[3.8] LiftingNerdBro's Tri/Quad Frostbolt Totems Hierophant - Strong League Starter!

"
SUPERFLUXXX wrote:
"
Woofa wrote:
Hey LNB,

Thanks a lot for making this build, I really like the idea behind it and the choices make a lot of sense to me. I will use a build inspired by this one in the upcoming league. I'm playing on softcore and my goal is to reach lvl 100 quickly by mapping efficiently.

I assume you designed this mainly with hardcore in mind, so I have made a few changes to the build to hopefully suit my needs a bit better. The main difference is that I will be using a dagger and shield in order to make use of shield charge. I'm also taking a bit more damage and fewer defensive nodes in the tree.

Here is the PoB link: https://pastebin.com/CgfieTcA

Obviously I'm not taking the staff nodes since I'll be using a dagger. I also decided not to go into the marauder area, but instead head over to the shadow area to pick up extra crit nodes and some attack speed for faster clearing. I also focused a bit more on QoL by taking the extra totem placement speed near the life wheel.

One of the reasons for going dagger/shield is that I'm afraid that a 6L Taryn's Shiver might be very expensive and I think it will be a bit faster if I can use shield charge to get around.

Overall I'm losing some tankyness, but the damage should be a bit higher(according to PoB). Since I will probably be running mostly strands the loss of tankyness shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I'd love to get some feedback from you or anyone interested because I'm not very experienced at making builds so I might be overlooking something important about losing the staff.

Thanks and GL in 3.0!

looks good, i have only one suggestion for you, try to pick Inquisitor instead of Hierophant. It has more damage.

Thanks for the input. I've thought about going inquisitor and it does increase the damage by quite a bit, however I feel like having 4 totems will be great for mapping as fast as possible and make for a nice QoL improvement because you don't have to worry about leaving some mobs alive by resummoning your totems too quickly.
@Woofa

And how about a Elemental Overload crit-less version? Would that make sense?
Would the tree be the same for an inquisitor? Also any comparison between Inquis and heiro? I ask because with bosses being buffed HP wise in 3.0, heiro might just take super long to kill them, and losing the map clearing speed wouldnt be too bad
"
"
Do you level with totem freezing pule or self cast? Thank you for any response.

I had 2 Frozen Trails available from the get go when I leveled this, so because of that I just self-casted frostbolt until I could go dual totems.

If you don't have the jewels available from the beginning, I'd recommend self casting freezing pulse until you do :)

If you're starting late, just buy a frozen trail, rush to jewel socket below MoM and link it with spell totem for extra damage, and self cast frostbolt til you want to go ancestral bond. It's insane!

But if you're starting day 1 or 2 or going SSF, I have a bit of a different suggestion :

1. I'd 'mule' a shadow and grab a fire trap and since you're there go get the extra quicksilver;

2. Stash that stuff and start your templar. Use fire trap + freeze pulse to 12 (add supports when possible);

3. At 12, instead of freeze pulse I'd level with firestorm and fire trap and decoy totem, or firestorm firestorm totem and fire trap. The reason I suggest this is because you have no projectile or cold scaling at this point in leveling, and firestorm just feels superior to freeze pulse.

4. Don't take ancestral bond (unless you want to just use two firestorm totems) until you get the quest reward for Frozen Trail. Then immediately switch to dual totem frostbolt (make sure you're leveling frostbolt and anything else you want in weapon swap slots).
Last edited by jolsen26 on Aug 4, 2017, 2:31:38 PM
"
Sourcesys wrote:
Hello, I am really leaning towards this build, just because I never played Hierophant or Pizza Sticks. Whats the difference betweent Frostbolt Totems and Flameblast Totems? Does this build have pros over Flameblast Totems? How do they compare.

First, they are vastly different skills. Flameblast (FB) is an aoe ability, and fire; and frostbolt is a projectile and cold.

FB Totems wills till be strong, but it's hard to tell how strong compared to 2.6.

Frostbolt feels great, but not until you get at least one frozen trail. This has to do with cast and projectile speed, as well as the fact that if you want more projectiles while leveling, you suffer from a Less damage multiplier. You don't suffer this penalty with the jewel!

Ultimately it's preference. But I love the added defensive layer with chill and freeze from frostbolt totem.

Regarding ascendancy, there are a bunch of options. Inquisitor probably strongest DPS potential. Also elementalist, or a couple others. (maybe chieftain with fire conversion; or scion with hierophant+deadeye with an essence of horror in the helm)

Ultimately it's up to you, but hierophant is also very beginner friendly. Has a +10% to MoM effect, has passive power and endurance charge generation, and strong totems.
Last edited by jolsen26 on Aug 4, 2017, 12:32:15 PM
Not sure if i misunderstand something but are the Frozen Trail Jewels even worth it
when we dont sockel it somewhere with 40 Int in Radius?

Or do i just misunderstand the view in PoB?

https://imgur.com/W8R14th
Last edited by SerVeyates on Aug 4, 2017, 12:53:19 PM
So how is this build in leveling to akt 10 at all? Will he struggle with bosses in the higher acts or run well? Since I dont care to skip bosses on maps but I get annoyed if I struggle with them while leveling.

Ty
"
jolsen26 wrote:
"
Sourcesys wrote:
Hello, I am really leaning towards this build, just because I never played Hierophant or Pizza Sticks. Whats the difference betweent Frostbolt Totems and Flameblast Totems? Does this build have pros over Flameblast Totems? How do they compare.

First, they are vastly different skills. Flameblast (FB) is an aoe ability, and fire; and frostbolt is a projectile and cold.

FB Totems wills till be strong, but it's hard to tell how strong compared to 2.6.

Frostbolt feels great, but not until you get at least one frozen trail. This has to do with cast and projectile speed, as well as the fact that if you want more projectiles while leveling, you suffer from a Less damage multiplier. You don't suffer this penalty with the jewel!

Ultimately it's preference. But I love the added defensive layer with chill and freeze from frostbolt totem.

Regarding ascendancy, there are a bunch of options. Inquisitor probably strongest DPS potential. Also elementalist, or a couple others. (maybe chieftain with fire conversion; or scion with hierophant+deadeye with an essence of horror in the helm)

Ultimately it's up to you, but hierophant is also very beginner friendly. Has a +10% to MoM effect, has passive power and endurance charge generation, and strong totems.

Thank you for your clear up jolsen26 :)
Is it OK to go Inquisitor or will I lose too much? Im also thinking about trying out the new Storm Burst skill with CWC Frostbolt so wanna be able to easily respec if I want to later.
IGN: DabrixRN
Last edited by Thomasmgp on Aug 4, 2017, 5:18:10 PM
What ascendacy points would you recommend to take as Inquisitor?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info