Damage Over Time Changes - More Information

"
Wazz72 wrote:
"
Is the design intent of correcting double dipping also going to come with a rebalance of end-game monster HP?
This is something we'll be reviewing during Beta. It's unlikely that we'll change the health of the highest tier content; The most effective Damage over Time builds made the content far easier than was intended, and with these new changes the bosses should be a more suitable encounter length for powerful builds.

Why do you ALWAYS balance around meta builds with GG items?? It's like saying a big F U to everyone else playing non-FOTM meta builds.

...losing faith...

They will obviously need to balance the game around the good builds. Otherwise if your build is average or bad and could kill shaper easily, the good builds will just trivialise him.

The current problem is not that they balance the game around the good builds, of course they should do that. The current problem is that they are some broken mechanics (double dipping as discussed here) that make all other kind of builds bad. If you have a game where all mechanics/skills ara balanced then you will be able to make a good build with any mechanic as long as you focus to a good combination of concepts (offence, defence etc) and invest in good gear.

Now in practice balancing the game is very hard and we will always end up having meta builds but any improvement to the balance of the game is a positive move.
If I have a spectre that do DoT, do minion damage passives scale the DoT or not?
"
Righteous Fire's Damage over Time never took its base damage from a hit (Righteous Fire is not Ignite), so it could never double-dip, and will not be affected by the changes. However, it will now be scaled by any new modifiers to Damage over Time that are added alongside these mechanical changes (but not modifiers that are specific to Ignite Damage). It will be rebalanced to account for these improvements in support available for the skill.

Please don't ruin it! T.T
Bring back RF! D:
So in one of the post you mentioned support skills playing a part increasing damage to ignite, bleeding, and poison. And that you intend on changing how these interactions work. So my question is will This only be Buffs or will Decreases in damage all so be affected by this change?
"
morbo wrote:
HoA = "new burning effect", WTF do you have to complicate things further? This game already has too many obscure exceptions as is.

I really don't see what makes it complicated. They are not introducing some new kind of novel mechanic that only exists to make HoA work.

Its actually a very simple change. Instead of "Igniting" enemies on kill HoA will apply a "burning" debuff on kill. (FYI Ignite =/= Burning in case you didn't know)
"
Tyoll wrote:
"
morbo wrote:
HoA = "new burning effect", WTF do you have to complicate things further? This game already has too many obscure exceptions as is.

I really don't see what makes it complicated. They are not introducing some new kind of novel mechanic that only exists to make HoA work.

Its actually a very simple change. Instead of "Igniting" enemies on kill HoA will apply a "burning" debuff on kill. (FYI Ignite =/= Burning in case you didn't know)

Looks like an entirely new thing to me:

"
Herald of Ash has been reworked. Rather than applying Ignite to enemies, it applies its own unique burning effect. There is a specific property which is displayed on the skill restricting which modifiers can apply to that burning effect, to prevent any double-dipping. Since this is a new kind of burning effect, it will stack with existing forms of burning, including Ignite.

This game is already full of quirks and exceptions to rules, which are hard to remember even for long-time players, let alone for newcomers. X works like that, but not when Y, because X is not Z, but actually Q.... meh.. -_-
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
GGG, aren't you afraid creating so many exceptions to rules will over-complicate the game for new players?

Gem tags are full of exceptions which makes playing this game very hard without spamming the forum with noobish questions.
interesting but i wonder how will the game become appealing to the slow players that just get frustrated having to grind through acts again before they can map?
Hargan is my spirit NPC which one is yours?
"
sidtherat wrote:
the more i read it all the more i see it as a overly complicated stuff that tries its best to explain its own existence

this 'system' is so convoluted and complex and plain fuzzy that alone should be a warning that something is not going right

3 articles about as simple as DoT in a game? even if only 10% of this system is somewhat flawed (And it most likely will be on the first try) then it will turn out to be a complete mess

magic keystones, sepcial modifiers, 4 types of burning with only one proper, damage types that are 'specia' and apply twice as opposed to others that do only once..

was it really this difficult to just copy Grim Dawn's system of 'hit' 'post-hit' scaling? and solve all the past, current and potential issues all at once?

it surely looks like too big to be done correctly and building a mess over a mess to fix a mess.. sorry, im highly sceptical about this

it will take one mess and provide us with yet another. then 2 years of waiting for fix, then another mess..

system issues cannot be fixed with bandaids. no matter how numerous..

This, so much this
POE - The really good game that was nitpicked to death.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info