Frame rate stuttering since 3.1

"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
"
Kadryel wrote:
Disabling C-State in the BIOS did it for me...
I have a i7-8700k with a GTX 1080 TI and had huge fps spikes all the time, from 165 fps (G-Sync) to 25 fps.

Now it spikes from 165 to 100~ at worst (usually stays over 160) in a map with ground effect and lots of spell going on (I play Kinetic Blast)

Edit: Also want to mention that my CPU usage was at around 14% and GPU usage at around 30% before disabling C-State... Now CPU runs at over 30-40% and GPU at 70-80%.

I'd give some serious thought to looking at both the Windows power management plan, and at the cooling on your processor, with what you describe.

Basically, disabling C-state use means you stopped the processor reducing power use, by slowing down or shutting down parts of itself. Returning from those is something on the order of 10us to 150us depending how deep the C-state was, so ... if that is significantly influencing your performance, that seems very odd. (Especially because, in normal conditions, only C1 or C2 will be used when there is stuff for the CPU to actually be doing.)

At 165FPS you have 6.1 microseconds per frame; at 25 you have 40. To see that, even with the seriously deep C-state transitions, they would need to be happening 3,390 times each frame. That is, the software, firmware, and hardware all got together and decided that there was so little CPU work to do they should park the core in the deepest and most energy efficient sleep state more than three thousand times every frame, and around 85,000 times a second.

That does not really sound ... either likely, and most definitely, not normal. So, check out those power plan settings, and check if what you have done is forced the CPU and OS to avoid some of the thermal control measures they were taking - in which case they will hit more aggressive thermal protections, at some point.

(It is also possible that a BIOS update would help you out here: a firmware bug with management of those power states could be responsible.)

I'm fairly new to all this c-state stuff, but I probably can assume that my cooling is fine since it never goes over 75C according to MSI Afterburner... My Windows management plan is at hight performance and all my cores should be in use, since they aren't "parked".

I haven't tried to update my BIOS yet though... maybe that's it?
"
Kadryel wrote:
I'm fairly new to all this c-state stuff, but I probably can assume that my cooling is fine since it never goes over 75C according to MSI Afterburner... My Windows management plan is at hight performance and all my cores should be in use, since they aren't "parked".

I haven't tried to update my BIOS yet though... maybe that's it?

You shouldn't even need to think about the C-state stuff, it should be pretty much invisible. By design; it's basically a cooling and power reduction thing done by the CPU. A BIOS update may help - sadly, everyone has a hand in exactly how C-state use happens, in part because a laptop wants to be way more aggressive with them (longer battery life) than a desktop, etc.

More aggressive use can certainly reduce overall performance, just ... to get the FPS drop you report, that kinda goes from aggressive to ridiculous, which is why I suspect they are not the actual cause of the problem. Of course, I'm just guessing to some degree, playing the odds on what is likely to cause the problem.

Try updating afterburner, then ensuring it is not running at all, and see if you still have the problems with FPS, hrm?
Can we just state the obvious here? It`s 100% because of the game.

Since i had absolutely 0 problems with 10 breaches in a map few weeks ago, and that was with freezing pulse and 56935 herald of ice shatters. And now with 3 tornado shots and 0 elemental damage it drops to 30 fps constantly. And with anything regarding graphics set to low or off.

p.s. every time i trigger abyss cracks fps goes to shit. It`s a 60/30 clusterfuck.

Oh and dynamic resolution doesn`t seem to do anything

Just re-installed windows 10, all updates, re-installed PoE

i7 960M 16gb SSD

Awesome league and all. Too bad it`s barely playable
Last edited by LaurelWreaths on Dec 19, 2017, 1:58:44 PM
"
LaurelWreaths wrote:
Can we just state the obvious here? It`s 100% because of the game.

Since i had absolutely 0 problems with 10 breaches in a map few weeks ago, and that was with freezing pulse and 56935 herald of ice shatters. And now with 3 tornado shots and 0 elemental damage it drops to 30 fps constantly. And with anything regarding graphics set to low or off.

p.s. every time i trigger abyss cracks fps goes to shit. It`s a 60/30 clusterfuck.

Oh and dynamic resolution doesn`t seem to do anything

Just re-installed windows 10, all updates, re-installed PoE

i7 960M 16gb SSD

Awesome league and all. Too bad it`s barely playable

Yep, I've tried everything. Game worked fine last patch, runs like crap now. The only thing that changed was the game.

There are all these posts and threads from people and yet others still insist on giving the same "advice" of updating drivers, changing settings, etc. That's not it. A problem this widespread can only be on GGGs end.

They refuse to even acknowledge it so far.
Same boat, seems the MO is to keep quiet about it and hopefully it fixes its self driving away more players etc.
Same problem with FPS drops on hit/cast. Just testing poe and figure out that my problem is any sources of life leech (blood rage, passives, etc.). Someone with similar fps drops can check it and share the results?

My PC config is:
-Windows 10 (1709)
-CPU FX-9370
-GPU R9 290
-RAM Corsair 8GB
-SSD OCZ Vertex 3
-Temperatures are fine.

With life leech

Without life leech
Last edited by RagingSpirit on Dec 20, 2017, 3:05:21 PM
A user mentioned in another thread that it could be something to do with new corpse mechanics as it happens mainly in combat (mobs dying and making a corpse).

Can people still having fps issues confirm its when they kill a monster it occurs (not corpse spawning with desecrate but actually killing mobs) preferably in maps where the density of corpses would be quite higher than normal.

Edit: Follow up question, do you notice the fps drops when doing abyss more often than normal content specifically when monsters have spirit charges?
Last edited by lif44 on Dec 20, 2017, 7:42:20 PM
for me 3.1 is FPS not friendly.

the best we can do is
" IS WAIT ( FOREVER MAY BE )" no reply from official GGG since it is holiday season.

you got a better help from other players and other techy people in Reddit. mostly i tweaked a lot of settings the sudden increase in FPS and stuttering really does happen , high and low end graphic settings.

it is a free game anyway, thus they dont have a credit on 3d engine eg Unreal engine or capable 3d devs , SO dont EXPECT TOO MUCH.

I started this thread just a few days after the patch. Everything is running much better for me now although I do still get stuttering. It has been running well for a few days now so I am comfortable saying it with certainty this time. The only changes I have made are that I play in fullscreen now and I turned on predictive mode. Predictive mode is amazing (for me personally it has been at least). I do not think it was latency issues causing my original problems but latency has caused stuttering for me in the past. This solved that for me (with very minimal desync).

The main things that cause lowered fps and stuttering are the new abyss mechanics/monsters. Even when they are dead on the ground it still causes a pretty big drop in frame rate. Also fire,ice and desecrated ground still cause fps drops as well. There should be an option to lower the quality of those effects. That would solve a lot of issues. It would be nice if we could lower the quality of other peoples MTX as well so I would not have issues while playing with other people. At this point I never play the game with other people because of performance issues. While soloing ,however, the game is running pretty well for me again. I am pretty happy as I have created the best character I've ever made.
"Hello there,

Thanks for contacting us about this, and for letting us know.

I am truly sorry, but I'm afraid we're unable to assist further with this issue at this time, as our Customer Support department is currently overwhelmed with several thousand requests for support. I would recommend posting this on our Technical Support subforum, to see whether other players may be able to provide some assistance: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/support

I'm sorry we can't be of further assistance at this time.

Kind regards,
Rachel"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info