Is there a way to report scammer?

Yep, you got scammed. But that fucker made off like a bandit and you probably won't see him or her again.

That's the lesson bit, sadly. The reality that there won't be any justice in this case. And that it was partially your fault for 'allowing' yourself to be scammed. It's part of why I don't trade much. I'm crazy gullible and super lazy. Hell, people don't need to scam me out of my shit -- I've been known to just delete it on a whim. Oh, I don't play Standard anymore, these characters can go, they're not worth anything.

...And of course they were wearing a bunch of alt-art shit from early races.

So OP, as dumb as you might let yourself feel for being duped, and as much of a shithead that person was for doing it, just want you to know there are far dumber people around here, and when it comes to PoE, I'm about ten of them.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
"
First off, it's absolutely a scam. It's a perfect example of a "bait and switch", probably the oldest scam there is. Just because it's easily avoidable in-game doesn't mean it's any less of a scam, and the perpetrator any less of a jerk for doing it. I'm not sure why the community here keeps insisting it's not a scam when it clearly is.

the fault is entirely on ggg's side.

the game started being a harsh environment, exile against exile, best one wins. ggg smiled.

it encouraged party play with no loot allocation (cause there was none implemented), players snatched items from other players when they bounced because of a full inventory. ggg smiled, yep it's a game from hardcore players for hardcore players.

they did races with pvp where players killed each other and robbed their loot, the bigger the group that hunted a single player, the better.

players used bugs that did friendly fire to kill each other, ggg smiled an pointed to the option to legally kill other players in bandit quests.

players traded loot by dropping their share on the ground and run to the other guys place, the faster player got both parts of the share. ggg smiled.

they didn't really provide options to save one's portals, encouraging invading other players maps. and smiled.

instead of having each player it's own cadiro deal, they made it a shared one so players competed for the deals. ggg smiled and didn't change a thing.

###

then .... suddenly ... they posted that they banned players for scamming in the past. whoooot? why? where? whom? and what's a scam??? ggg smiled and kept silent since. the message basically was: "be nice"?

what?

you understand where longterm players are coming from? i mean every "deal" you make trading with other players is a direct result of abusing other players lacking knowledge.

what is a simple swap of items in the trade window against this? it's simply a attention check, nothing more.

disclaimer: i rather help people than trying to trick them.

"
cronus wrote:
"
First off, it's absolutely a scam. It's a perfect example of a "bait and switch", probably the oldest scam there is. Just because it's easily avoidable in-game doesn't mean it's any less of a scam, and the perpetrator any less of a jerk for doing it. I'm not sure why the community here keeps insisting it's not a scam when it clearly is.

- snip -

what is a simple swap of items in the trade window against this? it's simply a attention check, nothing more.

Sure it's GGG's fault, but this is their game we all are playing.

Offering one item and then swapping it out for a different cheaper item is clearly a bait-and-switch, a scam. There's not a lot to think about there. "Attention check", my ass. There may be other behaviors less clear, but this isn't one of them.
- here's my sig
People are flooding for a 16 vaaled map. I can say 2c each for service and then leave? GGG is considering this to be okay?
"
"
cronus wrote:
"

- snip -

Sure it's GGG's fault, but this is their game we all are playing.

Offering one item and then swapping it out for a different cheaper item is clearly a bait-and-switch, a scam. There's not a lot to think about there. "Attention check", my ass. There may be other behaviors less clear, but this isn't one of them.

this game is full of possibilities to manipulate other players, just have a look at the economy and people manipulating prices.

it ever needed some tech implemented (like the trading screen that fixed "drop trading") to fix those issues.

so complaining about the players who abuse the missing tech is moot. because ggg smiles at them. and hopefully codes solutions for better player interaction and, for example, support "services" ingame, another source of anger, hate and dissatisfaction.

it's a free to play game, people who want to scam open new accounts with throwaway emails and level chars to maps in 8 hours to scam. there is no way to stop them by banning them.

banning can only hurt one type of player: ggg's supporters. and for them, scamming is mostly too risky cause they have something (mtx) to lose.

"
cronus wrote:

this game is full of possibilities to manipulate other players, just have a look at the economy and people manipulating prices.

it ever needed some tech implemented (like the trading screen that fixed "drop trading") to fix those issues.

so complaining about the players who abuse the missing tech is moot. because ggg smiles at them. and hopefully codes solutions for better player interaction and, for example, support "services" ingame, another source of anger, hate and dissatisfaction.

it's a free to play game, people who want to scam open new accounts with throwaway emails and level chars to maps in 8 hours to scam. there is no way to stop them by banning them.

banning can only hurt one type of player: ggg's supporters. and for them, scamming is mostly too risky cause they have something (mtx) to lose.

I'm not advocating that GGG go around banning people who are accused of scamming. That's a losing game for everybody involved. I'm simply saying (mainly to the OP) that players *do* scam, but that it's the players' responsibility to avoid the scam attempts (which the trade interface allows one to do, in the case of bait-and-switch) or accept the risks of potential scams (in the case of paying currency for services).

I don't believe that GGG "smiles" at scammers, nor do I think they condone them. But I think they feel they've created an environment of risk/reward that they're happy with. For the moment, at least. GGG also has a habit of quietly working on fixes and then surprising the community with them (like they did for de-sync, which they claimed for a long time was unfixable).

I personally think that the trade "system" here in PoE is by far the worst aspect of the game, and there are probably dozens of ways to make it better. I don't think GGG is done working on the trade system. But in the meantime, scammers will scam, and buyers need to beware. And stop crying to GGG when an easily avoidable situation happens.
- here's my sig
"

However, to the OP, there is no recourse here, because GGG gave you your opportunity to verify that the trade was legit and you did it (by hovering over the item before accepting the trade). How can they possibly tell the difference between an actual bait-and-switch and simple buyer's remorse?

You just need to be more careful. Caveat emptor. Go on with life.

I pretty much agree with everything in this post.

I would also like to add that everyone claiming that this is *not* a scam has probably scammed someone this way and doesn't want their feelings hurt by being called a scammer. You dirty, worthless, fucking scammers.

I've never been tricked by this method, but I have had people *try* to use it on me, and the correct way to characterize that is "they tried to scam me [but failed]". In this case, they succeeded at scamming OP, and now OP knows about this particular form of scam and will be more careful in the future.
Last edited by codetaku on Jan 6, 2018, 7:23:38 PM
"
codetaku wrote:
I would also like to add that everyone claiming that this is *not* a scam has probably scammed someone this way and doesn't want their feelings hurt

stop watching captain america, there's more to the world than "good" and "bad".

m-(
"
cronus wrote:
"
codetaku wrote:
I would also like to add that everyone claiming that this is *not* a scam has probably scammed someone this way and doesn't want their feelings hurt

m-(

He's not wrong, it is a scam, an easy to detect scam , but a scam nevertheless. It relies on a player in a rush that does not check the stats he whispered for. That's why scammers go for conspicuous items like jewels looking similar/5l-6L stuff. You will never see someone attempt that with currency since it would not work.
"
andreicde wrote:
"
cronus wrote:
"
codetaku wrote:

m-(

He's not wrong, it is a scam, an easy to detect scam , but a scam nevertheless. It relies on a player in a rush that does not check the stats he whispered for. That's why scammers go for conspicuous items like jewels looking similar/5l-6L stuff. You will never see someone attempt that with currency since it would not work.

of course it's a scam. the thing is: it's a competitional thing. if you see exchanging items as a scam because the buying player didn't check properly you can also see someone buying an underpriced item as a scam because the selling player was just too stupid to check prices properly.

the question is: what level of competition does ggg want.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info