Frame rate stuttering since 3.1

So has anyone else seen a major improvement? It was so bad for me just a couple days ago and I was also suddenly getting an issue that was just as strange. My frame rate was locking at 30fps sometimes for some reason. I have 2 monitors and I have read that that can cause strange issues sometimes. Anyway, I switched to a DVI cable for my second monitor instead of the HDMI cable I was using. I have no idea if that changed anything but for some reason my game is back running just as smooth as it has been the past 3 leagues. I suspect something was changed in one of the 2 patches we have gotten since Monday. I am back at 60 fps steady (most of the time). I still get drops in the same areas I used to like maps that have fire ground everywhere but that has always been like that. Hope all of you that posted in this thread have seen improvement as well. I would be very interested to know if you have. Either way thanks a lot for letting me know it was not just me.
Try to use --waitforpreload and disable VSync if you have it enabled. For some reason this fixed the unstable frame rate introduced in 3.1 for me.
Same here...

I messed up my system with a defect windows 10 update on monday, so I did a clean installation of Windows 10 x64. My pc is almost blank, except for a couple of necessary programs, latest graphics drivers and PoE.
When I started PoE the first time after the clean install it runs with very annoying fps drops. 300 - 15 fps without Vsync - or 60 with drops to 15 with Vsync.

Turning off Game mode in Windows settings did not help.
Before my clean install, running power settings on high performance did help, now it doesn't make a change.

GTX 1070 with GR-driver 388.59 (12/07/2017), 16Gb Ram
"
MarcusMaximus wrote:
It seems that during the last bugfixes a part of the production_Config.ini was changed to default values, with

max_PS_shader_model=ps_4_0
max_VS_shader_model=vs_4_0

i get 10 fps instead the usual 60 any time a spell hits a mob, with

max_PS_shader_model=ps_2_0
max_VS_shader_model=vs_2_0

no drop.
Dont forget to delete the isides of the shader cache folders after a change.

Before I do anything like changing stuff I don't understand, is this the reason for the constant bouncing of fps from 30-60fps whenever my golems fire a fireball that never happened before when I first started playing before WaroftheAtlas?
"
Dulthis wrote:
Try to use --waitforpreload and disable VSync if you have it enabled. For some reason this fixed the unstable frame rate introduced in 3.1 for me.

It has nothing to do with this.
It has nothing to do with tcp or drivers.
It has nothing to do with user's PCs going wrong where they did not go wrong.

Before 3.1, I had the entire screen filled with explosions without a single drop in fps at 59-60fps. Unlocking vsync is not the way to play a game at 148fps (which mine hits - but I don't need 148fps, because I am not superman).

Today, it's like Sir Clive Sinclair is back in business again.

I tried that shader change in the config.ini file - it didn't affect anything.

GGG need to put back in 3.1 what they had in 3.0x.
378.92 nVidia drivers with Vsync set to "Application Controlled"

--In-game PoE--
64bit PoE
Vsync ticked in PoE in-game
DX11 + Multi-threading enabled
Windowed Fullscreen

I did use that --waitforpreload, for the shortcut; Loading screens take longer, but I have to say it's an improvement again. Hard to say what it is - noticed it most in towns with players.

378.92 looks slightly softer on the graphics than 388.31, but it could be me.

You could set PoE's Dynamic, but I have it at 59fps when I do.
Not a single drop in frames blowing up the entire screen.

Can't help with dx9 or dx9ex - it never worked well for me.

Forgot to mention; The Shader 2_0 and Shader 4_0 has nothing to do with the problem. The default Shader 4_0 seems fine for me.
Last edited by georgepine on Dec 14, 2017, 5:42:35 AM
I found two things that significantly increased my FPS from 15 back to 60+ since the 3.1 patch.

1st- if your using Nvidia drivers / GPU
roll your drivers back to - https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/116342

2nd - flush your TCP/IP
1. Right click on your Windows Start Menu, and select "Command Prompt (Admin)" or just search for Command Prompt and right click, run as administrator. (You should see a black box)
2. Now type in or copy and paste, "netsh int ip reset" Press Enter. Then do the same for "netsh winsock reset"
3. This should run through the TCP/IP reset.
Once it's complete, you'll need to restart the computer for the process to finish. Done!

Once I completed these two tasks my game was back to normal and FPS was no longer an issue.

If your using windows 7 use -- https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/116342

If your using windows 10 use -- https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/116344

Enjoy the game once again..

I hope this helps.
If anyone is getting unusual freezing and a drop to the desktop, here's one solution that solved that.

It's probably exclusive to nVidia; In the driver, make sure 'Shader Cache' is set "On".

Highly likely GGG have bound the engine to making use of it. Probably the nVidia driver version 378.92 - who knows.

I'm having a similar problem, it's just randomly areas like my HO, Oriath and most maps are pretty bad. My game is telling me its a latency issue, but if I got to say The Coast, I get a smooth and steady game even though my latency is not that stable, go to Oriath, and then I'm spiking between 30ms to 100ms. Like everyone else not unplayable, but definitely not desirable. I tried the launch commands, I tried full screen, driver updates, to no avail. Sometimes when coming from a location that has been smooth it remains smooth and eventually starts to stutter again. Sorry for the weird details but its very inconsistent.
Yeah I posted recently about an improvement. It was short lived... the stutters came back shortly after my post and are just as bad. I have noticed that running nothing else on the pc does help to a degree but honestly I really like watching streamers play poe while I play. I have always had streams open on my second monitor while playing and it worked just fine. I am going to try rolling my drivers back even further, maybe to the one linked above.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info