[On Hold] Glacial Cascade Totems [ALL Content in the Game]

been looking around at hierophant builds, trying to decide on what totems to run, since i really wanna try it out and they feel rather safe and easy to play for league start.

but i have been wondering alot about why GC totem's paper damage in PoB is so much lower then various arc totem builds?

does arc totems really do almost 2 times the damage GC does?

also i would like to ask how "fast" mapping is, running GC totems? considering its not a huge AoE or chain like arc is, i would assume it isnt super fast but is it actually slow?
Last edited by ChilledBones on Mar 7, 2019, 11:19:49 AM
New YouTube Video out for the guide! Trees are updated. Keeping an eye out for relevant things in Synthesis League for this build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVJ5sjmpiko&list=PLnoucF9SPbntEYhSXdTIndHltCYOOeH3b&index=9

"
Hey there, is this just recommended as a League Starter? Or, could you push it higher and higher into everything, including deep delves. Also, how does it compare to GC mines?
I typically only use this as a league starter but I have seen people post in this thread taking it further than I have ever personally taken the build. Really cool to see all the crazy min/maxed gear and people pushing delve 800+ and the like.

"
once again, thank you so much for this build. you explained everything so smoothly that it's so easy to fork to another extent of this build.

your twitch & youtube is great btw :)
Glad you like the content!

"
I'm still FAIRLY new to PoE but want to try this build with the upcoming league. I assume for weapons I should focus on daggers? Or did you find there's a better combo of items (dagger/sword, sword/dagger)?

Thanks for the build! My first "blind" playthrough happened to get a cool totem out of the gate and loved it.
I think I'd go with a +1 Totem Shaper shield and a Shaper dagger as my weapon combo in the upcoming league if I was playing this build in Synthesis.

"
Could you go a little into detail. Why exactly was this build buffed ? The hard damage nerf doesnt outweight the buffed cast speed. Could you do the math on how the new hatred works ?

Also, when having two long winter jewels, do i have 100% conversion without the helmet enchant ? So having only the enchant can replace both jewels too ? Or do i need both to get the max conversion. Dont really understand how it adds up here.
The gem itself converts 60% of the phys damage to cold - so you need to convert the other 40% somehow. There are lots of ways and they are mentioned in the guide and in the latest video.

"
hatred now gives a MORE multiplier for full cold, with a nerf for phys gained as cold

if you use 2x winter jewels, GC is 100% cold. this is a buff

if you dont use jewels, use hrimsorrow/hrimburn or the helm enchant. playing GC as as anything but pure cold is nerfed.
This guy gets it.

"
noobish question but where can i see how much conversion i have?
Look at how much damage on your tooltip is cold vs fire vs lightning vs phys vs chaos.

"
So when talking about the more multiplier here is my calculation:

GC 1000 phys damage:

old version: (slower casting, 16.2% more damage)

1162 damage + 418.32 Hatred = 1580.32 Damage

10 Seconds of casting = 13 casts = 20544.16 cold damage

new version:

1000 damage + 250 Hatred = 1250 damage

18% MORE Multiplier = 1250 * 1.18 = 1475 Damage

10 Seconds of Casting = 15 casts = 22125 Damage

So for full conversion + all the statsticks that give extra cold damage getting multiplied, this is buff of at least 10.8% increased Damage. This is huge for long fights like uber elder

Can you confirm these calcs ?
They way you are describing DPS is exactly how PoB would do DPS calculations. The game is not played in PoB though so your experience may vary quite a bit. Very rarely are you in a perfect scenario where all your totems are up and firing at perfect distance with perfect overlaps with all of your buffs up.

"
Your latest PoB only has 82 points spent on the tree.
Should be updated.

"
Well this build is nice as fuck. This is definitely my league start. Tanks a lot sir
I was very torn between this and Storm Brand as my league starter. I don't think either choice is bad.

"
What skill tree would you advice to use for league start ?
The one from Leveling + Skill Trees section or the one used in PB ?
My PoB is simply the last time I played the build not my actual recommendation. I would look at the "Final Skill Tree" or the trees in the leveling section if you want my recommendation. I do encourage people to try out different things however. Maybe level with EO before grabbing crit multi, new cooldown recovery nodes for movement abilities seems great. Maybe even try ES versions of the build. My guide is simply a guideline and there are plenty of ways to make the build your own.

"
been looking around at hierophant builds, trying to decide on what totems to run, since i really wanna try it out and they feel rather safe and easy to play for league start.

but i have been wondering alot about why GC totem's paper damage in PoB is so much lower then various arc totem builds?

also i would like to ask how "fast" mapping is, running GC totems? considering its not a huge AoE or chain like arc is, i would assume it isnt super fast but is it actually slow?
I've been of the opinion for a long time that Arc is a better mapper and GC is a better bosser. Words like "super fast" and "slow" are relative to you as a player and what I find "fast enough" may be "super slow" for you.

"
thi3n wrote:

"

I've been of the opinion for a long time that Arc is a better mapper and GC is a better bosser. Words like "super fast" and "slow" are relative to you as a player and what I find "fast enough" may be "super slow" for you.

that is indeed true, but thanks alot for your answer :) went through your old vods and found one, where you were leveling inqusitor GC from 7x and up.
the mapping speed looks very decent actually, probably mid tier-ish in my opinion.

really looking forward trying out your build for the new league
"
ChilledBones wrote:
"
thi3n wrote:

"

that is indeed true, but thanks alot for your answer :) went through your old vods and found one, where you were leveling inqusitor GC from 7x and up.
the mapping speed looks very decent actually, probably mid tier-ish in my opinion.

really looking forward trying out your build for the new league

There are a handful of ways to get faster mapping with this build. Some of them are less optimal than in earlier patches but still work. For example, you can use haste instead of hatred (risky now with the hatred buff). Drop kaom's for boots with movement speed. This combo lets me get vaal haste / vaal clarity / increased duration in there. Or get those in other ways. Indirectly, go with the kikazaru variant. You don't have to worry about warding away curses, and you can get in more movement flasks (adrenaline instead of warding, silver and quicksilver, etc).

edit: I should also note that for me personally, when trying to play "fast" in maps, i think the two long winter jewels plus inc aoe is worth it. Without the reach that gives you, i would sometimes charge into the start of the next pack before i got any damage on it. The extra pulse sometimes would take care of those mobs. YMMV if you're playing slower though.
Last edited by Perce79 on Mar 7, 2019, 9:38:57 PM
@thi3n what will you be starting with if not this build?
@thi3n Did u updated the passives, support gems in the PoB? One more thing, double kikazaru is mandatory? Can i trade them for an essence worm and a shaper's ring?
Last edited by crespilho on Mar 7, 2019, 11:20:53 PM
"
crespilho wrote:
@thi3n Did u updated the passives, support gems in the PoB? One more thing, double kikazaru is mandatory? Can i trade them for an essence worm and a shaper's ring?

Did you read the guide? Thi3n recommends essence worm and another ring as shown in the gear section. The kikazaru version is an alternate.
"
@thi3n what will you be starting with if not this build?
My Storm Brand Inquis https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2326164/

"

"
Did you read the guide? Thi3n recommends essence worm and another ring as shown in the gear section. The kikazaru version is an alternate.
Thanks.
why no elemental focus on GC???

and if we have 40% enchant on helmet we dnt need 2 LongWinter jewel on tree?? yes or no?
"
spanishboy728 wrote:
why no elemental focus on GC???

and if we have 40% enchant on helmet we dnt need 2 LongWinter jewel on tree?? yes or no?

You can use elemental focus if you want and its listed in "link" section but i'm only using it duirng boss fights.

If you have enchant for 40% you dont need any other converison item bc gc have 60% conversion.

@thi3n Hi. which tree is the right one. Tree on PoB is from the last league with acrobatic but the tree changed there a bit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info