[Sept 18] PvP

A different game I play, has over 20 game modes for PvP.

Sure 4v4 fight is the standard of PvP, but variety is as important as balance.

I hope to see
Capture and Hold modes
Objective modes
PvP with PvE balance and support

Another good idea, from other games, is PvP Tier items, or items/gems etc that are only available from PvP games.

Another good idea, from other games, is PvP Tier items, or items/gems etc that are only available from PvP games.[/quote]
this is quiete bad idea for me.....
I would avoid anything that would turn POE's PVP into WOW's PVP. PVP-tier gear is for the most part a bad design decision, in part because most people who play PVP will continue to PVE. Gear that is exclusively intended for PVP isn't much of a reward. It also isn't fair to people who dislike PVP but want a certain reward.

I think balancing PVP is going to be a headache. I don't know how it's going to be done. I'm just envisioning some of the crazy builds people will do - I mean really, what if someone invests in crazy amounts of evasion? That's great, but all of that investment is suddenly negated by the +100% accuracy skill. Sure, you can't get criticals, but it seems like that talent would be ridiculous in PVP against certain builds. PVP is probably going to come down to rock vs paper vs scissors - where you're simply beating your opponent because your build counters them, not because of any inherent skill in managing skills, dodging spells, or whatnot.

Team PVP has the chance of being a little more balanced and interesting, though as a whole, I think PVP will just be an amusing distraction at first, that most people take way too seriously.

I'm going to try my best to get the most health/health regen though, just so I can PVP people and try to soak up all their damage.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
My advice is give everyone something they can do well in PvP.

Trying to balance all classes to be the same is the biggest mistake possible. It's also really really hard to do. It is the mistake WoW made after vanilla by homogenizing class abilities. If one class shines in one situation and flounders in another, that is okay.

If necessary, add different game modes so all the classes will be able to do well in some scenario.
IGN: Guillotine - Shadow - Open Beta
Bawss - 73 Witch - Closed Beta

Please, make a 1 vs 1 ranked arena, i dont want to have to find someone to do ranked
Copy/Pasted from End Game thread:

I am sure you guys already have PvP planned out in your heads, or partially working, but I thought I would toss this idea out there anyways.

The first MMO I played was Dark Age of Camelot. Anyone that has played that knows how great the PvP was in that game. 3 realms all with different classes fighting over keeps to unlock a dungeon with good gear drops for their realm.

Now I know this game is not DAoC, but it does not mean the PvP can't be transformed to work in a game like this. I have always wanted to see something like this in the ARPG genre.

The way I imagine it is 3 teams(each with colored armor representing their team) of 5-10 players battling for keeps with a main castle in the center. The castle would have a chest that unlocked if you held control of it for a set amount of time. Controlling your keeps would upgrade the castle with a fortified door, interactive siege weapons, etc. Losers would be ported out and winning team takes the loot.

Everyone could still get something out of it though, like ranking points to unlock gear, players could drop orb shards on death, etc.

Now from a technical standpoint, I could see where this would be unlikely to add to the game. I would still think it is completely awesome if it did exist though, and had to throw that idea out there. I think it would be more strategic than just hacking away at some guy that may or may not have better gear than you.

Thanks for making an amazing game!
Trial and error here also. Through iteration with experiance is one simple way to do PvP interesting for all. This method will require the devs to play actively their own content with many character types to get the 1st hand information how the changes will work (currently D3 devs don't do this and the game reflects that directly to the players). Of course at the beginning it'll not propably be very balanced but it'll go in to that direction evidently.
Last edited by Lapinsonni on Jun 26, 2012, 8:01:32 AM
Just to preface I am new to this beta, but I have extensive PVP history in an RPG element from D2 to LOL and everything in between.

Now Ive never been the best but alone and in teams Ive always done better than average.

I implore you to not make PVP balance come at the cost of PVE ability(and vice versa). Anyone with past history in D2 or WoW PVP (who also did PVE) can tell you that while nerfing or buffing X, can cause that ability to become useless or OP in PVE. Making players almost dictated into a specific style of play.

Regardless of the changes you make do so in a Aura(status) that applies in only PVP situations.

Now the only fringe issue would be if open PVP (ganking) was allowed, in this case if the target of a ganker is another player the PVP aura (status) is applied.

But for arenas or duels this should be applied always.

I dunno I just hate seeing PVE suffer because of PVP and vice versa, implementing a way to split the two (the PVP aura allows you to set ability power, defensive power, etc limitless really).

Last edited by bongoclock on Jun 27, 2012, 6:27:16 PM
"
Xericor wrote:

I hope to see
Capture and Hold modes
Objective modes

This!
"
Xericor wrote:

I hope to see
Capture and Hold modes
Objective modes

I do not see how you could "balance" PVP builds with your excellent, and almost infinite, build combinations based on skill gems and passive choices.

Better to create many modes of PVP as suggested above, and let people find their own niche.

With your end game map system enhancing PVE replayability, you might be better off stating that PVP is added on only for casual fun, and you do not intend to do an endless nurf/buff cycle to try to balance every possible class build.

I PVPed on and off in WoW for seven years, and even though I think Blizzard really did try to balance, there was always an OP FoTM class. And much forum QQ.

But I see by your Dev post that you have a balancing plan..I wish you the best!
Last edited by Yankee on Jul 19, 2012, 5:31:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info