Innocence fight

"
Frankenberry wrote:
"
TheLiberation wrote:
To the endgame farmers with an ego: Normal difficulty was not designed with you in mind. Just because you can handle it, doesn't mean it's balanced.

It's a good thing to challenge players. Not just experienced players but also casuals. If everything is a pushover all the way from act 1 to act 10 the game tedious and it discourages players from giving endgame a go since they think it has no challenge to offer.

If you are a new player in Softcore it makes no difference besides a small challenge that only takes a few minutes to overcome. If you are in HC you know it's coming and you have plenty of time to prepare before going into to that fight.

And finally: We only have 1 difficulty. Normal difficulty is for everyone. Casuals and experienced players alike.

Have you even read what I wrote?
1) Challenge is one thing. A stupidly high and unreasonable difficulty spike hardly even classifies as a challenge. Challenge usually implies something fun and satisfying, as you need to beat something that takes effort but is reasonable (like most new bosses). Having your face suddenly smashed in is not fun.
2) Doesn't matter if in softcore it doesn't cost you anything. Dying is not fun and kills the flow of the game. Designing things with a "you'll know how to prepare the second time you do it" attitude is a horrible idea, and clearly 90% of the game is not designed in that way.
3) Before 3.0, at this point in the game you fought Cruel Merveil and Cruel Brutus, both doing much less damage than Innocence and way easier overall. There is no reason to suddenly have a boss here now who can facemelt you if you're not prepared for a randomly FAR harder encounter.
Last edited by TheLiberation on Oct 28, 2017, 3:08:35 PM
I'm not the best player around and I don't put 12 hours a day into the game, but playing HC only I've never had more than one, maybe two deaths total at the harder points of the game: I'd die, but then I'd learned something and the next character would do better. Now I've just lost the third character in a row to that fucking nimrod Innocence and it's kinda starting to grate on my nerves. BECAUSE THAT FUCKING BEAM.

THAT.

FUCKING.

BEAM.

TL;DR: Innocence needs fixing. Badly.
WUT?

Beam? I thought everyone had an issue with those 1000s of small balls.
I know thats the hardest part for me at least... I usually jump the wrong way and into a cluster of them... not a good idea..

Have a few build that had problem with the adds (low damage output at that time).

Never had a problem with the beam.... which probably mean that I will next time... oh well :)
A serious question.

Is the boss too hard or is the content leading to it too easy?
In short is it the difficulty spike thats the issue or the difficulty itself?

If it's the spike, would an adjustment of the content "resolve" the issue?
"
Dharall wrote:
WUT?

Beam? I thought everyone had an issue with those 1000s of small balls.
I know thats the hardest part for me at least... I usually jump the wrong way and into a cluster of them... not a good idea..

Have a few build that had problem with the adds (low damage output at that time).

Never had a problem with the beam.... which probably mean that I will next time... oh well :)

I guess it depends on the build. My Dark Pact Occultist got fried by that bloody Death Star cannon every time but could dodge the lightning attacks fairly easily.
Act 9 fight is joke compared to act 5 that need some tweak. It´s not in line with other bosses around the level.
"
Dharall wrote:
A serious question.

Is the boss too hard or is the content leading to it too easy?
In short is it the difficulty spike thats the issue or the difficulty itself?

If it's the spike, would an adjustment of the content "resolve" the issue?

The boss is way too hard, as in his damage is too brutal. The fight design is very good, his damage numbers are total bonkers.

I'm inclined to agree acts 1, 2 and partially 3 are rather easy, but there's no way anyone sane can say acts 4 and 5 leading to Innocence are easy. Act 4 Daresso, Piety and Malachai are pretty damn challenging for a first time player already - that's kinda how it felt to me back when I started in Essence league, after a few hundred hours in games like Diablo 2 and Sacred 1/2.

If you want the amount of new players getting into the game to drop by 2/3 or so, balance the first four acts to be of comparable difficulty to Innocence.

Also, afterwards, there's only 3 bosses coming remotely near - Act 5 Kitava is somewhat painful, Aberrath's fireballs/meteors do dumb damage, and Gruthkul is well-known already. Besides that, no other boss until Act 10 comes close to Innocence in terms of raw brutal damage and very high chance to die even if you have a solid reaction time.

[Imo both his beam and the glowing balls are too painful.]
I dont see how the fight is difficult or the damage too spiky. Ive done it multiple times on toons with mostly self-found gear, as a melee/bow user/spellcaster and all times it was fine. its a mechanical fight and majority of the time I dont even get hit.

everything is telegraphed and the beam is meant to be ran away from (and you DO have a precursor to the mechanic as piety's beam in a4 follows similar pattern). and if you do get hit, the damage isnt anything brutal as long as you dont stand in the beam or continue to get bombed by the ball attack

the only mob that has too much damage output for the time you encounter it is gruthkul
"
grepman wrote:
I dont see how the fight is difficult or the damage too spiky. Ive done it multiple times on toons with mostly self-found gear, as a melee/bow user/spellcaster and all times it was fine. its a mechanical fight and majority of the time I dont even get hit.

everything is telegraphed and the beam is meant to be ran away from (and you DO have a precursor to the mechanic as piety's beam in a4 follows similar pattern). and if you do get hit, the damage isnt anything brutal as long as you dont stand in the beam or continue to get bombed by the ball attack

the only mob that has too much damage output for the time you encounter it is gruthkul

I'll just refer you to my recent thread also about the same fight if you think his damage is nothing brutal: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2029040

tl;dr summary:
- level 47, maxed resists, 1245 HP (nothing impressive I know, but solid enough and still most likely more than any first-time player)
- no earlier boss even got me under half HP
- got a unique strongbox 20 minutes earlier and didn't even drop under half HP
- got instantly deleted by Innocence after the first mistake during the "glowing balls everywhere" phase
- compare to Cruel Brutus and his damage, before 3.0

I don't know how lucky you were, but I'd say quite a lot. If your answer is "outlevel the fight" or "you need to learn it and you'll be fine after you do it 10 times", it's not an answer for a fight in Part I, normal difficulty.
there is no 'difficulty' anymore.

as all mechanical fights, you need to learn it one way or another. whats the point of a mechanical fight if you can do it without learning it ?

1250 hp seems fine, I usually have 1500hp by the time I fight kitava, possibly slightly higher if in hc setting

previous bosses not taking half hp means you got somewhat lucky with malachai or you just were able to burst him down without engaging much with his mechanics. or that (surprise) you are already familiar with his mechanics

what are your defenses? since innocence is not an act boss, curses like enfeeble work with full effectiveness on him

the 'glowing balls everywhere' phase hits hard, sure, but its a telegraphed attack that clearly wants you to break LoS and is a precursor to shapers balls. you're not supposed to take several of those balls to the face
Last edited by grepman on Nov 20, 2017, 5:00:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info