Frame rate stuttering since 3.1

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/7kkmpl/low_fps_while_screen_is_full_of_action_why_gtx/drfd82m/

This is the only thing that has helped me so far. I suggest doing the local exe one.
IGN: Nano
"
NanoDestiny wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/7kkmpl/low_fps_while_screen_is_full_of_action_why_gtx/drfd82m/

This is the only thing that has helped me so far. I suggest doing the local exe one.

I did that a few days ago and it hasn't helped that I've noticed still horrible framerate in combat.
Last edited by Demic on Dec 18, 2017, 8:08:52 PM
"
Demic wrote:
"
NanoDestiny wrote:

I did that a few days ago and it hasn't helped that I've noticed still horrible framerate in combat.

Same. Actually leading me to quit the HC league. I really wish optimization brought in revenue so they would focus on it.
Game now goes through an innumerable amount of caching since the patch, compared to previous ones.

I run with 8 gigs, which is more than enough for the game, yet for some inconceivable reason the game feels the need to burn through my HD cache space. I don't think the game is dumping old memory like it is suppose to, so it just keeps piling it on instead, like a memory leak.

This leads to a ton of pauses / stuttering, and increased loading, especially when running into new assets / zones.
"
JoeShmo wrote:
Game now goes through an innumerable amount of caching since the patch, compared to previous ones.

I run with 8 gigs, which is more than enough for the game, yet for some inconceivable reason the game feels the need to burn through my HD cache space. I don't think the game is dumping old memory like it is suppose to, so it just keeps piling it on instead, like a memory leak.

This leads to a ton of pauses / stuttering, and increased loading, especially when running into new assets / zones.

Noticed I was using 8gigs out of my 16 last night as well.

Edit:

As of right now:

If someone from GGG could actually look into your game's performance that would be fantastic.

Last edited by lif44 on Dec 19, 2017, 1:31:25 AM
https://imgur.com/w6cC3dJ

Playing with these kinds of drops constantly has made the game insanely rustrating and barely worth playing for me at the moment.. Please fix this stuff GGG :'(
Disabling C-State in the BIOS did it for me...
I have a i7-8700k with a GTX 1080 TI and had huge fps spikes all the time, from 165 fps (G-Sync) to 25 fps.

Now it spikes from 165 to 100~ at worst (usually stays over 160) in a map with ground effect and lots of spell going on (I play Kinetic Blast)

Edit: Also want to mention that my CPU usage was at around 14% and GPU usage at around 30% before disabling C-State... Now CPU runs at over 30-40% and GPU at 70-80%.
Last edited by Kadryel on Dec 19, 2017, 9:39:04 AM
Similar problems here. When I cyclone through big mob packs my fps drops from 100+ to 10-30. If you add to that abysses it goes to 5-20.

Even if its just a single mob and i 1-hit it with cyclone the fps still drops down to 30 fps for a moment (and it is noticable). That shouldn't happen. Game is unplayable at the moment.

Clean reinstalled nvidia drivers yesterday - didn't help (probably made things worse). Trying reinstalling PoE now.
In one of the million other threads about the same issue, someone noted that disabling their loot filter reduced significantly the FPS "stutter" effect. It is probably worth testing that when y'all are experiencing the same thing, and see if it makes a difference.
"
Kadryel wrote:
Disabling C-State in the BIOS did it for me...
I have a i7-8700k with a GTX 1080 TI and had huge fps spikes all the time, from 165 fps (G-Sync) to 25 fps.

Now it spikes from 165 to 100~ at worst (usually stays over 160) in a map with ground effect and lots of spell going on (I play Kinetic Blast)

Edit: Also want to mention that my CPU usage was at around 14% and GPU usage at around 30% before disabling C-State... Now CPU runs at over 30-40% and GPU at 70-80%.

I'd give some serious thought to looking at both the Windows power management plan, and at the cooling on your processor, with what you describe.

Basically, disabling C-state use means you stopped the processor reducing power use, by slowing down or shutting down parts of itself. Returning from those is something on the order of 10us to 150us depending how deep the C-state was, so ... if that is significantly influencing your performance, that seems very odd. (Especially because, in normal conditions, only C1 or C2 will be used when there is stuff for the CPU to actually be doing.)

At 165FPS you have 6.1 microseconds per frame; at 25 you have 40. To see that, even with the seriously deep C-state transitions, they would need to be happening 3,390 times each frame. That is, the software, firmware, and hardware all got together and decided that there was so little CPU work to do they should park the core in the deepest and most energy efficient sleep state more than three thousand times every frame, and around 85,000 times a second.

That does not really sound ... either likely, and most definitely, not normal. So, check out those power plan settings, and check if what you have done is forced the CPU and OS to avoid some of the thermal control measures they were taking - in which case they will hit more aggressive thermal protections, at some point.

(It is also possible that a BIOS update would help you out here: a firmware bug with management of those power states could be responsible.)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info