[3.2] 9k-11k ES, 60-100k Armor, CI Aegis Guardian (Shaper, HoGM, Rippy Map Mods)

"
atarekaze wrote:
Yeah. I should have thought that both str and int help us get ES instead of just # to Energy Shield. However, that means that each ring can have atmost 1 resists. Isnt that kind of bad?

It's not bad for us. We run 5 auras. So, just running purity of elements or a purity aura of your choice, will get you capped. One of the perks of having a lot of auras.

"
Is there anything else in the tree that is bad? Mainly cause I tried to optimize it for a specter rather than advancing fortress to up the damage slightly cause a LOT of damage comes from the weapon and if we have even 50% block, that is max block 1/5th of the time.

Well, a lot of things aren't really that great on that skill tree.

Armour Mastery. Solidity. Elementalist. Potency of Will (This seems really iffy). Mind over Matter. (Can get more ES from other mana nodes.)

All of these are questionable, since you get can better nodes.

If you want to use a dps weapon instead of advancing fortress. I recommend you just get a watcher's jewel with 8% block when using determination. That way you still have a lot of block% at the cost of only 1 jewel slot.

I'd just say when pathing your build, consider each jewel slot you see on the skill tree as 5000 dmg, 8% ES, and 15% to all resistance. This build stacks a lot of jewels. 7 on the original tree. And the CI version stacks 10 jewels.

The bonuses you can get on some jewels are absolutely crazy. It'll almost always be worth it to get a jewel slot vs anything else.
(⌐■_■)
"
trikster_s wrote:
Hey, really nice build! I was looking into something like this but tweaked for HoGM farm this league. CI aegis tank SR tank basically. Have you thought about Balefire unique? Looks like it is a better damage unless you have a full leveled 6-link and super budget as well. I know your claw gives block, but there are other means of getting it.
Any other things you would recommend considering HoGM?
Thanks

You know, I haven't really thought about balefire. I dunno, I just never got around to it. I usually just use 2 pyre rings for map clearing. I'll have to get a balefire myself one of these days.

For HoGM. There isn't much recommendations I can give at the moment. The CI version of this build is practically unkillable on that map, as long as you don't have a freak accident. Just helped a guy a few days ago. And barely felt anything. Not even a semblance of danger.

Just have some elemental flasks in case of Elemental Equilibruim. But, I suppose if you really want to be extremely safe for HoGM, you can make a regen CI aegis aurora tank using beast shawl.

Maybe, you've already done it yourself.

But I'm theorycrafting the version right now. And I'm up to about 3,000 ES Regen? With 50k armor and 10-12k ES. And with that I'm not sure what build/creature would be even close to killing you. At this point it's already be comparable to the unkillable legacy ES builds in standard league.

You might even be able to get 4,000 ES regen with the right abyss jewels. I dunno. Things are looking pretty crazy right now.
(⌐■_■)
"
You know, I haven't really thought about balefire. I dunno, I just never got around to it. I usually just use 2 pyre rings for map clearing. I'll have to get a balefire myself one of these days.

Look into it, mad fun, used it on my Trickster starting char - equipped it in A9 with two pyre rings and completed everything up to T12 with a breeze, probably couldve got higher, but decided to remake a char.

"
But I'm theorycrafting the version right now. And I'm up to about 3,000 ES Regen? With 50k armor and 10-12k ES. And with that I'm not sure what build/creature would be even close to killing you.

Sounds like some crazy cool thing! I wont be able to play for like another two weeks, so I'm just looking for builds for inspiration. If you manage to get something decent out of that idea, could you share a paste bin please? Sounds super interesting :)
I finally attempted Shaper with this build and got it on the first try with 1 death. A couple of things to note:

- I use The Anvil along with Watcher's Eye with "8% block while affected by Determination" so that I can use a rare wand with tons of DPS, while still maintaining max block. My wand has 182% increased SR damage in total - absolutely huge compared to Advancing Fortress.

- Also my Watcher's Eye has "18% of mana gained as extra ES". This brings my ES to around 10k even without using Presence of Chayula (too expensive right now).

- I originally used Memory Vault for the armour, but then I realized stacking much more than 20k armour is rather futile for little benefits. The only main benefit of stacking armour for this build is to get a higher ES gain on block, which against big bosses with big hits is rather irrelevant. Then I switched back to using The Vertex, which also allows me add an extra 6th aura with Enlighten 4. I added Purity of Ice, which is very beneficial against Shaper and Elder since they deal a lot of cold damage. With Aegis and Purity of Ice I have 84% cold resist, 90% with flask.

- Because I don't need that much armour, my tree is very different from OP's. I cut the entire bottom section (which is used to build armour through Iron Reflex) and use those points to get more regen and damage on tree. E.g. I take the Arsonist and Shaper cluster. The regen is very nice to combat damage over time, which is the main weakness of this build.

- Because I don't use Iron Reflex, I don't use Grace. I don't use Purity of Elements either (it's very easy to cap your resists). My auras are Determination - Clarity - Discipline - Vitality - Arctic Armour - Purity of Ice.

- I am lazy so I don't use Orb of Storms. Instead I use CWDT linked with Ice Spear and Increased Critical Strikes Support to proc Elemental Overload and Elemental Equilibrium. CWDT is linked to flame golem as well.

- Against Shaper I use double Pyre ring for huge DPS boost. Just make sure you cap your resists at 75%.

In the Shaper fight, I stood still and tanked all of his slams. It was blocked most of the time, and even when it hit the damage was not that much (you have extra phys mitigation when standing still with Tukohama pantheon and Arctic Armour). The other benefits of standing still is you can maintain your SR stack on Shaper, and also after the slam you're right next to him so he won't cast his balls.

I didn't kill the adds from the portal and let them kill Zana. She will just recover in time for the bullet hell anyway, and even if she doesn't as long as you're surrounded by the adds and they're attacking you you can't really die to bullet hell with max block anyway, unless you're really unlucky.

I have done all rippy map mods, rippy guardian maps with extra health, extra crit, extra damage, less regen, etc., red map Elder with this build. Haven't attempted Uber Atziri and Chayula yet because of the cost, but I don't think there's a problem.

A general advice is when fighting big bosses, don't kill the adds. Let them swarm you and attack you so they can heal you with Aegis. This is especially true in Minotaur/Phoenix/Hydra and Shaper fight. Use Lightning Warp instead of Shield Charge so that you can teleport around at will.
Last edited by chinhodado on Dec 28, 2017, 10:27:17 PM
"
chinhodado wrote:

I have done all rippy map mods, rippy guardian maps with extra health, extra crit, extra damage, less regen, etc., red map Elder with this build. Haven't attempted Uber Atziri and Chayula yet because of the cost, but I don't think there's a problem.

A general advice is when fighting big bosses, don't kill the adds. Let them swarm you and attack you so they can heal you with Aegis. This is especially true in Minotaur/Phoenix/Hydra and Shaper fight. Use Lightning Warp instead of Shield Charge so that you can teleport around at will.

Extremely nice. And solid advice here. I was worried about the lower armor, but I suppose it's not awful with the right set-up. If its not too much trouble, can you send a few end-game boss videos with your version of the build? Just to help people along. I've been playing casually lately. So, I'm not sure when I'll have my end-game set-up finished.

"
trikster_s wrote:

"
RPGlitch wrote:
But I'm theorycrafting the version right now. And I'm up to about 3,000 ES Regen? With 50k armor and 10-12k ES. And with that I'm not sure what build/creature would be even close to killing you.

Sounds like some crazy cool thing! I wont be able to play for like another two weeks, so I'm just looking for builds for inspiration. If you manage to get something decent out of that idea, could you share a paste bin please? Sounds super interesting :)

The regen tank version is about done at the moment, but I'm going to wait on releasing it until I have the proper gear to showcase/test it. If you or anyone want to help/know the regen/CI build as it is currently. Just send me a message. I want to keep it a secret till, I'm confident there are no problems with it.

But just to rattle off some more numbers off the regen aegis build, because I'm loving how its turning out. It has about 3,000 flat ES regen with the proper gear (looked on PoE.trade). 4,000 regen with consecrated ground, which you'll have due to lab enchant on your gloves and/or flask. And 6,000 regen, theoretically, if we use the Soul of Arakaali pantheon, which gives us 50% increased life recovery, via blood rage/immortal call CWDT.

So, I suppose this would be better, if not as good, as the unkillable Hall of Grandmaster regen/legacy aegis tanks of 2.6, when ES was at 26,000 ES. Now, the only thing is how to have 6,000 regen at all times, instead of needing the blood rage proc. A bit more brainstorming is required.
(⌐■_■)
Last edited by RPGlitch on Dec 29, 2017, 2:35:36 AM
the builds interesting glitch Ive been seeing you post it around for a bit now.

Im a bit of a defence whore, I would have said total defence whore but i think I think Im a bit of a dps clearspeed whore in comparison when in this thread. I love aegis, I found an aegis very soon after it was added to the game, back when the main visible build for it was Dragons infernal blow marauder. Its quite funny, I just tracked down his build guide thread, it was from 2013 and this was the first response...

"
Blueclaw wrote:
Awesome guide, made a new character when I saw you facetanking merciless Kole.

lol!

the guys not even trolling, I think that was a legit 2013 response. Oh poe where did u go? Where did it all go wrong? anyway...

I never actually played his build, I looked at it, but I never played it, I never play anyone elses builds. I made a ci melee crit dagger witch, and actually she still exists today using the same basic format she did back then, its far from an optimal way to play aegis in 2017 but it still works fine.

I will however play your build, or something close enough. Ive wanted to do a guardian low life aegis since the ascendancy thing but Ive not got round to it, messed with a few trees in pob now and then and found it extremely hard to do damage with anything when you go all in on the armour, es and block. You need a skill like the old incinerate where you can get something viable out of very small amounts of damage on the tree/gear. And I guess here we are in 2017, thats scorching ray.

Couple if things, I cant play scorching ray and I cant use a claw thats actually a shield as the mainhand weapon on a caster because it gives me block lol. Not knocking it, I just cant go that far for tanky personally. Scirching ray reminds me of a lower damage version of Arcon in D3, and for all its insane damage I cant play arcon in d3, did it too much back in the day. I did however enjoy using a firebirds etched sigil build in d3, it caps out about 20 rifts lower than when I switch to arcon but to me it was a lot more fun to play. Etched sigil is basically cast while channelling, so youd have disintegrate + cwc firestorm and energy twister, like so..

https://plays.tv/video/584ade82581c37f7c1/diablol

so Im gonna do scorching ray cwc firestorm, as its as close as I can get and I find it enjoyable. It doesnt have energy twisters that suck up mobs into tight little clusters sadly so its not quite the sigil but its good enough. Ive been using a doryanis for the moment, sitting at 63/50 block but I got a rumis to cap and thats good enough for me. Obviously that all means changes, no ele eq cause firestorm etc, but Ive been playing it all night and im having a lot of fun, probably a fair bit of min/maxing still to be done with this version but its a start.

Heres what were dealing with atm if ur interested...

Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.1.1/AAAABAUDAQj0C2EMXwz3DXwOPBBYES0RUBJpFHEXHBcvGyUcpxzcHRQfGCFgIvQppSpTKo0snDW5Ntg6UjwtQKBDY0PIRJ5Gt0kbS65OUk8EUftTpVO7ValV1lZIWfNca1yKXhNfKmFSZOdmVGaeaGVo8moBakNsC20ZcU1xeXIPcql0VXTxe9d8g331fmyApIDgg1-ESIZgh2WMdo8aj0aSK5MnlG-XtJrPmzCboZ48oS-lGKcIpyuplayYrKqsr69ssnC0DLcxvOq-isC_w23E9sauytPNFtNv12rYJNlb2t3pAuoY6rrr7uxV707xbPPd9zL3wffX-Ov60v0A?accountName=Snorkle_uk&characterName=Fat_Old_Banana

I hope its not too upsetting to see ur minmaxing ravaged in such a way. Obviously stuff like burning damage and dot becomes a bit inefficient to invest heavily into when its not double dipping with the firestorm, EE has to go, more block needed to make way for the sceptre. I did managed to get to 96% mana reserve and 98% life reserve tho which was nice. But necessary evils to make it cwc firestorm.

Hard to really tell damage with firestorm, its knocked about 200k off ur scorch but then added 9-10k damage per hit firestorms, of which at its peak we can maybe get about 60 hits per second from, but then u cant make all of those hit 1 target, not even close, so that would be far from 600k dps added. Probably at best its about equal and often a bit less damage, but then its bigger aoe so maybe slightly faster at points on packs... much of a mucness for mapping I feel, but I enjoy it and it lets me play the thing because I just cant bring myself to play fire arcon poe style, so it is what it is.

will probably switch back to curse on hit orb of storm but trying out selfcast curse atm for the range, speed and higher arcane surge. Firestorms proc overload by themselves so orb not quite as mandatory, but still maybe better, I dunno, work in progress.

Last edited by Snorkle_uk on Dec 30, 2017, 11:08:57 AM
i will be looking forward to playing with beast fur shawl!!!
i really love regen builds. can u make a version with righteous fire version for farming maps? its fine with scorching ray but you keep having to rotate your mouse and its getting tired. thanks! and have a happy new year. (like off hand rise of the phoenix and something idk for RF) something to farm maps faster. if u cant its fine! just please make a tankey ass regen builds that u can play all the contents like a breeze. i have 600c budget tho.
Last edited by DeeJayMahDK on Dec 31, 2017, 9:29:36 AM
What do you think about running CI + Memory Vault + Iron Reflexes for HC? I don't mind losing some DPS if it means I can literally never die. Too much armor for not enough gain?

Also, I have every piece needed for this build except Presence of Chayula (600c in HC league is not feasible for me). Any suggestions on alternative amulets? I've been using The Anvil so far.

Also, what do you think about using Alberon's Warpath Boots (+18% STR) or Rainbowstrides to save one jewel slot for another Watcher's Eye?
Last edited by Kyokuji on Jan 1, 2018, 7:15:16 AM
And I'm back! Whew, Happy Belated New Year everyone. Aegis still lives again in 2018. Kinda a little sick from drinking, but ahem. I had fun.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

so Im gonna do scorching ray cwc firestorm, as its as close as I can get and I find it enjoyable.

Hey, Snorkle_uk. Fancy, seeing you here. lol. You know that reminds me. I have been thinking about various skills with Aegis lately, because yeah...Scorching Ray can get boring sometimes, after mindlessly burning through 50 maps.

Right now, we have access to about 8-12 nodes of damage on our skill tree. So, it is rough thinking about skills that require only a few skills to work. At the very least, we're looking at an aegis build, with 5-6k ES vs 9.5k to 10k ES. I'm not exactly comfortable with that, but I think most life-based builds are struggling to get 6k life anyway with top gear.

I think this build has just spoiled me a little too much on how unkillable it is. *Sigh* maybe, I should just give in and make a mapping aegis build, with low ES HP.

As for Scorching Ray, Cast When Channeling, Firestorm. That sounds really interesting. I remember seeing that for the old regen flametank scion build, that used to regen 4,000 ES per second. I never got around to playing that build, but it'd be cool to see how fast mapping is, when using a CWC set-up. I'll probably try it myself after I finish my experiments with Dyadus and the Super Regen Aegis Build.

At the moment, I've been trying to figure how to use this item properly with our build.

The damage of Scorching Ray is extremely good, using this weapon if we can reliably chill enemies. We're talking about 900k Scorching Ray Damage, on an Aegis Tank with 60k armor. Yeah, you heard me. 900,000 Scorching Ray Damage. That's without Pyre Rings. And that's with us having 60,000 armor with max-block aegis. So, you can see why I'm trying hard to make this baby work. And we can even hit up to, 1.7k million dps, if we decide to just remove aegis, and map using pure regen/armor. Duel-Wielding these chinchillas.

So, we could thereotically do as much damage as the meta builds and be tanky as hell. bwahaha. Ahem, well if we can chill enemies anyway. Which is a pain in the ass in the moment.

"
DeeJayMahDK wrote:
i will be looking forward to playing with beast fur shawl!!!
i really love regen builds. can u make a version with righteous fire version for farming maps? its fine with scorching ray but you keep having to rotate your mouse and its getting tired. thanks! and have a happy new year. (like off hand rise of the phoenix and something idk for RF) something to farm maps faster. if u cant its fine! just please make a tankey ass regen builds that u can play all the contents like a breeze. i have 600c budget tho.

Yup, I can make a RF version of this build. My original build back in Harbringer League could already run both RF and Aegis at the same time. You'd just need a little more extra regen from the tree to make it comfortable. I'll post something about it in a few days, once I look at the numbers again.

"
Kyokuji wrote:
What do you think about running CI + Memory Vault + Iron Reflexes for HC? I don't mind losing some DPS if it means I can literally never die. Too much armor for not enough gain?

Yeah, too much armor, for too little gain. The main ways you die with this build are extreme DoTs and a one-shot pure elemental damage and both go through armor. Also, Memory Vault costs too much aura-wise. You have to think about it like an extra 5-6 skill nodes to make Memory Vault work with an aura heavy build like this one.

"

Also, I have every piece needed for this build except Presence of Chayula (600c in HC league is not feasible for me). Any suggestions on alternative amulets? I've been using The Anvil so far.

If you are using a CI Aegis. I'd recommend.

You can even free up a few dex nodes on the skill tree. The CI version of this build is actually rather cheap, to set-up. Only spent around 50-80c. And your set for mapping.

"

Also, what do you think about using Alberon's Warpath Boots (+18% STR) or Rainbowstrides to save one jewel slot for another Watcher's Eye?

You can't have two watcher's eye ;D. Limit 1.

But, I've tried a (STR) version of aegis, similar to the 22k EHP RF LL build you see on the forums and it's just so-so. We don't stack nearly enough str, to make it work. And we use many of our jewel slots for extra resistance and/or %ES. So, not worth it. It's kinda the same for rainbowstrides as well. A good ES boot, with great resistances, would just be better.
(⌐■_■)
Last edited by RPGlitch on Jan 1, 2018, 8:36:16 AM
"
RPGlitch wrote:
yeah...Scorching Ray can get boring sometimes, after mindlessly burning through 50 maps.

I hear you. Its rly down to personal preference I think, Im not knocking the skill but for me theres just not enough impact. I like frostblades cause it feels like hitting something with a jackhammer, I like skills with impact, I want it to feel like a shotgun or a 50cal rifle or a gatling cannon, scorching ray feels a bit like using a hairdryer.

"
RPGlitch wrote:

Right now, we have access to about 8-12 nodes of damage on our skill tree. So, it is rough thinking about skills that require only a few skills to work. At the very least, we're looking at an aegis build, with 5-6k ES vs 9.5k to 10k ES. I'm not exactly comfortable with that, but I think most life-based builds are struggling to get 6k life anyway with top gear.

yeah, I wouldnt be too comfortable with less than 8-9k es either tbh. Even on life builds with flasks if Im dipping below 6.5k ill look to make changes till I hit that as a minimum, even for a ranged char that has a coil, 30k evasion, 50% dodge, toh, basalts, endurance, arctic armour etc, defences coming out of its ears.

Id be more inclined to drop from 60k armour down to like 25-30k and then have a flask there for a boost in hotspots rather than drop any ES myself, if I was looking to save points. When im making es builds atm if Im seeing less than 9k es on pob with actual gear that i have I make changes, for me thats like a baseline Im sceptical about going beneath. In a league Id probably settle for 8k, but then Im a bit hesitant to make es in leagues atm because I dont like investing anything significant in gear that I dont value long term and es gear is now essentially in a legacy or gtfo place on standard now.

the dyadus idea, very cool. At first I was like 100% increased.. well surely a rare or a catalyst beats... oh wait, increased damage taken? Errrrr.... lol!

Ok, well chill enemies, arctic armour chills enemies when they hit you and drops chilled ground, its only a 0.5 second chill tho right? The one that reflects on hit at least. Theres the spite enchant on gloves, fires out a chilled ground starburst of 10 projectiles when ur hit that last 2 seconds. Aquamarine flask spawns a patch of chillded ground. Vortex spell leaves behind those pools that I believe chill? Is there potential to cwdt a vortex? Or a cold snap prolif?

from wiki...

"
When a target is hit with cold damage, it becomes chilled for 2 seconds. The magnitude of the slow is directly proportional to the damage relative to the target's maximum life, equal to 30% slow at 10% of the target's maximum life dealt by Cold damage, scaling down to 0% at no damage. Hits below the minimum threshold of 1% effect are discarded,[3] effectively requiring a hit of 0.33% enemy maximum life.

does literally any cold damage hit chill for 2 seconds? would simply adding added cold damage to the orb of storms chill with every hit? Would require manual flam cursing tho... I wonder just how short the gemslot situation is, would orb of storms, arc surge, added cold, ele prolif be out of the question?

I feel like you only need that big damage burst on bosses and maybe some rares, so having a thing where you have a surge on a manual flam curse for pack clearing and then orb of storming on occasion when encountering bigboy monsters for the overload+chill proc, maybe thats not so bad if you dont need all those things going at all times? Perhaps if u arcane the flam curse then you dont need arcane on the orb of storms and can put faster casting or crit strikes in there to make the overload/chill proccing a little more consistent.

Its an interesting conundrum but I feel like theres an answer somewhere that works.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info