Damage Over Time Changes - More Information

How can one apply for the beta?
Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
Will the new Herald Of Ash ignite still be able to prolif with Elementalist Prolif or Elemental Proliferation Support?
"
GooberM wrote:
This will soon have more parts than the SW movies

Don't say that! It would mean the next three parts will be shit.
How does this change conflux am i still going to ignite with phys damage?
With these changes, will you be able to revert the nerfs to chaos conversion for Voltaxic, Consuming Dark and Infernal Mantle?
I have questions regarding attacks.

It was stated that these dots will be determined by base damage. Certain attacks have a base damage modifier.

For example heavy strike has a 193.7% base damage and double strike 96.6%. Does this carry over to an ignite proc? So heavy strike ignites are 2X larger than a double strike?

Also what happens with multistrike. Currently it's worded to do 30% less attack dmg, will this be changed so it also makes an ignite/bleed/poison to also be 30% less?

Edit: along these same lines, how do facebreakers work. Will they modify "base" damage (if they already do can the wording be changed)? If not ignites/poison will be laughable on unarmed builds
Last edited by Hellsfire on May 4, 2017, 11:19:55 AM
"
I'm a little (a LOT, in fact :D) confused with all these changes.

For example:

Say, I play a Burning arrow character. I have a 100-200 phys and 50-100 fire bow. I use Burning Arrow and Avatar of Fire, so I have 150-300 fire damage with a single bow attack (not mentioning the Burning Arrow % damage increase and chance to ignite, for the sake of simplicity). I will Ignite enemies for 150-300 burning damage, correct? Now, to my questions:

1) Burning duration? How many damage per second I will actually inflict? Will it be 150-300 per one sec, or per 10 sec, or whatever.

2) Say, I have a ring with 50-100 fire damage added to attacks. So I have 200-400 fire damage with a single attack. Will I ignite for 200-400 then, or my Burning damage won't be affected by that ring mod? I guess it won't since burning effect itself is not an attack, but...

3) Forget about that ring. Say, I have 100% Proj Damage increased and 100% Fire Damage increased. I will deal 450-900 fire dmg with initial attack and will ignite my enemy for 300-600 fire dmg, right?

3) Screw everything above. Say, I've linked my Burning Arrow with LMP, will it decrease my burning damage?

4) Say, I got my hands on Emberwake and activated my Herald of Ash. Will I be able to stack this new uniq burning effect from HoA up to 300 times? Will it's initial burning damage depend on my basic bow fire attack damage, or it will have it's own damage as HoL and HoI does?

Also... If there will be the mod "Elemental Attack Damage" which will affect burning inflicted by attack, will "Attack Damage" mod affect burning? My... brain... hurts...

If anyone could answer some of my questions that would be really nice, thx.

So I don't think they've mentioned how damage conversion applies to this yet but lemme give it a go.

1) Damage per second will be ur base hit (150-300) applied over the usual ignite duration (4 seconds) unless you have 'increased ignite duration'
2) I don't remember reading about this yet but I feel it is safe to assume that flat increases in fire damage are the same as % increases and multipliers. This means that your ignite will ignore the jewelry and still do 150-300.
3) Projectile damage and Fire damage % increases should no longer apply to ignites/burning so this will have no effect. Your damage will be 150-300.
3) This one worries me but if increases in projectile damage do not apply to dot then decreases should not apply either. You will still ignite for the base damage of you skill. (150-300)
4) Don't even worry about emberwake or HOA, they've already said they are reworking those and we'll find out more info later.

What does all of this mean? If you want to scale your burning damage you will no longer care about % increase fire damage on your skill. You will only care about '% increased burning damage' or '% increased burning damage from ignite' or '% increased damage over time'. In other words you will no longer care about how big the initial hit is and you will only scale the damage over time effects.

Maths:
Ex. You hit for 200 dmg on your 150-300 burning arrow and it ignites the enemy. You have 100% increased burning damage and it applies a burn of 400 dps for 4 seconds.
Ex. You have a ring that adds a flat 20 fire damage to your attacks and you have a drillneck with 100% chance to pierce. You hit the enemy for (200+20)*2=440 damage and it ignites the enemy. The base damage of your attack is still 200 so it applies a burn of 200 dps over 4 seconds.

It is important to note that they said they will be reworking fire arrow as well so much of how it works will be changed. Either way don't bother thinking about it too much. It will all seem very simple once people start playing it. People screaming out questions is just confusing everyone. The system itself is actually very boring and uninteresting.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong on number 2! Apparently flat additions to fire will increase the ignite damage just not the % increases or multipliers. Looks like the new burning arrow build will gear up a lot like mr petrovs old beta LA build.
Last edited by Schmeelk on May 4, 2017, 11:58:58 AM
"
Schmeelk wrote:

2) I don't remember reading about this yet but I feel it is safe to assume that flat increases in fire damage are the same as % increases and multipliers. This means that your ignite will ignore the jewelry and still do 150-300.

Actually the first post says it's determined by base damage which does include flat dmg adds (and should take into affect conversions as well).

"
Rory wrote:

In the Beta for The Fall of Oriath, we're going to be trying out a new damage over time system. Skills will calculate their Ignite, Poison or Bleed values as a separate damage value, taken straight from the base and added damage of the skill.
Last edited by Hellsfire on May 4, 2017, 11:09:34 AM
"
TettaVolante wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
the more i read it all the more i see it as a overly complicated stuff that tries its best to explain its own existence

this 'system' is so convoluted and complex and plain fuzzy that alone should be a warning that something is not going right

3 articles about as simple as DoT in a game? even if only 10% of this system is somewhat flawed (And it most likely will be on the first try) then it will turn out to be a complete mess

magic keystones, sepcial modifiers, 4 types of burning with only one proper, damage types that are 'specia' and apply twice as opposed to others that do only once..

was it really this difficult to just copy Grim Dawn's system of 'hit' 'post-hit' scaling? and solve all the past, current and potential issues all at once?

it surely looks like too big to be done correctly and building a mess over a mess to fix a mess.. sorry, im highly sceptical about this

it will take one mess and provide us with yet another. then 2 years of waiting for fix, then another mess..

system issues cannot be fixed with bandaids. no matter how numerous..

This, so much this

+1
"
Hellsfire wrote:
"
Schmeelk wrote:

Actually the first post says it's determined by base damage which does include flat dmg adds (and should take into affect conversions as well).

Thanks! Must've glossed over that. Looks like thos flat elemental mods will go up in price now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info