[3.3, Build-of-the-week] Stored Lightning Bolt - CantripN's Lightning Trapper.

"
CantripN wrote:
"
Anuwiel wrote:
Why are you using brightbeak ? I don't see the use of it. Is it only for the attack speed so you can dash faster ?

Yes, "Only" that. "Only" the fastest movement skill in the game.

What's the downside? Does it look like I lack DPS even then for clearing?

Well i wouldn't say that. i just wanted to know, because right now i'm struggling in white maps lol. (i'm gettin' randomly one shot) So i was looking for new weapons. Since i have no idea what item i should buy first beside the chest. I would say it's not an easy starter. What kind of mods we're looking for on rare wands ?

Spell / lightning damage, added spell damage + crit chance / multiplier ? Is cast speed good for us ?
"
Anuwiel wrote:
"
CantripN wrote:
"
Anuwiel wrote:
Why are you using brightbeak ? I don't see the use of it. Is it only for the attack speed so you can dash faster ?

Yes, "Only" that. "Only" the fastest movement skill in the game.

What's the downside? Does it look like I lack DPS even then for clearing?

Well i wouldn't say that. i just wanted to know, because right now i'm struggling in white maps lol. (i'm gettin' randomly one shot) So i was looking for new weapons. Since i have no idea what item i should buy first beside the chest. I would say it's not an easy starter. What kind of mods we're looking for on rare wands ?

Spell / lightning damage, added spell damage + crit chance / multiplier ? Is cast speed good for us ?

Until you get Shimmerons, no point using a wands. Go with a Scepter + Dagger combo and have Whirling Blades, or Sceptre/Dagger + Shield and have Shield Charge.

You want Lightning/Spell/Elemental Damage, Crit Chance, Crit Multi, Flat Lightning to Spells, Elemental Penetration, % of Elemental added as Chaos. Obviously you can't get all of those realistically, but those are the things to look out for.
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
Hey i was wondering if it wouldnt make sense to use GMP for the single target?
I mean its 4 additional projectiles which in a perfect world would be 400% MORE dmg. Calculate that wtih the ~30% less dmg ure still talking 200% MORE dmg for 1 support gem which would be insane.
Am i missing something like ball lightning cant overlap or some shit?
"
DrSlaughter wrote:
I mean its 4 additional projectiles which in a perfect world would be 400% MORE dmg. Calculate that wtih the ~30% less dmg ure still talking 200% MORE dmg for 1 support gem which would be insane.

Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support and Greater Multiple Projectiles Support increase the number of projectiles, and thus the area of effect. However, since a target cannot be hit more than once within 200 ms, it cannot be used to "shotgun" the target by hitting them with multiple projectiles at once, leading to a possible DPS loss.

Source: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ball_Lightning

Each trap is a separate cast, so those are fine, even when you use Cluster Traps. Think of LMP/GMP as a "Less Damage + More AoE" sort of thing, which is why Dying Sun is a huge boost to effective AoE with no DPS loss.

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
Last edited by CantripN on May 7, 2018, 10:46:03 AM
aight already figured this was prolly the case. ty for confirmation :)
Heya I'm following your build with the exception of Arc Traps instead of Lightning Trap. Ive just picked up Lightpoacher and Darkness enthroned giving me a total of 3 abyss jewels. Stats panel says 0/3 Spirit Charges, But I am unable to gain charges.

Is this a bug or something you worked around? Currently in softcore flaskback.

Cheers
"
Lynxdragon wrote:
Heya I'm following your build with the exception of Arc Traps instead of Lightning Trap. Ive just picked up Lightpoacher and Darkness enthroned giving me a total of 3 abyss jewels. Stats panel says 0/3 Spirit Charges, But I am unable to gain charges.

Is this a bug or something you worked around? Currently in softcore flaskback.

Cheers

No bug. Take a good close look at WHEN you GAIN charges ;)

Lightpoacher should be seen as an 80+ Life, 15% all res, 4-6 damage mods helmet.

Last edited by CantripN on May 7, 2018, 6:46:37 PM
Decided to roll this in flash back and its pretty fun. Only up to T5ish maps / lvl 79 but I one shot everything still. Not sure when I'll be able to afford Shimmerons.

Leveling kind of sucks unless you get a Mirebough and just level as basically ball lightning trap until higher levels. Got lucky 5 linking my Tinker with just a few fusings.

Great build.

Enjoy Aspect of the Spider while you can in the Race ;)

It seems GGG isn't keeping Beastiary, so Aspects are probably gone from our lives. A bit of a shame, that. Not beasts, that's meh at best, I just liked the Aspect and some of the uniques. I expect we'll see at least that part come back soon.

Replace with either Herald of Thunder or Arctic Armour for next league.

Last edited by CantripN on May 7, 2018, 8:35:09 PM
"
CantripN wrote:
"
DrSlaughter wrote:

Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support and Greater Multiple Projectiles Support increase the number of projectiles, and thus the area of effect. However, since a target cannot be hit more than once within 200 ms, it cannot be used to "shotgun" the target by hitting them with multiple projectiles at once, leading to a possible DPS loss.

Source: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ball_Lightning

Each trap is a separate cast, so those are fine, even when you use Cluster Traps. Think of LMP/GMP as a "Less Damage + More AoE" sort of thing, which is why Dying Sun is a huge boost to effective AoE with no DPS loss.

Yeah, I'm not following that logic. Either the "wiki" data is out of date or it's being misconstrued.

Enemies certainly can be hit more often than once every 200ms , otherwise it would be absolutely pointless to have more than 5 attacks per second.

It also means that cluster traps would also be useless ( especially with sabo ), since having multiple traps triggering at once would be the same exact effect as a gmp. It would also have crippled Golemancer builds that depend on flame golems; and barrage builds would have never gotten off the ground.

I think what actually has to be pointed out is that lmp / gmp effects have their own hidden stipulations in place that prevent shotgunning, something GGG introduced years back. And since none of the other things that would trigger this "200ms" prevention actually trigger it, I think that supports the notion it only applies to effects that create "fanned out" projectiles.

------

On a personal note, I never understood why GGG put in the anti-shotgun trigger to begin with, especially since it only applies to fanned projectiles. It would have been a vastly better idea to just reduce the damage on those particular skills ( as if they aren't already heavily penalized from the gems themselves ).

Considering how crazy clearspeed has become following the change, having them all follow proper physics would have helped curb that by making it so you do the most damage from overlapping hits, rather than just hitting everything equally. Yeah, single target damage would be easier to get ...but with that comes the bigger risk of getting killed from having to get closer to bosses and their mechanics to overlap damage. Where instead today people can just off screen kill everything with impunity.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info