every dungeon "hated him" and would prefer to curbstomp him above everyone else in the dungeon. Why?

Well, one of the things the designers did was muck around with threat generation and faction scores to determine who the mobs would attack when players were grouped. Except, there was a problem - Because of this guy's unique character ID, the algorithm that generated these threat scores would fault out and he would get... infinite threat. He was literally doomed from Level 0 to be hated by everything in that world, from lowly rats to the mightiest dragons, whenever this type of threat calculation came into play.

They eventually fixed it for him. It if had been me, I would have kept it like it was. :)

I don't remember the MMO. This was long ago. Meridian? Asheron's Call? Can't remember.

"Hey! Der's Fred!"
"Fred? FRED! I hate that guy!"
"Me hates him toos! WAAAAGH"
"WAAAAARGH"

<Fred has died.>

I think it was asheron's call that had the bug. Or everquest. The devs spent years denying that anything like that existed. Then they eventually realised a bug like that actually existed.

I remember phantasy star online : blue burst had drop tables for every race/class combination so there were some drops you could never get. This was done to force players to trade probably.

Titan quest had a seed generated at game startup so certain items would never drop depending on the seed number. This was done to make drops different every time you started the game to try and force a "hey, im getting different drops now!" feeling.

It wouldnt be too strange for drops in the game to be based on something other than pure RNG. Maybe GGG wanted to make sure the market wouldnt be flooded with a certain currency so decided to code drops to be spread out like how evasion works (to prevent long streaks causing huge spikes in the economy).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info