As developers, we're not afraid to nerf game elements-

I would never have guessed...

(original post quotes in spoilers)
Vaal Pact
Spoiler
"
Chris wrote:

Vaal Pact Keystone
Being able to leech instantly meant that many threats were completely mitigated by high-damage fast-hitting characters with minimal leech investment. Vaal Pact has been changed to no longer grant instant leech, but instead doubles your character's leech rate and maximum leech rate. This was one of the most heavily-requested nerfs in the history of Path of Exile.

The keystone is still powerful, but now really benefits from investment in leech.

This was bound to happen eventually. Personally, I would've been okay with just changing to include something like "Life is leeched at half the amount" or something. This works too, but it breaks my fun CWDT builds. Honestly though, how about buffing other forms of life recovery if this is so meta distorting? It'd be nice to have a lower barrier of entry for viable life regen or life flasks that restore X% of max health over Y seconds or something to make them more relevant in late game.

Mind Over Matter
Spoiler
"
Chris wrote:

Mind over Matter
The mana bonuses granted by the passive skills behind this keystone have been reduced. The mana granted was very high, especially at lower levels. The keystone is currently at a power level where further mana investment is still worthwhile.

The whole point of MoM is a massive mana pool. I've only ever used MoM on 1 or 2 characters, but those characters needed every bit of that mana bonus, especially at lower levels. This was undeserved imo.

Vulnerability Changes
Spoiler
"
Chris wrote:

Vulnerability, Despair and Wither
Vulnerability is now a Strength gem, focused on Physical Damage, Bleed and Maim.

I actually like this change. It was silly that Vulnerability was an intelligence gem when its effects are oriented towards strength characters.

Barrage Helm Enchants
Spoiler
"
Chris wrote:

Barrage
Barrage no longer has the additional projectile enchantment available in the Merciless Labyrinth. The equivalent Endgame Labyrinth enchantment now grants +1 additional Barrage Projectile (down from +2). Existing helmet enchantments are unmodified.

The additional projectile made this skill and enchantment combination the superior choice for bow/wand users. We want to ensure that there are several viable options for these characters.

All this will really do is make certain expensive helms even more expensive. Seems like a dumb change just to screw over wanders. If you want other viable single target options, how about buffing some of the other single-target wand skills or adding new single-target skills for wanders?

Rise of the Phoenix
Spoiler
"
Chris wrote:

Rise of the Phoenix
Maximum Fire Resistance granted has been reduced to 5% (from 8%). Life regeneration has been increased to 15 to 20 per second (from 6). New versions now also grant 40 to 60 Life (this cannot be divined).

This item granted too much maximum fire resistance, more than any other shield provided for any other maximum resistance type. This made it far too easy to max out fire resistance on a Righteous Fire character. Other bonuses on the item have been added or increased to have the item remain useful for other builds.

RofP is not used outside of RF builds, so I guess it'll join the rapidly growing list of uniques that have been neutered because they were used by meta builds. Completely unnecessary.

Level Experience Changes
Spoiler
"
Chris wrote:

Experience changes for high-level characters
Each league, the race to 100 is over more quickly than the previous one, as players become more efficient and the experience available gets larger. We receive overwhelming feedback (including from top racers) that this process should be made longer. We're going to be careful though, and just adjust it a bit at a time. In 3.1.0, this takes the form of small additional experience penalties at levels 95-99 that have the following effect:

• 95 to 96: 6.5% more experience needed
  • 96 to 97: 11.5% more experience needed
  • 97 to 98: 18.7% more experience needed
  • 98 to 99: 28.25% more experience needed
  • 99 to 100: 40% more experience needed

This is stupid. Personally, I would've liked to get a character to 100, but the xp requirement was already excessively high. This puts it halfway across the galaxy.

Honestly, I'm tired of seeing this game being balanced around the top 1% of players. The professional streamers and neckbeard basement dwellers that make up that range will always find a way to blow through the game content as if it were nothing, so it's idiotic to structure game balance around them while alienating and frustrating the other 99% of your playerbase. I understand wanting to make a game challenging and having beating its content feel meaningful, but like all things, there's a point where it gets too much.

At this rate, Chris is pulling a George Lucas, bringing to life an amazing creation and then ruining it. Now that I'm in a more financially stable situation, I was planning on buying my first supporter pack, but with the way things have been going from the clearly rushed and unfinished Fall of Oriath and the terrible game balancing, I think I'll abstain for now.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far! ^.^
Last edited by Soulcommando on Dec 4, 2017, 8:42:17 PM
"
_DarkMan_ wrote:
Fine with everything but the xp nerf. Why adjust game for top 5 players? That makes no sense. The casual will never reach 100 this way.

I don't get the XP nerf either. First of all, most people don't even reach level 95. Hence I guess only touching XP from 95 to 100. However, second, those that do hit 95 and level to 100 play too much, literally. How many people hit 100 in the last two 10-day races? Not many. What's more, how much did those that hit 100 have to play over the course of the 10 days, especially those that did HCSSF?

Seriously, some played 24+ hours straight, logged out for a few hours, and then came back and did it again. And GGG's perspective is that these players hit 100 to fast?

Whatever, I guess. But all the nerfs will do is cause these players to take on 1 or 2 more 24 hour stints, cutting down their rest time.
Last edited by Galtrovan on Dec 4, 2017, 8:44:31 PM
Brutally awesome! The background for the site is basically this thread right now lmao...
"
Kastmar wrote:
"
Lostar wrote:
Guys.i just wanna say THANK YOU.

I was looking at patch after patch and tries to find
words "vaal pact" and "dark pact" since dark pact was introduced.

Vaal pact kills this game for a YEARS.
Thousands of players just stop searching new meta,
cause u just can take vaal pact andface tank end game content
for 10 exalts.

And 1 more thing. Nerfs is not a popular decision.
Butwe ask u to nerf this dam` VP so long)

So .. THANK YOU, guys, for hearing our wishes,
and for youe bravery!
GGG ARE THE BEST!
[Removed by Support] Nobody forced you to use VP. You are happy that this option was taken from another players? [Removed by Support]

[Removed by Support] blatantly broken mechanics like instant leech allowing endgame facerolling completely wrecks the ingame economy, and pretty much disqualifies all but a very narrow set of builds from competing in temp leagues, races, etc.

Reigning in the extreme BS like this will allow GGG to nerf spike damage and make other functional buffs to players - which we're already seeing via volatile and reflect changes.

[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Blank_GGG on Dec 4, 2017, 10:06:56 PM
"
Odds_ wrote:

lmfao, the only people upset about these changes are terrible softcore players who've never hit 90 in less than 6 months, and been carried by instant leech for 5 years and have no idea how to actually play the game.
I'm sorry that you'll have to dodge an occasional attack instead of holding right click in dried lake for the rest of your life.

If you have to dodge attacks you dont know how to play the game, mister.

I just kek at those changes. After all this time there is nothing that GGG could pull off that could amaze me with its stupidity.
"
Odds_ wrote:
Reigning in the extreme BS like this will allow GGG to nerf spike damage and make other functional buffs to players

LOL, you must be new here.
Fairgraves was a slave trafficker specialized in the kidnapping and transport of children. He was not "a good man".
Maybe add some lv90+ map? why the hell max level map is 84 if the Char cap is 100?

That's dont have any sense, if "safe zone" for dont get xp penality for lv.80+ char is 8lvs and Char Cap is 100, u have to provide at least 1 lv 91 map...
"
Odds_ wrote:
The amount of childish whining in here is totally unbelievable.

All the changes sound great. I can't wait.

And the amount of suckupary is far worse...people pointing out that instant leech was the go-to because anything and everything one-shotting late game is BS isn't "whining", acting like it's a smart move with how little damage mitigation the game has is being stupidly oblivious.

You're not getting any cookies from GGG, so stop.
"
"
Odds_ wrote:
Reigning in the extreme BS like this will allow GGG to nerf spike damage and make other functional buffs to players

LOL, you must be new here.

Literally 2 examples of those kinds of changes in the post you quoted.

Yeah, players are obviously weaker than ever, which is why they're clearing content 10x as fast as they used to. lmfao
I was good with this list until...

"
Chris wrote:

Experience changes for high-level characters
Each league, the race to 100 is over more quickly than the previous one, as players become more efficient and the experience available gets larger. We receive overwhelming feedback (including from top racers) that this process should be made longer. We're going to be careful though, and just adjust it a bit at a time. In 3.1.0, this takes the form of small additional experience penalties at levels 95-99 that have the following effect:

• 95 to 96: 6.5% more experience needed
  • 96 to 97: 11.5% more experience needed
  • 97 to 98: 18.7% more experience needed
  • 98 to 99: 28.25% more experience needed
  • 99 to 100: 40% more experience needed

So you talk to all the top racers......the .01%'ers, and base your xp nerf AGAIN off those folks???

[Removed by Support]
17/04/2021 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3082616/page/1
"We tell people that Path of Exile league starts are a fair playing field for everyone, and we need to actually make sure that is the reality."

A BLATANT LIE by the HMFIIC.
Perhaps GGG should consider a leadership change.
Last edited by Patrick_GGG on Dec 4, 2017, 11:26:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info