Act 10 Kitava fight is absolutely stupid

"
acester wrote:
too long, too hard? you guys need to go play candy crush or something. the game should be a challenge, mapping should be gated behind a final boss. whats the point in skipping the fight coming back and rolling over it? that's not "challenging". if you prepare the fights not a problem.
There's a difference between something being challenging and something being bullshit.
"
acester wrote:
mapping should be gated behind a final boss. whats the point in skipping the fight coming back and rolling over it? that's not "challenging". if you prepare the fights not a problem.

Because it is the same trap GGG fell into with Nightmare/Merc and act4. By the time you geared up to finish act 4 (where the content was much harder than previous) then act 1 in the next level was like going backward. Much easier. Same with Kiv and gating maps. He is simply much harder than any map Tier 1 or 2 - so player has to spend a lot of useless time over leveling in act 10 in boring lower level areas. this is especially true when you are in a new league and are not twinked.
Thought I might be one of few having problems, but it's the extra monsters rather than Kitava himself. I've got Arc with additional chaining and curse on hit with conductivity, then storm call with spell echo, controlled destruction, and life leech(vaal pact + ghost reaver) so that's about 2k damage per use which I can output 4 x 2 with spell echo.

Like I said though, the extra monsters.. If I die to them, they crowd the door and if I manage to lightning warp to an empty spot, there's still not enough time to get off arc + storm call, and I only have about 3k es and much less life, so life flasks don't help much. Also do they leech mana? Seems like sometimes my mana would drain before I could finish casting.

Edit: no they don't leech. Forgot I had mind over matter lol
Last edited by ReinEuthanasia on Sep 8, 2017, 3:44:58 AM
Yeah, just gave this fight a crack on my wild strike scion, max'd out resists and over 20k dps. If she dies in the phase with the heart out (and all the mobs spawning) when I come back in she just dies again, then come back in to twice as many mobs and dies instantly, then again, and again. What a cool fight...

It's not that it's too tough, it's just that it's very VERY un-fun to play. I don't know what is with the obsession with tiny areas to move in and big areas of damage, along with masses of summoned mobs. So many of the new bosses seem to fit this description, where there is hardly any room to move around in and you just spend minute after minute running around getting the odd hit here and there on the boss before running some more, and if you mis-time your run you just get one-shot. That is a horrible experience.

On top of this, why are all the areas a complete snore-fest in difficulty, then the end boss is the killing machine that you just have to throw your character's lives at? Why not scale up the difficulty of the areas to get people prepared for this? You could get to Kitava with a naked under-levelled character, then you go through 20 deaths to kill the boss with decent gear on? It would help to get used to hard fights if there was a bit more of a challenge throughout the areas leading up to them.

Anyway, after my TP disappeared after one of the deaths, meaning I had to run back through two re-loaded areas to get back to the really awful fight, I think that's enough PoE for me for a bit! I'd love to see this fight changed, not made easier but just improved. More room, more interesting mechanics, less spawned in mobs that mean you have to fit a very specific build to not just die repeatedly, and just generally less being awful.

The end areas of Act9 get a pretty good balance, I think. Act 10 is just the biggest disappointment when you get to the end of it.
I came back to 3.0 after a year absence of PoE. I must say, I I enjoyed it until the kitava rip. I actually died to her last heart phase, where the ADDS one shot me. I didn't even see how they killed me, I just died instantly from something.

The entire fight is IMO a shitshow. There is WAY too much stuff going on in the screen, too much clutter and effects. A good boss fight is one where you can literally kill him without taking a hit of damage because you outplayed its mechanics.

However my biggest gripe is that maps are locked behind it. It should be like merc malachai, where it's optional to kill him once you come back stronger. It's absolutely stupid that maps are locked. Some builds don't shine until late game
Last edited by woodyfly on Sep 8, 2017, 5:47:42 AM
So after a little bit of leveling up and respecing and changing equipment and skills, I finally beat the bastard and now I can finally do maps. Has my opinion on him changed?

Nope, still bullshit. Still died probably about 30 times at least. Redoing things with my build helped immensely but the boss is still ridiculous. Honestly, I don't think it would be so bad if you at least had more room to maneuver away from the screen-filling hazards. He feels more like a post-game superboss.
Last edited by ChaosLord121 on Sep 8, 2017, 8:15:55 PM
Kitava ACT 10 is the hardest boss for the campaign, that's for sure. If you play HC, it's challenging. If u play normal, it's ok. You die and go try again. You can't go there with an uncomplete build. As somebody wrote, Kitava ACT 10 is boss compared to Tier 10 maps. And you have to kill Kitava to open map device.

Many other bosses you can kill with no gear, just because of easy mechanics. Kitava is very strong even if you know everything. Just one mistake and you go down for 4k HP. PoE isn't easy game. That's the reason why we play it.
Up until this boss fight, i had no indication that my build is struggling. In fact i though it's quite all right, without deaths on most of the boss fights. Then i hit this wall of instant death bs and now i have to farm apparently just so i can finish the story.

Whoever came with this mechanics needs to be exiled.
Last edited by Ipos on Sep 13, 2017, 4:18:41 AM
"
woodyfly wrote:
Some builds don't shine until late game

Those that play that kinds of builds, and I count in CI/ES and LL into those, are what I usually calls advanced builds. And those that play those should really know what they are doing.

If a build doesn't "work" until late game (which is fine) it needs a "leveling setup/build" until that time.
With 3.0 you can't just run naked through the story and then start equiping the char... That worked without problem in <3.0 but not anymore..

A lot of build guides are missing that "leveling setup" part or just breaze over very quickly.
Basicly they give the lvl92 tree and equipment setup and not much more...
And thats a major problem with Kitava. So there is something many of the build guide writes will have to improve alot on.
First time I faced act 10 Kitava with my cyclone Berserker, I had not a bad gear, capped resists, tons of regen and huge life leech and life pool. I just facetanked him with occasional use of 5 life flasks (many of them were instant). Really, it was one of the easiest fights. Have to admit, I killed A5 Innocence very fast and without deaths too. This was solid char, I died only once before mid-maps.

But when I came to act 10 Kitava with my necromancer summoner with zombies, skeletons, spectres (without dying before), I finished him with 1 death and ~3 portals. This is very badly designed fight, and yes, I was frustrated. Tons of barely avoidable shit.
dead game
bring back 3.13

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info