GGG, please remove the word supporter from future packs

Look, I don't think I am alone here when saying I've found a video game home with GGG and PoE as my main comfort/escape. Between all life's responsibilities e.g., full-time job, g/f, social life, bills and myriad others, I have always found time to play and even drop some dough for this amazing game.

Throughout my tenure since Open Beta, I've thought the idea of "Supporter Packs" was a rather endearing business practice/model. I can spend as much as I like on a game I spend thousands of hours on that is FREE to play and directly help the developer continue to create and maintain quality content. All without it being pay to win! Hell, some of the more expensive supporter packs I've purchased in the past were because I was so impressed with how GGG handled issues with the game over time and their interactions with the community. Some of that money spent was solely out of the respect for GGG's integrity and game design philosophy.

With that being said. I'm not here to protest, boycott or tell you my entitled millennial self needs this or that. I'm simply requesting that you do not insult dedicated "supporter" players like myself by continuing to call any further MX packs "Supporter Packs". Because this is simply false. The value I held in all those supprorter pack titles on my accoount do not hold as much weight any longer. If I am to purchase a supporter pack from here on out, it wouldn't have the same meaning. I would simply be handing money over for the sake of handing money over and not contributing to the betterment of the game or GGGs game design philosophy. Or at least, that's how I'd feel. The sheer fact that I spent money at all based on the integrity and morals of GGG is why a supporter pack is indeed called a "Supporter Pack". But from here on out it simply isn't so.

I'm not the best player...my characters and achievements display that. It's been a long hard road for me to get the skill level I am at in this game and I kept at the grind. Becuase I, like many others, respected the values and morals of GGG as to the direction of the game. It's such a shame that GGG seems to have forgotten it's roots in that love of the grind and have essentially RMT'd the gaming industry instead of grinding it out to get loot.

I will definitley continue to play this amazing game and I am excited for future content. I will probably still buy some of the yet to come MXs, but I will never buy a "Supporter Pack" ever again if they are contiued to be marketed as such.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT - My main point here is that the feeling elicited by supporting GGG via purchasing "Supporter Packs"
was that we were supporting them continue to develop the game and keep GGG's doors open. Now that is not the case and they no longer need our support...they have Tencent's open wallat.

Last edited by iron_Faust on May 21, 2018, 5:57:10 PM
Last bumped on May 23, 2018, 1:46:50 AM
I suggested "Addict Pack", but something more positive would also get my vote... if we get a vote that is. I don't think we do anymore.
What about "Great value league pack"
Something that could not be said about current one :^))))))))))))) and 3 more chins )))
purchasing pack, because thats what you're doing, you're purchasing what MTX is in that pack.

if you wanna be all virtue signaling and say you all spent money to support them as a company and blah blah, and you don't have the alpha tag, i basically don't believe you. lol

im not opposed to them renaming the packs, because "supporter" pack was always kinda bullshit. it just sounds nice and makes you feel a part of something
The true is, now that the big majority of the suporters will not suport game anymore because of the lost of the feeling of suporting(and i agree with that feeling), they GGG and Tencent will obviously have to make the game not free anymore.

Its just so easy to see the end of free to play on poe.
Ehh, it is still benefiting those that actually create the game. The developers and such that work on the game are paid to do so no matter who owns the majority share of the company. The main issue with this business model is if everyone stops purchasing items and packs as a form of boycott, the ones that get hurt are the developers and other employees who are not major shareholders in the company. The major shareholders already made their bank.

So I understand what people are saying, but you end up hurting the wrong people.

Second since this game does not cost to play, at its base level. Technically the only way for them to make money is the account/mtx/packs purchases. That hasn't changed. That is why I always laugh at the idea of a "free to play" game. Because if no ones purchases anything it goes away.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
"
xMustard wrote:
purchasing pack, because thats what you're doing, you're purchasing what MTX is in that pack.

if you wanna be all virtue signaling and say you all spent money to support them as a company and blah blah, and you don't have the alpha tag, i basically don't believe you. lol

im not opposed to them renaming the packs, because "supporter" pack was always kinda bullshit. it just sounds nice and makes you feel a part of something

So you have to be an alpha member to belong to the "club" i guess huh? Those of us who started the game just after it officially launched are just pretenders? Jesus you are stupid.
"
iron_Faust wrote:
Look, I don't think I am alone here when saying I've found a video game home with GGG and PoE as my main comfort/escape. Between all life's responsibilities e.g., full-time job, g/f, social life, bills and myriad others, I have always found time to play and even drop some dough for this amazing game.

Throughout my tenure since Open Beta, I've thought the idea of "Supporter Packs" was a rather endearing business practice/model. I can spend as much as I like on a game I spend thousands of hours on that is FREE to play and directly help the developer continue to create and maintain quality content. All without it being pay to win! Hell, some of the more expensive supporter packs I've purchased in the past were because I was so impressed with how GGG handled issues with the game over time and their interactions with the community. Some of that money spent was solely out of the respect for GGG's integrity and game design philosophy.

With that being said. I'm not here to protest, boycott or tell you my entitled millennial self needs this or that. I'm simply requesting that you do not insult dedicated "supporter" players like myself by continuing to call any further MX packs "Supporter Packs". Because this is simply false. The value I held in all those supprorter pack titles on my accoount do not hold as much weight any longer. If I am to purchase a supporter pack from here on out, it wouldn't have the same meaning. I would simply be handing money over for the sake of handing money over and not contributing to the betterment of the game or GGGs game design philosophy. Or at least, that's how I'd feel. The sheer fact that I spent money at all based on the integrity and morals of GGG is why a supporter pack is indeed called a "Supporter Pack". But from here on out it simply isn't so.

I'm not the best player...my characters and achievements display that. It's been a long hard road for me to get the skill level I am at in this game and I kept at the grind. Becuase I, like many others, respected the values and morals of GGG as to the direction of the game. It's such a shame that GGG seems to have forgotten it's roots in that love of the grind and have essentially RMT'd the gaming industry instead of grinding it out to get loot.

I will definitley continue to play this amazing game and I am excited for future content. I will probably still buy some of the yet to come MXs, but I will never buy a "Supporter Pack" ever again if they are contiued to be marketed as such.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT - My main point here is that the feeling elicited by supporting GGG via purchasing "Supporter Packs"
was that we were supporting them continue to develop the game and keep GGG's doors open. Now that is not the case and they no longer need our support...they have Tencent's open wallat.

Your point is well made, but overshadowed by the futility of it -- unless it was rhetorical, then well played.

Changing the packs to something other than what they are now would be an admission that things have changed, and are going to change. It is highly likely their marketing and communications strategy is largely get in front of it, pretend that it is a big nothing burger and move on like nothing happened.

I agree with your point though. In spite of some folks stating "you bought MTX and points", a large portion of the money I spent was specifically because I like the game, highly respected the developer and wanted more to come. Two of those three things remain (for now), but the missing factor was certainly the part that made me spend the most money. It now feels like supporting E Corp; which doesn't have the same shimmer to it.
Last edited by Nubatron on May 21, 2018, 8:22:23 PM
But you're still supporting GGG when you buy supporter packs...
If nobody buys anything because they don't want a chinese company to touch any of GGG's money then you are only hurting GGG. Tencent already bought their shares, maybe there's a case for lowering prices because people like you don't feel like they are supporting GGG as personally as before, but as as long as the game is progressing as it is now i'm fine with supporting it.

"
We retain full control of Path of Exile and will only make changes that we feel are best for the game.
Ying Yang pack sound more Chinese. Best way to get more Asia to play.
If I go first, I'll wait for you in the other side of the dark water.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info