GGG, please remove the word supporter from future packs

"
orsonstfu wrote:
So, if you had a sweet college GF who was trying to be a supermodel. You support her and love her throughout college and into life.... Then it happens....she makes it to the "big time" on her back... You would still support and love her since she obviously must take the "on her back" path to success - right?

lol totally the same thing! good job.
"
iron_Faust wrote:

EDIT - My main point here is that the feeling elicited by supporting GGG via purchasing "Supporter Packs"
was that we were supporting them continue to develop the game and keep GGG's doors open. Now that is not the case and they no longer need our support...they have Tencent's open wallat.

What about..

Charity Packs

Feed Our Children Packs

You're Such a Great Person Packs

Buy Our Matches or We'll Freeze to Death in the Snow Packs

They're named that way for the reason you suspect - To make you feel "good" while handing over your money.

It's a sort of cheap, manipulative, thing, but there may have truly been good intentions when they first decided upon that naming scheme. Now, it's just sort of annoying. League packs should just be "League Pack" and the true "Supporter Packs," which cost a bit more, should retain their name as that is exactly their intent.
"
Special wrote:
But you're still supporting GGG when you buy supporter packs

People refuse to see this. They hear "China" and "big corporation", and believe every dime they support PoE/GGG with, ends up in some Chinese guy's pocket, and not used on the new league.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
[insert-any-league / expansion] Supporter Pack.

--> [insert-any-league / expansion] bronze / silver / gold - premium access.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
We bought packs because we wanted more stash tabs/storage and we wanted funky portals. The 'supporter' part comes from us not blinking from the ridiculous prices they were charging. I would never dump $60 on few in game items for any other game I've played, I just didn't mind so much because it genuinely felt like I was supporting GGG. It was my way of saying 'I like what you're doing, here's some money'

I think what most people are saying is that the feeling has gone, it's not that they're being emo and throwing their toys out of the pram.

However, they must have known a lot of people would respond this way so I'm expecting to see them drop the prices so low we won't be able to say no, and from now on they're going for volume rather than whales.

I am not sure what I am missing here.

Supporter packs were packs that helped to support GGG and PoE.

With the tencent acquisition, this hasn't changed. Tencent isn't suddenly funding everything for free and going 'your revenue can become zero, np'. Poe and GGG still need revenue to continue to function. Your supporter pack money isn't going to Tencent, its going to GGG. That's just how it works. At the end of the quarter/year based on the PROFIT GGG make, Tencent will get 80% of that. They don't just step in and go 'you donated 60$? we'll take 48 now please'. In reality, assuming GGG makes like 5-10% profit overall, tencent will get 80% of that. So roughly 4.8$ on your 60$ overall. 55.2$ still went to the company you've supported all these years and the game you've supported all these years.

But in every way you are supporting a game you enjoy and a dev company you like. The devs in GGG with the exception of Chris + 1-2 others are not earning any extra because of the tencent acquisition. They are still very much reliant on our support (and yes, its still support) to get their salaries.

Now if you were still under the belief that GGG was an indie company and were supporting as a sort of donation, then yes, things have changed. Personally, i don't believe GGG has been an underdog indie company for a while now.

My purchases will continue for as long as PoE is a fun game to me. If Tencent jumps in and starts making changes I disagree with, then i'll discontinue purchasing, but no matter what, I am still def supporting PoE (easily the best ARPG in the market right now and responsible for giving me a TON of playtime).

~Myth
Last edited by Mythkiller on May 22, 2018, 4:54:03 AM
"
Special wrote:
If nobody buys anything because they don't want a chinese company to touch any of GGG's money then you are only hurting GGG.

"
Mythkiller wrote:
With the tencent acquisition, this hasn't changed. Tencent isn't suddenly funding everything for free and going 'your revenue can become zero, np'. Poe and GGG still need revenue to continue to function. Your supporter pack money isn't going to Tencent, its going to GGG. That's just how it works.

ggg no longer exists. There is nothing left to support except for the automatons that now work to enrich a megacorp that is used as nothing but a funnel to enrich the rulers of the Chinese state.

The artist formally known as ggg needs to find a new source of revenue.
I wish you good social credit in the scores to come.
Last edited by Snailmail on May 22, 2018, 5:49:38 AM
"
Snailmail wrote:
"
Special wrote:
If nobody buys anything because they don't want a chinese company to touch any of GGG's money then you are only hurting GGG.

"
Mythkiller wrote:
With the tencent acquisition, this hasn't changed. Tencent isn't suddenly funding everything for free and going 'your revenue can become zero, np'. Poe and GGG still need revenue to continue to function. Your supporter pack money isn't going to Tencent, its going to GGG. That's just how it works.

ggg no longer exists. There is nothing left to support except for the automatons that now work to enrich a megacorp that is used as nothing but a funnel to enrich the rulers of the Chinese state.

The artist formally known as ggg needs to find a new source of revenue.

You're welcome to that opinion. As far as I can see, PoE (the game I support) still exists with none of the 'end of the world is coming' features people are worried about and hey, look at that, is launching new content in 10 days. So I'll play and support that game I love, as my choice.

~Myth
Call it, the Templeton Pack.

With a smile.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
I've watched too much Silicon Valley lately to read the Announcement without a grain of salt and some reservations. I guess we'll see.

The Announcement will be interesting to look back on, No doubt we will be able to say "yes it was all there for us to see at the time".

No plans to stop playing or buying the odd shiny MTX and stash tab but yes, I would like to see the word "supporter" gone too. I love MTX and tabs, but a big (at those prices!) chunk of that was always to support GGG. Now, GGG is a label and the company is TenCent. Not supporting that, in the same spirit.

I do hope that the prices drop on MTX too, now that there's so many players and all and GGG (as we knew it) isn't struggling to make it big.

Well done, GGG (in the original sense), on making it big and good luck!

Last edited by erdelyii on May 22, 2018, 8:45:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info