Damage Over Time Changes - More Information

"
KimmEEE wrote:
"
RIOTxHotD wrote:
Please dont nerf shocks multiplier :(

Shock dont give a Multiplier. It just gives 50% increased Damage.
its kinda a multiplier

it affects damage enemies take, which is different modifier than damage you deal.. so if shock is the only effect that affects damage taken on enemies, then it is a straight more multiplier

but it stacks additively with other "enemy damage taken" modifiers, like ie vulnerability..
Every Class 100
Discord Alex22#8812 if u cant catch me online in Poe
Maybe with the DoT changes, you can give axes something less boring than more base damage like "%inc to Damage Over Time" or "%inc to Damage Multiplier". A mediocre improvement to base damage isn't all that fun.
Last edited by Konquezt on May 4, 2017, 8:01:38 AM
This is getting extremely messy, and I can still see some potential for abuse cases, in the mess I'm sure there will be more.

Your original 1.0 system where only damage over time related mods could ever affect damage over time was much more intuitive, and would have avoided all the problems over the years generated by ignite, bleed and poison, not sure why you ever discarded that system and why you are not reverting back to it now.

I see that people complaining about the new changes or about the game becoming more complex but don't seem to understand how the game works and how complex it is.

Before you judge the new change, please try to become informed about the current game state, the problems it has and what the changes discuss here are aiming to solve.

"
jesus christ ggg, this is so embarassing.

What's embarassing?

"
Zed_ wrote:
This is getting extremely messy, and I can still see some potential for abuse cases, in the mess I'm sure there will be more.

Your original 1.0 system where only damage over time related mods could ever affect damage over time was much more intuitive, and would have avoided all the problems over the years generated by ignite, bleed and poison, not sure why you ever discarded that system and why you are not reverting back to it now.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the system worked differently back then.

Surelly ignite was present back then and it worked the same as now. The only difference is that it became more powerful as more multipliers became available to players and also players became more aware of the mechanics.

If this is incorrect could you point out when this was changed and how it worked before that?
"
phmn wrote:
"
Wazz72 wrote:
"
Is the design intent of correcting double dipping also going to come with a rebalance of end-game monster HP?
This is something we'll be reviewing during Beta. It's unlikely that we'll change the health of the highest tier content; The most effective Damage over Time builds made the content far easier than was intended, and with these new changes the bosses should be a more suitable encounter length for powerful builds.

Why do you ALWAYS balance around meta builds with GG items?? It's like saying a big F U to everyone else playing non-FOTM meta builds.

...losing faith...

They will obviously need to balance the game around the good builds. Otherwise if your build is average or bad and could kill shaper easily, the good builds will just trivialise him.

Good builds, I totally agree. GGG stated "THE MOST EFFECTIVE" (with likely GG uniques/gear), that's where I have a problem!
They create a game with so much choices/diversity and content, but then they balance around the top 1% and the rest is left to ...

Spoiler
...watch streamers :-(
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
Last edited by Wazz72 on May 4, 2017, 8:54:35 AM
"
Wazz72 wrote:
"
phmn wrote:

They will obviously need to balance the game around the good builds. Otherwise if your build is average or bad and could kill shaper easily, the good builds will just trivialise him.

Good builds, I totally agree. GGG stated "the MOST EFFECTIVE DoT builds (with most likely GG uniques/gear), that's where I have a problem.!
They create a game with so much choices/diversity , but then they balance around the top 1% and the rest is left to ...

Spoiler
...watch streamers :-(

Where did it say that they will balance the game around the most effective dot builds?

It says:

"The most effective Damage over Time builds made the content far easier than was intended,"

So because DoT/double-dipping builds were broken it was far easier to kill guardias/shaper than what they expected.

So they are trying to fix this so that the fight is more challenging:

"with these new changes the bosses should be a more suitable encounter length for powerful builds."

It said most powerful builds. No mention on "meta builds" or "dot builds".
Last edited by phmn on May 4, 2017, 8:58:16 AM
Since you're saying the HP of Guardians/Shaper won't be lowered, at least could you balance the tier 13-15 maps so they have a better difficulty curve? Currently i feel they are too easy, compared to the guardians. I plowed through every map tier boss like they were made of butter, but the guardians felt like i've hit a brick wall. I don't think this is normal; the player needs an early hint that his build needs more damage for the guardians, it's not ok to suddenly realize this the moment he's facing them. My 2c.

Last edited by D3adGh0st on May 4, 2017, 9:03:57 AM
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
For fire based spellcasters, crit and non-crit have both been appealing options, because both have two ways to scale their damage (initial hit damage and multi for crit and ignite damage for non-crit). The Ignite system only allows one-dimensional scaling and thus will either be extremely powerful early on, or it will get outclassed very quickly by crit based builds that ignore ignite. How will you counteract that problem?

Criticals are now one of the most effective ways to scale damage at the highest level of play. Their damage increases come from a large number of sources, so we can adjust critical chance and critical multiplier values available to players in many different ways. We'll be keeping a close eye on this during the Beta, as Criticals have often been responsible for the highest potential damage in the past.

We're also continuing to look at ways to keep Damage over Time scaling at the same rate as other damage towards end game, through both supports, access to damage modifiers, and potential new special effects on items, passives and supports.

The main question there seems to have been ignored. "How will you counteract that problem?" Doesn't sound like you will. The new keystone sounds like it will only affect crit DoT, so there will be no point in attempting to scale ignite or other ailment damage as non-crit characters. You also said in this post that Emberwake is changing, and it sounds like for the worse if it will only scale by means of the keystone and crit.

This is an awful lot of work to change something that is easy to understand (scaling from initial hit + multi) to something getting its own separate mechanic that can only be influenced by one specific thing. This is not creating new avenues for build diversity; it is limiting them by forcing you to do one thing to play a certain way. Not the Path of Exile I used to know.
(2-3-2019) Buff underused skills (3.23?!)+ selfcast, stop nerfing defense, build in threshold jewels (3.23?!), implement D3-style looting, add death log + MTX preview, actually rework flasks, stop balancing around the .01%, unnerf Harvest, ADD NEW WAYS TO LEVEL, finally implement Loot 2.0
Last edited by Ashriel on May 4, 2017, 9:03:20 AM
Too complex Kappa
#BringBackOriginalScionPortrait
#BringBackOriginalAscendantPortrait
#BringBackCruelMerciless
"
potfrr wrote:
Too complex Kappa

this game is very meth heavy tho unKappa

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type