[Sept 18] PvP

"
CodeOrange wrote:
meaning that they would have to build strategically on the same grounds as their opponent

This isn't a FPS game. This is an item based game. Item based games assume inequality in gear/level. If you're going to force people to have the same gear/level, then what's the point of having items in the first place? Answer, there isn't.
quite intrigued about this system for HC players,
wondering what will happen when you died n a match in HC?
"
Nolimitation wrote:
"
CodeOrange wrote:
meaning that they would have to build strategically on the same grounds as their opponent

This isn't a FPS game. This is an item based game. Item based games assume inequality in gear/level. If you're going to force people to have the same gear/level, then what's the point of having items in the first place? Answer, there isn't.
Sure, but if we're arguing about things having a point: if you're going to assume inequality, what the point of having competition in the first place? Woo, your Level 60 guy with all the best items beat a Level 45 guy with crappy items, congratulations, what an impressive victory.

I don't think "this isn't a FPS game" is a useful attitude at all. Nobody's talking about making the game a FPS, they're talking about introducing "fair" (and thus, to me, actually meaningful) competition. Break it down to what you actually mean - "this isn't a game about player skill" - and it doesn't sound so defensible anymore.

Sure, lots of people like unrestricted PvP, just using whatever items you've got and see how well you do. I'm not one of them (even though I did it from time to time just with friends in D2 for a bit of fun), but hey, that's great. I certainly wouldn't propose removing it, so if that's what CodeOrange was suggesting then I'd object too. But to have more restricted competition as an option would be no problem, surely. It wouldn't stop those of you who want to bash your heads against people with fundamental advantages over your character from doing that.
The PvP variables in this game are:

1. player skill
2. build choice
3. gem levels
4. resource management
5. gear you use

These should be enough to have an interesting RPG-based PvP experience.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
Sure, but if we're arguing about things having a point: if you're going to assume inequality, what the point of having competition in the first place?

To reward the people for earning their gear that will make them competitive.

Hand me outs just so competition is " Fair " just destroys the point of an item based game. It diminishes the value of the items that people worked hard for when they're just handed out to other people.

To me, people should have to earn the gear to be competitive first, that makes sense in an item based game. Hand me outs do not.
Well I for one am not talking about handing anything out. It'd be a separate, self-contained system that thus by nature couldn't diminish the value of the things other players earn. To complain about that seems much like Hardcore players complaining that Default shouldn't exist because there "should" be a heavy penalty for dying. I'd sooner just suggest people don't use something if they don't like it.

But then I'm not concerned about sticking rigidly to genre as you seem to be. It doesn't bother me in the slightest if some portions of this game are not "an item based game".
"
CodeOrange wrote:

That's all well and good, but there is flexibility to be seen yet in balance.

If GGG took the pokemon route to balancing pvp, where where all players will have their level temporarily reset to let's say, lvl 30/60/90 and have their gear/gems delevelled to accommodate these changes, or use stock equipment/gems if this proves too trying on ggg's/the player's end. All players will only have 30/60/90 passive points + quest reward points to spend in building their character, meaning that they would have to build strategically on the same grounds as their opponent(s), while also providing concrete level milestones to balance the game around.

Ofc I'm only suggesting that this be used for more formal forms of pvp such as arenas or tournaments.

Please god no! Balancing PVP in this way would ruin the economy. Why would anyone want good gear when it is not used for pvp?
Last edited by thepmrc on Mar 26, 2012, 4:41:25 PM
Oh my, to make pvp viable for all classes here, it would take some major rebalnce imo.

One possible thing would be to make some abilities "pvp only" and "pve only" which would make balancing them easier.
pvp is gonna be interesting , to say
Yazopazofuzo
Cmon pvp! dang none yet gotta wait on DL the new patches until pvp comes out! the bandit quest pvp is silly as all hell. hope to get an arena soon i know i read it dont send me a link so cool sounds great guys looking forward to tear it up in POE PVP!!! glad to see balance is in main focus thats awesome :)

"No army can stop an idea whose time has come"-Victor Hugo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info